New Years Weekend BLM being very strict!

thatblondetess

So we just headed home a couple hours ago and on our way out we had some trouble from the BLM. We arrived early Thursday morning and there were no rangers when we arrived. On our way out my brother stopped to buy a pass and the BLM began circling his truck and trailer... He has a Chevy and is towing our quad and Teryx on a flat bed. They began questioning him on registration for the quad and Teryx... Honestly our mistake for not having our registration tags on the quad so they wrote us a ticket but then the BLM took it to far... They spent 5 minutes examining the hundred dollar bill that my brother used to pay for the pass because they thought it was fake. They asked my brother if he was intoxicated to which he responded that he has been sober for over 90 days and even showed them his sobriety chips. They called him a liar and made him take a field sobriety test and AFTER determining that he was indeed sober they said they would be nice and not impound the quad if he agreed to let them use a drug detection dog to search his truck. WTF?!! So after yet more searching and using their dog they still came back empty handed when they found nothing in the truck. Then they questioned my brothers tinted truck tail lights.. He had to pump his brakes for them and told them he installed LEDs to make sure the tail lights were legal. They then again said they didn't believe that he was actually sober and sent him on his way. As someone who has been coming to the dunes since I was an infant this just seems ridiculous. Anyone else remember the days of free entry? I am ok with supporting the dunes but that just seemed like an abuse of power...

But I was happy to see a watered and freshly grated don't road on the way out:)

Someone got stopped in my camp when pulling In friday night about 9 pm. They did the whole flash light thing and asked questions. What happen to probably cause.

It seems to me that they are not getting money from tickets cause many at dumont follow the rules compared to glamis. So they are making stuff up. I also have been going since a kid and had a much better time with zero fee and if someone got hurt yes you had to get a helicopter from vegas I believe but we had the number on hand and knew it would be expensive.

Like everything else in society, this revolves around money.

That is complete bull**** and an obvious violations of our rights ! I am sick and tire of this stuff happening. If this happens to you I suggest that you remain calm, take note of everything that is happening, and do not give consent to anything. Politely stand up to them.

I am assuming since you posted this in an open forum that you are open to discussion....Just so I have your story correct, Your brother entered the "park" without purchasing a weekend pass on a major holiday weekend even though it is posted so well that Helen Keller would have known, rode all weekend on unregistered OHVs, tried to to purchase a pass on the way out and BLM took up a whole 5 minutes to examine a $100 bill (he apparently had the $ to buy a pass upon entry unless he hit the ATM at bathroom 6) and got questioned by the authorities who were kind enough not to impound his toys even though they are well within their authority to do so, kind enough not to site him for his tail lights....and they wouldn't accept his sobriety chips as proof he wasn't intoxicated? Well the nerve of these people abusing their authority!!!

I have been enjoying Dumont for 12 years, bought my season passes, paid my registration....never been hassled.....weird

I realize that i am probably in the minority here but I pay my fees, follow the rules and appreciate the service (and EMS) of the officers presence.

• Like 5

When did they start taking "Cash" for the passes. I was under the impression that only a Credit or Debit card was able to be used in the machines and no body was allowed to take cash for a pass. The reason for no cash in the machines is due to the probable vandalization / theft to / of the machines. :dunno:

• Like 1

Someone got stopped in my camp when pulling In friday night about 9 pm. They did the whole flash light thing and asked questions. What happen to probably cause.

It seems to me that they are not getting money from tickets cause many at dumont follow the rules compared to glamis. So they are making stuff up. I also have been going since a kid and had a much better time with zero fee and if someone got hurt yes you had to get a helicopter from vegas I believe but we had the number on hand and knew it would be expensive.

Like everything else in society, this revolves around money.

:2cents::stirthepot:

You never said why the person got checked pulling into your camp. Was it someone that just got there or someone in a toy that was already there? At the prices of the fines do you really think it about money? Are there that many tickets even given out unless it's a DUI or weapons or unsafe operation or something of that nature. Also were these officers BLM or San Bernardino Sheriffs Deputies. With some level of experience working alongside law enforcement...believe me there are an awful lot of possibilities for finding "probable cause" for a stop. Even more when your on Federal or State Land, if I'm not mistaken. The system is nowhere near perfect or will it ever be for some people but the alternatives might not be better.

For example I saw a story on the New York City Police Commissioner this morning and the police in New York can stop anyone they want to and frisk them. Statistics: Before this policy they had 3000 murders a year in the city. This year it will be under 400.

:old::usa:

• Like 1

If you read my post I did write that it was our mistake for not having the bike's registration. :tmi: It was not my brother's fault...the bike technically belongs to my dad (but I ride it) since we are lucky enough to be able to be supported by our dad while we are in school. We are 22 year old twins.. He had no way of knowing that the bike did not have registration on it.... My brother did tell the officers this but I am guessing they have heard many laundry lists of excuses and I understand that they were skeptical but holy moly they could have given him the ticket and sent him on his way not start harassing him. We recently moved and the registration for ONLY that bike had not been changed to the new address. ALL OF OUR OTHER TOYS ARE REGISTERED AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN. Sand car...Teryx... all of our two wheelers... My dad made an honest mistake on this and my brother was respectful to the officers and they were out of line... end of story.

Could he have got a pass on the way in? Yes... obviously. And he put himself at risk for not having it during our trip out there THURSDAY-SATURDAY but obviously we were not trying to not pay or anything like that.

PLEASE READ AGAIN! The tail lights ARE LEGAL. You are not reading my story correctly.... My brother specifically bought legal tinted tail lights to not do anything against the law.

Reason for using cash? They said that they would not accept his American Express to purchase a pass... So yeah he had the cash on him.

The only reason that all of this ticked us off is because I have seen literally HUNDREDS of out of control duners who think that it is okay to drink and then get in a sand rail, ride a quad, etc.... IT IS NEVER OKAY!!! EVER.

It just seemed like they were taking a little bit too much time trying to find something to write him up for when they could have been stopping all of the drinking and driving that happens on a holiday weekend.

My brother never gave them attitude and he could have easily denied them of their request to search his truck but he allowed them to do that... They did not have any probable cause to search the truck.. So whatever...Bottom line I posted this to let everyone know that things are changing around Dumont and to be more careful with following all rules and regulations.

I actually know people who make fake Dumont passes to avoid the fees.... So trust me when I say that we are very law abiding Dumont riders.

HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE. :hello:

I am assuming since you posted this in an open forum that you are open to discussion....Just so I have your story correct, Your brother entered the "park" without purchasing a weekend pass on a major holiday weekend even though it is posted so well that Helen Keller would have known, rode all weekend on unregistered OHVs, tried to to purchase a pass on the way out and BLM took up a whole 5 minutes to examine a $100 bill (he apparently had the $ to buy a pass upon entry unless he hit the ATM at bathroom 6) and got questioned by the authorities who were kind enough not to impound his toys even though they are well within their authority to do so, kind enough not to site him for his tail lights....and they wouldn't accept his sobriety chips as proof he wasn't intoxicated? Well the nerve of these people abusing their authority!!!

I have been enjoying Dumont for 12 years, bought my season passes, paid my registration....never been hassled.....weird

I realize that i am probably in the minority here but I pay my fees, follow the rules and appreciate the service (and EMS) of the officers presence.

I wanted to chime in here. I am her brother. As she said ALL of our other toys were registered, and when I arrived to Dumont Thursday there was NO ONE at the pay station. I was anticipating to buy my pass with cash all along. This is the first I have heard that they will not take cash. I have paid with cash multiple occasions when I know there will be BLM there. On off weekends, I am prepared to pay with my card. Our family typically buys two season passes a year for both our rigs so we are not trying to stiff anyone!

It seems they might have looked twice at you I agree

How you ensure it doesn't happen again don't give them an excuse. Buy your pass before you get out there. Even stopping at the pay station on the way in gives them an excuse.

Holiday weekends are a breading ground for illeagal activities they are on the look out. I'd say most duners are good people, especially now a days. But the new blm have proven to be a little tough. I don't blame them I'm sure they get "tude" more than not.

Paying on the way out is cause for a ticket and search. So what happened to you was in their rites and legal you broke the law. It's like saying ok I was speeding but I'll slow down.

I'd say lesson learned and you got off easy.

Btw welcome to DDR!!

Next time simply put forth the effort to purchase the required pass (I know it is tempting to try to do without the expense when leaving on a Sat), this will eliminate their probable cause to stop you on the way out. Problem solved. We spend a fair amount of time in Dumont as well as Glamis, yes I've been stopped, admittedly never without cause. The days of free access and being able to comfortably run around without proper registration are over. When people are being charged, they expect something in return, such as more security and reduction in crime (no registration = possible theft). I don't think its personal, the guys out there are not setting protocol. :beerpint:

We came in around 10:30 Thursday night... Not a ranger to be found... Bought a pass from the machine and it wouldn't print it out... Rode to the rangers station at like 9am to show them the cc transaction and get a pass and they were actually pretty nice... In fact they seemed a little frustrated with the machines being broken... Story was that they had been worked on over Christmas and were still broken so that's what the deal with cash for passes was this weekend... All that being said they did harass several members of our camp that were trickling in late Friday after work with the dog... Who knows anymore these days

i know when i left at noon today there was a less then happy group of LEOs and rangers at the pay station. as i drove up i held my holiday season pass out the window like always. i had to drive right up to them this time and they were a angry bunch i watched one of them rest his hand on his gun as i got close. i think the police state at the pay station is way out of line. keep hearing how BLM and the sheriff are broke but there was 10 of them at pay station doing nothing but searching for ticketed to write. what happened that warrants the increase of scrutiny at dumont?

Vegas Style, you are out there more than anyone I know, If you were concerned by the LEO's, that is saying something. I personally will not ever let anyone in my RV or home for that matter without probable cause and / or a warrant. Nothing to hide, it's the principle of the matter... Don't know how they can detain someone to let the dogs search around without probable cause?.?...

I've noticed the same thing, Steve. I barely saw any leo's all weekend until we left. There was a huge group of them at the pay station and even along the entrance road. Seems they could have been made better use of our dollars and their time by patrolling the camp area and dunes where there are potential safety concerns with speeders, no helmets, etc.

• Like 1

I would suggest that you voice your concerns with the Barstow Blm Field manager Katrina Simmons. I have repeatedly brought the total lack of patrol on off weekends and the over the top antics on holidays. I have gotten nowhere. I would suggest that you bring her your concerns via e-mail or phone calls;

Symons, Katrina L GS0340 - Field Manager (760) 252-6004 ksymons@blm.gov

Vegas Style, you are out there more than anyone I know, If you were concerned by the LEO's, that is saying something. I personally will not ever let anyone in my RV or home for that matter without probable cause and / or a warrant. Nothing to hide, it's the principle of the matter... Don't know how they can detain someone to let the dogs search around without probable cause?.?...

Bottom line is they can't. Anytime you are stopped by LEO it is considered an "arrest". Meaning you are not free to go. The courts will look at the time involved to determine if it was excessive.

Stop to ask for your pass- Still an arrest but totally legal to do. Now stop me and have me wait for a dog to sniff around without any other reason? They better have a damn good reason for this one. I never identify myself as a LEO until I feel the need to. I like to see what they are up to before I call BS as I know the law too.

Bottom line is-- play by the rules and SMILE. Attitude can get you into a lot of trouble. If trouble finds you and your in the right, get names of all involved and maybe a witness or two or thirty.

Feel a little vindicated right now. That was the point of my other post about BLM's right to enforce state law. They are out of control and need a good lawsuit or two to hopefully get them some training. I think the problem is they want to be cops but in all reality they are rangers with minimal law enforcement training. They should be out chasing Yogi bear not worrying about tinted taillights.

We noticed a lot of LEO activity over the last week. It really appeared that they were looking for problems. It did not seem like they were there to protect and serve. They were constantly pulling people over in front of our spot on vendor row. Business was slow enough :finger: . I have never personally had any experience with them and hope to keep it that way. It felt a lot like how I always hear Glamis is.

Glamis is ridiculous on a holiday weekend. Halloween my buddy got his motor home stuck a little on cement flats and were digging him out and putting boards down cause we were slightly in the way of the cement path to lower cement flats and a leo came over and askedfor his pass llicense the whole 9 yards for nothing. Not saying anything about us being stuck or offer to help. My buddy was nice and great attitude but it took 20 mins when were busy trying to get unstuck. It was ridiculous.