Death at Dumont?

Derblank

According to CHP website, they reported using green Kawi off road vehicle to locate subject past entrance at Dumont Dunes. Next report was 1144 (Fatality) and mercy air was enroute...

Today about 0930..... I was suprised anyone would be out there in the day time....maybe it was heatstroke...

here is the jist of it...

11:09AM PER 70/OIC 1039 C

11:01AM 1039 H80

10:52AM PER MISTY AT SBSO-CORONER WAS NOT SENT OUT YET, MAY BE GOING E/R SHORTLY

10:13AM 1039 ANNIE AT SBSO FOR CORONER

10:09AM 1144 CONFIRMED, START THE CORONER

9:44AM H80 W/B GUIDING IN OFF ROAD VEHS TO THE SCENE

9:35AM LOOK FOR GRN KAWA SHOULD BE GETTING CLOSE TO THE ENTRANCE NOW

9:35AM 75 AT THE ENTRANCE NO VEHS TO GUIDE IN, FOLLOWING COMM CENTER

9:16AM 1039 H80 REF LINE ABOVE

9:15AM MERCY AIR 7 27 MIN ETA

9:05AM 1039 COMM CENTER FOR LINE 7/8

9:05AM SUBJ STILL UNCONCIOUS

9:05AM PER ANOTHER CALLER HE WILL GO TO THE ENTRANCE IN A WHI CHEV F500, WILL NEED OFF RD VEHICLE FOR ACCESS

RESPONDING OFFICERS STATUS

11:00AM CHP Unit Enroute

11:02AM CHP Unit On Scene

11:02AM CHP Unit On Scene

Edited by Derblank

All right bear with me it is really long but we were there to help....

My brother-in-law and I went out for a morning ride yesterday not expecting to deal with a fatality. It was not either of us; there were 4 other riders out there. we rode to the south pole and when we got there we saw a quad just sitting on this hill so we rode over and there were 3 guys in kinda like this ditch 2 doing cpr on the one. I went over and saw that he was breathing and told them to stop cpr, I checked his pulse and it was strong so I told them to not do it unless his pulse was gone. I went and called 911 and got them to come out. when I went back his pulse was gone, I pumped his chest and his buddy breathed for him. after 5 minutes I knew he was not coming back and I did not have the heart to break their hope so I kept going for 5 more minutes and then told his other friend to take over for me and went to get an eta on medics. when I first called they had sent a friend to the entrance to wait but he was kinda hidden behind this finger dune and the medics could not see him. so I rode out to meet them and tell them they were going to need a helicopter and just then one flew over head, they were not asked to fly out yet but did when they heard it was Dumont. They followed the friend of the victim to the site and then landed. my brother-in-law and I transported them and equipment to the site on our quads. when flight for life landed it was the same. CHP pronounced he was dead as soon as they got there. we ended up staying out there till about 1 o clock waiting for the corner to release the scene and the body. we helped those guys get out a quad that would not start, and then they said that their family was there now and they could get out the broken quad with them.

there was another group of people that got there when I was first calling 911 and they carried over medics from the road in his funco and brought us water. when they brought us water I asked if he could pull out the quad with his car because it would be a lot easier than with quads, they said sure, we are going to go and eat some lunch and we will be back. when I rode out to the camp ground again, they were gone. I don’t know if they needed to leave, or if they did not want to help, or if they did not want all the cops to find something but we could have really used their help. o well huh. so we helped out as much as possible but it was not enough.

No one saw what happened but I think what happened was he did not ride the ridge before going over and was going way too fast but he flew off the one side and crashed into the other side of the hill. It was as hard as stone. I could see tire tread scraping down the hill and when I stood on the hill I tried to dig my boots into the sand and I couldn’t. they said his helmet was off when they got there which means it was not done properly or strapped at all. when we were doing cpr the breath that his friend put in him would gurgle when I started compressions again. I am not medically trained but I think he had internal bleeding and it was in his lungs. Even if the helicopter was there the second he crashed, I do not think he would have made the flight to the hospital. It was nice when we got there, felt like 80 and there was good riding everwhere but it turned out to be the crapyest day of riding ever but I am glad we were there to help them because they really needed it.

wow :( That's very sad to hear, minor. That is very comendable that you helped as much as you did. Many people don't even want to be involved sometimes. Maybe that was the case with the guys in the sandrail. Who knows? Most have a hard time dealing with seeing such instances out there (deaths), but they have to think about the friends of the victim and how much harder it must have been for them to witness and go through. I am sure those guys were very appreciative of your efforts.

I know what you mean about being the crappiest day ever after that even dispite the good weather. I have seen a few tragic accidents out at the dunes and to me there is a big cloud of bad that just hangs over the dunes.

Thanks for sharing the story.

Wow Minor that is really great of you.That must have been hard for you as well as his friends and family.It is so horrible to hear stories like that.My thoughts go out to his family and friends.And I hope you have a better day as I know that image must be stuck in your mind.

It is also a good reminder for those of us who frequent the dunes in the summer to be extra cautious in what we are doing and that the dunes are never the same... The dune you rode last weekend could be completely diffrent this weekend so PLEASE ride very carefully when your out in the middle of the summer.

That's so sad, but thanks for sharing the account of the situation with us and all the detail, it is important to think of safety when riding and I know I've already done some dumb things, I'm still learning though, but even the most seasoned riders need to keep learning since the dunes are ever-changing. I'm glad you could help even though it ruined your day, it's nice to know other helpful people are out there riding with us.