One EPIC Christmas Eve day trip! Christmas 2011

dunefreak

Holy crap. Day trips don't get much better than this one! Merry Christmas to us! :headbang1:

Here's my daytrip report with a combination of pics from my cel phone, handheld Olympus Tough, and my Canon 50D.

So vegas style and I rolled into D at around 8:30am. I was like a kid on....well....Christmas. :laughing::xmas_grin:

gallery_3_45_19.jpg

Chadwick and Eric were already there and had been out on their first run already. Chad recently moved to Minnesota for work so he was way overdue and ready for some sand. Last month's high was like 1 degree too so not only the sand felt good, but the 60 degree weather felt amazing.

Can you tell he was pretty damn happy to be back?

gallery_3_45_53204.jpg

vegas style got his RZR unloaded in no time flat thanks to his super-wazoo tilt bed trailer (sorry for the blurry pic)

gallery_3_45_16628.jpg

We geared up for our first trip out. I wasn't sure how cold of weather to gear up for, but Eric told me it wasn't that cold. It was probably in the high 40's/ low 50's. I trusted him and glad I did. It was perfect riding weather for a long sleeved thermal and a t-shirt.

We headed out and started at the south end. The dunes were like summertime! It was so damn smooth and the dunes were razored out...except it wasn't HOT! It was perfect. It really felt like Christmas.

Here's a couple pics from the phone on our first stop, about half way to the north pole.

gallery_3_45_35519.jpg

gallery_3_45_21730.jpg

As we were getting ready to leave, Eric commented that "I'm not a mathematician or nuthin, but is there a reason your left side paddle is mounted backwards?" LOL Ends up, the shop mounted Steve's paddle backwards on the tire/wheel he brought in for repair. :laughing:

gallery_3_45_8083.jpg

Then we realized we didn't stop in the best spot.

gallery_3_45_34396.jpg

I took a couple scenic shots from that peak.

gallery_3_45_46498.jpg

gallery_3_45_27581.jpg

gallery_3_45_32492.jpg

gallery_3_45_17101.jpg

After that, we headed north for a bit, backtracked to the south and then stopped by sand~snake and SDA's camp to say hi. Then we stopped off at MarbleMD and NE14SAND's camp. Good seeing some fellow DDR friends while we were there!

Then we all did a run with MarbleMD, NE14SAND, and GP's's's's. haha Along the way, almost to the N Pole, we practially flew off a drop off. I came in pretty hot when I came up to it, locked up the brakes, looked back to try and signal, then flew off of it before I could do anything else. hahaa Luckily I landed it ok because the bottom was just as bad, if not worse, as the drop off transition. As Chadwick and I got out to north pole, we realized pretty quickly we were the only ones there. So back we went to the drop off area. We saw everyone hanging out there. At first I was pretty concerned because that was a pretty dangerous spot that we came up on, but when we got there everyone was ok! Phew! Ends up Mike (MarbleMD) went off that drop pretty fast and ate sh*t. Oh snap. lol Thank god he was ok though. He shook it off like nothing and rode back to camp.

couple pics of the drop off...

gallery_3_45_8797.jpg

gallery_3_45_10392.jpg

We continued on back towards the south.

gallery_3_45_27236.jpg

gallery_3_45_6401.jpg

gallery_3_45_14376.jpg

Then we stopped off for a photoshoot :pics:

Vegastyle having some fun...

gallery_3_45_14170.jpg

gallery_3_45_1763.jpg

gallery_3_45_37240.jpg

gallery_3_45_36906.jpg

gallery_3_45_33212.jpg

gallery_3_45_57905.jpg

gallery_3_45_34753.jpg

gallery_3_45_20208.jpg

gallery_3_45_4604.jpg

gallery_3_45_7652.jpg

gallery_3_45_1381.jpg

Me and Eric...

gallery_3_45_77370.jpg

gallery_3_45_17582.jpg

gallery_3_45_34556.jpg

gallery_3_45_47526.jpg

gallery_3_45_26867.jpg

gallery_3_45_14139.jpg

gallery_3_45_16937.jpg

gallery_3_45_22163.jpg

gallery_3_45_33534.jpg

gallery_3_45_35856.jpg

gallery_3_45_65746.jpg

gallery_3_45_83322.jpg

gallery_3_45_52246.jpg

Eric

gallery_3_45_30557.jpg

gallery_3_45_65593.jpg

gallery_3_45_39329.jpg

gallery_3_45_22587.jpg

gallery_3_45_53898.jpg

gallery_3_45_33250.jpg

gallery_3_45_43236.jpg

Chadwick

gallery_3_45_6416.jpg

gallery_3_45_37126.jpg

gallery_3_45_37981.jpg

gallery_3_45_33764.jpg

SAND~SNAKE

gallery_3_45_21973.jpg

Eric on Chad's piano...

gallery_3_45_7.jpg

gallery_3_45_36233.jpg

gallery_3_45_43508.jpg

gallery_3_45_31785.jpg

....more to come....

it was a awesome day for sure! perfect company, perfect sand, perfect weather. we put a lot of miles on pete showed me his gps and it was well covered. we even tore up little dumont. other then the paddle screw up the rzr ran perfect ..... up until a finger away from the truck after the last run. shredded a belt and had a dent in a rear rim and a flat. little help from the crew got it loaded up. this morning looking at it all dusty and leaning to one side made me smile about what a awesome day it had been. i have a lot of gopro video to edit ill try to have something next week. thanks for the pics pete there great

Then after the photoshoot, we were packing it up getting ready to leave when vegas style realized he was in an unfortunate situation.

gallery_3_45_19670.jpg

rut roh!

gallery_3_45_15480.jpg

Then after a bunch more duning we headed back to camp for lunch. While chilling we saw a private helicopter come buzzing through camp and VERY low. It was badass! He was way low and was taking some chances the way he was flying. He put on a cool a$$ show!

gallery_3_45_22227.jpg

gallery_3_45_14322.jpg

gallery_3_45_5202.jpg

gallery_3_45_35171.jpg

gallery_3_45_23955.jpg

gallery_3_45_29358.jpg

After that we decided on taking a ride out to the Little Dunes for a change of pace. The Little Dunes have a bunch to offer and many overlook that area of the dunes. It only takes about 4 minutes to get out there too. It was well worth it. We even explored an area we had never been to, the mines near the Little Dunes.

gallery_3_45_38924.jpg

gallery_3_45_56801.jpg

gallery_3_45_3234.jpg

I'm actually cruising 5th gear in this pic. Doesn't look like it at all though.

gallery_3_45_28825.jpg

Visiting the trail to the mines...

gallery_3_45_38638.jpg

Heading back...

gallery_3_45_32702.jpg

Following Eric...

gallery_3_45_13976.jpg

gallery_3_45_39801.jpg

gallery_3_45_28240.jpg

gallery_3_45_11709.jpg

gallery_3_45_21684.jpg

gallery_3_45_26338.jpg

gallery_3_45_31378.jpg

making our way back to the big dunes...

gallery_3_45_23437.jpg

gallery_3_45_18282.jpg

So then after we went duning one more time through the big dunes we were on our way back. I was riding next to Steve (vegas style) in his RZR as we approached the finger dune that we were parked near. I thought he let off to let me go ahead. We arrived at camp and cracked a couple cold ones open. Except this time Steve didn't show up. WTF? :thinking: Earlier we got back to camp and Steve didn't show up. I went back out looking for him (mid beer mind you) and found he was literally right next door and just stopped to chat with MarbleMD and NE14SAND. :dope: So this time I was like, nah fugg that, I'm not going out looking again for no reason. Come to find out he really broke down this time and walked back to camp! :lol: OOPS! Sorry Steve. LOL It wasn't that far tough.

He started the truck up and we "rode" the flatbed trailer over to go load the RZR up. hahaa good times!

gallery_3_45_47466.jpg

Eric and I were clowning on Chad because of his HORRIBLE balance!!! :lol:

gallery_3_45_39564.jpg

yyyyeah..... LMFO

gallery_3_45_56169.jpg

"So...how the hell is that thing gonna load itself up?" :think:

gallery_3_45_37878.jpg

So we decided we had to do it the old fashion way. Ahh sh*t. haha

Steve's RZR ended up breaking a belt. Not only that but he bent a rim and got a flat too. So after we got that loaded up, we took a few minutes to enjoy our last few minutes of that epic day, and headed home!

gallery_3_45_61337.jpg

gallery_3_45_6783.jpg

We ended up logging just about 60 miles of duning for the day!

How's that for some dune coverage? Here are tracks for the day...

TOTAL DISTANCE: 59.85 mi

MAX SPEED: 59.15 mph

MOVING TIME: 2:05 hrs

AVERAGE MOVING SPEED: 28.55mph

MIN ELEVATION: 371 ft

MAX ELEVATION: 1000 ft

MAXIMUM AWESOMENESS LEVEL ACHIEVED: HOLY f*ckin sh*t

post-3-0-21216700-1324882500_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-45063500-1324882325_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-13992900-1324882326_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-78207000-1324882324_thumb.jpg

When Eric and I rolled in about 7ish Eric made a comment on how cold it was. When I checked the thermostat in his truck it said it was 35 degrees. I hate to say this but for once in my life I actually was warmer than someone else for a change! Minnesota is having a drastic effect on me. The ride where we lost mike was a bitchen ride. I needed to blow off some steam and that did it for me. It felt like we got so many runs in and we didn't leave any dunes uncovered. It was just what I needed to complete the perfect vacation.

Despite Steve only having one paddle installed properly his side by side does very well out there. When we lost him (mid beer) Pete made a comment "I hope he isn't broke down out there cause if he is I'm not going to go look for him." About 10 minutes later we see Steve walking over the finger dune and we started laughing. :idiot:

It was a great day at the dunes!

Sweet! wish i could have made it out!

pete that app is pretty sweet what is it?

"My Tracks" It's a Google app on Android. I love that app. I use it a bunch on my dual sport rides. You just gotta stay plugged in to a charger because it sucks alot of juice.

This is one hell of a run. Wish I could have went. Dunes look smoother than a babies bottom. Chad Good to see you let some stress out. Great pics as usual Pete. Hope to get mine out next week. I am sure the dunes for four days will not compare to you one day event. Yiah.

Everyone was glad that you were alright. Not gonna lie I was concerned when we ended up at the north pole without everyone. I started to assume the worse until we caught back up with you. Glad your ok. Sucks that you couldn't finish the ride with us.

Everyone was glad that you were alright. Not gonna lie I was concerned when we ended up at the north pole without everyone. I started to assume the worse until we caught back up with you. Glad your ok. Sucks that you couldn't finish the ride with us.

Just a few bruises. Thanks. I went back to camp, pulled a few rocks out of the bead and put some air in it and went for another ride.

Glad to see you made good use of your time back. couldn't ask for better conditions.

Our 1st Christmas at Dumont . . .

We pulled into Dumont on Thursday at 2100 hours. We unloaded very quickly due to the freezing cold weather and mild wind storm.

Friday morning came and the weather was beautiful. The mild wind provided smooth dunes with the sun providing the perfect warm temperature for riding. We unloaded a few things, had breakfast and then headed out for our first quad ride. Jim led a great “girl” quad ride. The dunes where smooth, felt like heaven on my sand paddles. (At times it was like floating on air) We made our way to the North Pole for a few minutes; just enough time to get the tingle out of my finger tips. Then we headed back out into the dunes making our way to camp.

I made the Boyz lunch and decorated my Christmas tree. Which I am surprise the tree made it… Before leaving for Dumont, I went to a tree lot to purchase a ‘little’ tree. Well, when I got there the gentleman assisting me said, “any size tree, they are all the same price.” … Wrong thing to say to me … I said, “Whatever tree you can fit on that Ford Explorer, I will take it.” After the guys loaded a 9-10ft tree, I headed home where Bill had to help me unload it and put in the bed of my truck. “It was not fun!” The tree traveled from Vegas to Dumont long ways along the back window of my truck, hanging off the truck about two feet on each side. “Yes, this caused an argument with my husband and me.” (It was my first time away from home for Christmas, so the tree gave me some sense of Cheer!) And I definitely enjoyed it. I left it behind – so who knows what happened next … I am sure someone lit it up!

Later that afternoon Mike’s friend Aaron and his wife arrived safely. So, the guys headed out for another ride while they unloaded. I took this time to clean and putt around the RZR. Hours later Mike’s girlfriend Jodi arrived safely. We enjoyed a few drinks and laughs by the camp fire.

It’s Christmas Eve - / Wakey, Wakey eggs and bayceee / - Just when I looked out the door to see if we were going on a ride. Jodi was all geared up and ready…and before I could say, give me 5min, she was gone! I guess, she was itching to ride –lol- So, I loaded the RZR with drinks for Bill and me. Mike and Aaron in their toys and we headed out for a ride to the North Pole. I took passenger seat in Bill’s RZR – and you can bet, I was screaming at my husband! LMAO “oh’ Snap” / “I’m going to kick your azz” / “go, go, go” / “Screeeeeaaaaaaammmmmmm” / “REALLY, did you have to do that!!!” But it was FUN… (I secretly love giving my husband sh!t)

Later that afternoon Jodi and I headed out for a ride. Jodi led a safe and fun ride for the both of us. We arrived at the North Pole, were we sat an chatted about how men are such azzholes – LOL- “sorry, guys – I know you do it about us, except we’re Biiioootttcchhheeessss” On our way back to camp we crossed paths with the guys in our camp, they appeared to be having a great time J Jodi and I made it back in time to prepare lunch for the guys.

Somewhere in between all this, a few guys arrived at our camp to go for a ride… Mike hopped on his quad, Aaron in his toy, Bill in his RZR and me in the other RZR…We left camp and the leader of this ride took off like corvette on steroids – * f- this ride, I am taking the flats around to North Pole! I made it there just in time … From the angle I was sitting on a dune it appeared Steve’s RZR reach a bottom of a razor back (possible accident)… I went over there to make sure he was okay, well… he was fine, but Mike on the other hand – he had a little accident.

It’s Christmas Day and the sun is shining! Wakey, Wakey, Jodi’s Blitzes are ready! Warm strawberry jam on top of a blintz – “party in my mouth”

Now it’s time for a car ride with Mike… We headed out towards CompHill where a fellow duner needed assistance. While the guys assisted another duner, I enjoyed playing on CompHill in Bill’s RZR –… I hit the accelerator pedal and reached the top of comp and screamed Weeeeeeeeeeeee, Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all the way down. When I reached the bottom, I looked at everyone and said, “One more time”. One more time turned into about six more times J Much Fun! Okay, broken toy is now fixed, time to get back in Mike’s toy and head out for a ride … I didn’t scream at Mike like I do at my husband, but I sure was thinking it! Sharp turn to the right and there went my clean hair! He left sand in places that there shouldn’t be sand. *just sayin’ we spent time relaxing at the North Pole and then headed back to camp.

I know there is so much more I am forgetting… I guess when I watch the GoPro video’s I will be reminded of all the great rides. This was a great weekend! We are planning on leaving Friday to go back for the New Year’s!

***Wishing all of you a great New Year***

It was very nice to meet Aaron and Debbie.

For this being our first Christmas at Dumont, I am hoping this will now be our new family tradition

Thanks everyone for an amazing weekend. And for everyone that could not make it – I hope your Christmas weekend was fabulous.

Cheers to 2012!!!

We pulled into Dumont on Thursday at 2100 hours. We unloaded very quickly due to the freezing cold weather and mild wind storm.

Friday morning came and the weather was beautiful. The mild wind provided smooth dunes with the sun providing the perfect warm temperature for riding. We unloaded a few things, had breakfast and then headed out for our first quad ride. Jim led a great “girl” quad ride. The dunes where smooth, felt like heaven on my sand paddles. (At times it was like floating on air) We made our way to the North Pole for a few minutes; just enough time to get the tingle out of my finger tips. Then we headed back out into the dunes making our way to camp.

I made the Boyz lunch and decorated my Christmas tree. Which I am surprise the tree made it… Before leaving for Dumont, I went to a tree lot to purchase a ‘little’ tree. Well, when I got there the gentleman assisting me said, “any size tree, they are all the same price.” … Wrong thing to say to me … I said, “Whatever tree you can fit on that Ford Explorer, I will take it.” After the guys loaded a 9-10ft tree, I headed home where Bill had to help me unload it and put in the bed of my truck. “It was not fun!” The tree traveled from Vegas to Dumont long ways along the back window of my truck, hanging off the truck about two feet on each side. “Yes, this caused an argument with my husband and me.” (It was my first time away from home for Christmas, so the tree gave me some sense of Cheer!) And I definitely enjoyed it. I left it behind – so who knows what happened next … I am sure someone lit it up!

Later that afternoon Mike’s friend Aaron and his wife arrived safely. So, the guys headed out for another ride while they unloaded. I took this time to clean and putt around the RZR. Hours later Mike’s girlfriend Jodi arrived safely. We enjoyed a few drinks and laughs by the camp fire.

It’s Christmas Eve - / Wakey, Wakey eggs and bayceee / - Just when I looked out the door to see if we were going on a ride. Jodi was all geared up and ready…and before I could say, give me 5min, she was gone! I guess, she was itching to ride –lol- So, I loaded the RZR with drinks for Bill and me. Mike and Aaron in their toys and we headed out for a ride to the North Pole. I took passenger seat in Bill’s RZR – and you can bet, I was screaming at my husband! LMAO “oh’ Snap” / “I’m going to kick your azz” / “go, go, go” / “Screeeeeaaaaaaammmmmmm” / “REALLY, did you have to do that!!!” But it was FUN… (I secretly love giving my husband sh!t)

Later that afternoon Jodi and I headed out for a ride. Jodi led a safe and fun ride for the both of us. We arrived at the North Pole, were we sat an chatted about how men are such azzholes – LOL- “sorry, guys – I know you do it about us, except we’re Biiioootttcchhheeessss” On our way back to camp we crossed paths with the guys in our camp, they appeared to be having a great time J Jodi and I made it back in time to prepare lunch for the guys.

Somewhere in between all this, a few guys arrived at our camp to go for a ride… Mike hopped on his quad, Aaron in his toy, Bill in his RZR and me in the other RZR…We left camp and the leader of this ride took off like corvette on steroids – * f- this ride, I am taking the flats around to North Pole! I made it there just in time … From the angle I was sitting on a dune it appeared Steve’s RZR reach a bottom of a razor back (possible accident)… I went over there to make sure he was okay, well… he was fine, but Mike on the other hand – he had a little accident.

It’s Christmas Day and the sun is shining! Wakey, Wakey, Jodi’s Blitzes are ready! Warm strawberry jam on top of a blintz – “party in my mouth”

Now it’s time for a car ride with Mike… We headed out towards CompHill where a fellow duner needed assistance. While the guys assisted another duner, I enjoyed playing on CompHill in Bill’s RZR –… I hit the accelerator pedal and reached the top of comp and screamed Weeeeeeeeeeeee, Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all the way down. When I reached the bottom, I looked at everyone and said, “One more time”. One more time turned into about six more times J Much Fun! Okay, broken toy is now fixed, time to get back in Mike’s toy and head out for a ride … I didn’t scream at Mike like I do at my husband, but I sure was thinking it! Sharp turn to the right and there went my clean hair! He left sand in places that there shouldn’t be sand. *just sayin’ we spent time relaxing at the North Pole and then headed back to camp.

I know there is so much more I am forgetting… I guess when I watch the GoPro video’s I will be reminded of all the great rides. This was a great weekend! We are planning on leaving Friday to go back for the New Year’s!

For this being our first Christmas at Dumont, I am hoping this will now be our new family tradition

Thanks everyone for an amazing weekend. And for everyone that could not make it – I hope your Christmas weekend was fabulous.

Cheers to 2012!!!

Great report!

BTW, I was the "Corvette on Steroids" on the black Raptor leading that ride. :laughing:

Sounds like you guys had a great time with Mike, Jodi, Aaron and his wife, Gps's's's. Hahaa that's her screen name. ;) Not sure if she ever gets on here anymore though.

Damn what an awesome report. Sounds like good times with Mike and Jodi. WEEEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Up and Down with the RZR you go. Dunes will not be so smooth on your return visit this weekend. Good to see you enjoyed them though last weekend. Any weekend at the Dunes Rocks!

Glad you guys had a blast.. Wish we could have made it....

Capt

Cheers to 2012!!!

Damn what an awesome report. Sounds like good times with Mike and Jodi. WEEEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Up and Down with the RZR you go. Dunes will not be so smooth on your return visit this weekend. Good to see you enjoyed them though last weekend. Any weekend at the Dunes Rocks!

We always have a great time with Mike & Jodi ... Mike is very patient and leads great "girl" rides ... The dunes will not be the same for New Years - for sure! I will use this weekend for drinks and friends :)