Diesel Smog Info

Hey guys, i've looked around on the web and can't find exactly what i'm looking for, I guess I could call a shop but it's an excuse to start a new thread and maybe find out where the best place is to go. Here's my Q..

I own a 2012 Cummins that isn't exactly stock and will not pass smog in its current set up. I have to smog for the first time since I purchased it next month and am looking for exactly what they do to smog these things. I know they put em on rollers and do a visual under the hood..but do they hook up to your OBDII port? I'm just trying to figure out how far back to stock I need to go...if not all the way.

Also, good and bad experiences at shops around the vegas area? Thanks in advance guys.

I have been wondering this also.

The Regen crap on this truck sucks. it does it about every 80 miles when i'm just driving to work and back, so that's once a week.

I'd like to delete the DEF, and EGR, but with just 3k on the truck i'd like to break it in a little more first. I'll give them the exhaust doesn't smell like a diesel, but the Regen cycle and extra fuel for this sh*tty system really ruins these new trucks.

I go to Henderson muffler, never had them look under the hood. They put it on the dyno and put a tester in the exhaust pipe, run it and give me my completed smog (actually they send it to DMV for you) I get a discount coupon for $40,00 each year and their closest to me so I have always taken it there. Although mine is totally stock and have no issues I would recommend them if your willing to drive tyo Hendo.

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Not plugging into the OBD is great news, I should pass the opacity test I don't run tunes that smoke at all. Sounds like a legit spot Terry thanks ill give em a shot.

Pete, do they just visually look under the hood or do they look underneath to see if the CAT, NOX and DPF filters are on?

Adam I don't blame you I felt the sale way. PMing you..

For any Diesel work in the LV area, Underground Diesel is THE place to take your truck.

http://www.undergrounddiesels.com/

Look around the net for reviews and you will see what I mean. They are good and reasonable prices too. They are near LV Blvd and Warm Springs down the street from the new Shelby place.

They are duners too.

His screen name nere on DDR is

nwtdiesel Edited by Svengoolie

Thanks for the info. Not plugging into the OBD is great news, I should pass the opacity test I don't run tunes that smoke at all. Sounds like a legit spot Terry thanks ill give em a shot.

Pete, do they just visually look under the hood or do they look underneath to see if the CAT, NOX and DPF filters are on?

Adam I don't blame you I felt the sale way. PMing you..

I just had my Dmax smogged and they didn't even pop the hood. They have in the past, but not this time. They usually take a glance underneath to do the visual check for cat and DPF if applicable. I go to Jiffy Smog in Hot Rod Hill/ Henderson.

I would also highly recommend Underground Diesel if you need any work done.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been going to the same shop as Pete on HotRod Hill for 5 plus years very fast no hassels at all. They've never looked under the hood at all and ive got tunes that was done by Underground Diesel and pass with flying colors. I didn't know underground did smogs...but their work on my truck has been excellent. Either way you should be good.

SP2

Mike

You don't have to run a tune the blows smoke, to not pass the test. Put your programmer back to stock run it around for a few days, then go test.

putting my programmer back to stock is easy, it's spending half a day under my truck in 100 degree heat putting my stock exhaust back on that is a PAIN.

Register in Pahrump and you dont have to smog

Capt

Got an address I can use? :)

Update for anyone interested. My truck passed smog today "with flying colors" said the guy. :headbang1: I won't be posting on a public forum what state my truck was in or where I took it but if you're in the same boat as I was in and would like some info PM me.