President's Weekend Tragedy

Mr. Sandman

i would like to say hi for the first time,and send my thoughts out to all involved. if im not overstepping my limits as a new member, i have a little something that i like to do when we go to the dunes. it dosent matter if the people im with are new to the dunes or have been going for years, i try to have a conversation about safety and rules as they pertain to specific areas of the dunes right when we arrive. sometimes people just dont know because they have never been told or they become jaded and forget, but i feel a good conversation to put the thought of whats going on out there cant hurt. i know that after a long drive all everyone wants to do is unload all the stuff and split out into the dunes. i bet alot of you think about it the same way and this is nothing new that im saying, but im just throwin it out there. i love the dunes, i love dumont. good can come out of all things. peace to those families.

• Like 1

Ive got a 7 yr old that has been riding around camp for many years, this past weekend he followed me on the rhino and we made MANY stops along the way for me to teach him right and wrong. He thinks he knows how to do it all as most kids do. Im not saying im a pro or anything and Im sure there is alot I can learn from someone, but teaching ediquette and saftey is my #1

• 2 weeks later...

I was racing the guy when this happened. It could have been prevented. He had turned his lights off half way up the hill. I was riding my crf 450. I had probably 3 bike lengths on him when I looked back to see no more lights. I felt so bad he had been hit.

I was racing the guy when this happened. It could have been prevented. He had turned his lights off half way up the hill. I was riding my crf 450. I had probably 3 bike lengths on him when I looked back to see no more lights. I felt so bad he had been hit.

I thought he came from the camp side of comp and over when he hit the side of the rail? Or did the story get all turned around like usual?

I thought he came from the camp side of comp and over when he hit the side of the rail? Or did the story get all turned around like usual?

Ive heard 4 versions of this horrible accident, weird how these stories get all muddled. you almost think there were more than one accident...

BLM"s official report is that he came up the backside and dropped over into the path of the rail. The rail driver had no chance to see him much less avoid him.