Dumont Dunes Cleanup, Saturday March 14, 2015

dunefreak

Dumont Cleanup - Saturday March 14th at 8am.

Friends of Dumont Dunes will not be there this year to do a raffle, nor will the BLM be supplying lunch, but I don't think that is why we all go out for cleanup. The BLM is supplying trash bags and a dumpster. Hopefully we get a good turnout. The camp area firepits and some areas of the dunes that seem to collect trash from the swirling winds could use a little help.

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/index.php/news/_/articles/featured/dumont-dunes-cleanup

54102ef23743a16ad321be10da3cefbb.jpg

• Like 2

that would be great mike.

it is sad to see this being a non event with BLM basically being shamed into doing it. it used to be more then clean up it used to be a dumont event. but like almost every other dumont event they have made it too hard and expensive to put on and they have almost all gone away.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we will be out Thursday night.

Hopefully there is a decent turn out for the clean up, even without raffle prizes and free lunch! Clean up should be about cleaning up the dunes, so they don't get closed. After president's weekend I went around and picked up some items, but it could really use a good cleaning!

I don't think so only because in past years you would show your wristband or cleanup ticket on the way out and they aren't doing any wristbands or anything like that this year. You could always call the BLM to confirm though. 760-252-6000 Barstow BLM Office

Hey fellow duners, just wanted to share some clean up pics. The last three trips to Dumont, I've been picking up trash in a valley (around A14 on the map) where it seems to like to settle after being blown away from camps. The first trip I filled up 2 BIG trash bags, the second trip I filled up one BIG bag, the last trip (last week) I collected two BIG bags + 1 med bag. I kept a list of the stuff out there if anyone is interested. Here are some pics, hope that helps inspire others who can help make Dumont a cleaner/better place!! What I did notice was the insane amounts of trash IN the dunes...since I'm on a moto it's not really feasible for me to pick up trash in the dunes, but someone on a quad/sxs/buggy could just cruise around and have their pass pick up what they see. It's like a scavanger hunt! Here's some pics.....see you in the sand!! (next trip after Easter weekend)
Cheers,

Landsandcrab

20150312_082217.jpg

20150305_110215.jpg

Moto trash hauler

20150305_112023.jpg

the bag that some nice person picked up before I could

20150218_141800.jpg

free chairs?

20150219_065750.jpg

treasure?

20150305_112607.jpg

?

20150306_112943.jpg

the now clean valley

20150305_110215.jpg

did I mention the conditions were awesome

20150304_172825.jpg

• Like 4

We spent the morning giving back to the place we love to play, by taking the time out of our busy scedule to participate in clean up day at Dumont Sand Dunes. The dunes needed it! It was sad to see so few out there participating. But those that were there did a great job. There was still some trash left, but with so few it would be difficult it get it all. We managed to fill one dumpster half way. All kinds of trash, water bottles, beer cans, ice bags, and those damn Chinese lantern aliens! They are pretty in the sky, but they have to land sometime! In one area there were 8 left over "alien" carcasses! But we did our job, by cleaning up what others left behind!

We hope to sponser the event next year, get more interest in cleaning up our dunes, with raffles, give away items and maybe a lunch. Like it used to be.

I think there might have been about 10 - 15 camps total. :(

post-2396-0-00796500-1426479272_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-57640000-1426479280_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-65668100-1426479291_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-33741100-1426479299_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-85703400-1426479308_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-60488500-1426479352_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-79623000-1426479356_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-82638100-1426479360_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-05663000-1426479365_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-10608000-1426479369_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-93616100-1426479372_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-95659700-1426479376_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-50681900-1426479344_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-97624700-1426479347_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics and report, Jodi! It's a shame about the turnout, but I'm sure next year will be much better. Big props to you guys for helping out. Half a dumpster is very good for so few volunteers. I was hoping to make it out at least for the day but it just wasn't possible this year.

• Like 1

Wish we could have contributed, like Pete said, major props to everyone who took the time to go out and help. My wife just has surgery this past Wed so it just wasn't an option this year. We'll make up for it next year!

• Like 1

Great job picking up! You girls and guys on the sxs or quads have it much easier than us 2 wheeled devils, I hope they were hitting up the bowls were the most bottles/cans just get left behind. I understand how the wind can blow things around at DD, but when you see it in the big dunes, esp glass, you just know some idiot who doesn't even deserve to use this amazing place chucked it w/out a 2nd thought. I agree with the laterns, they were everywhere. Ugh, I hate those white ice bags too! They just shred apart when they are left out there. Can't wait to head back out either first week or 2nd of April to have fun and see the clean dunes!

Went out this past weekend. You guys did a great job cleaning up. So my group of fellow duners thank you. We were unable to attend the event, however did what we could on our own trip. Maybe next year it could be a two day event?

• Like 1

If everyone on this site packs out what they bring AND spend just 15 minutes a trip picking up what's close it would add up. maybe peer pressure on those that litter would help like a litter bug page with pics of the litter bugs and/or vehicles, peer pressure is a powerful deterrent, I saw a Discovery segment where there was stuff left out for the taking but a big video monitor showing the people close and nobody would take anything. It's pretty sad when people can bring beer and sodas out but can't take the empty, light weight and smashed, small volume containers out. And it's better to leave aluminum cans in a pile that in the fire, they don't burn, they melt and then those that would pick them up for the recycling value don't as the recyclers won't accept them. Fireworks are ooooh and aaaah until you see what's left in and on the dunes. Is expecting people to just take out what they bring in expecting too much? Lee

• Like 1

If everyone on this site packs out what they bring AND spend just 15 minutes a trip picking up what's close it would add up. maybe peer pressure on those that litter would help like a litter bug page with pics of the litter bugs and/or vehicles, peer pressure is a powerful deterrent, I saw a Discovery segment where there was stuff left out for the taking but a big video monitor showing the people close and nobody would take anything. It's pretty sad when people can bring beer and sodas out but can't take the empty, light weight and smashed, small volume containers out. And it's better to leave aluminum cans in a pile that in the fire, they don't burn, they melt and then those that would pick them up for the recycling value don't as the recyclers won't accept them. Fireworks are ooooh and aaaah until you see what's left in and on the dunes. Is expecting people to just take out what they bring in expecting too much? Lee

Always appreciate your outlook, Lee. lol

We've been posting pics of trash for years, mostly @@SAND~~SNAKE, but a few others have too. It is somewhat effective but those that leave trash behind aren't involved with the dunes like most of us on DDR. They don't give a crap. They figure someone else will pick up after them. It happens everywhere.

• Like 1

Fireworks are ooooh and aaaah until you see what's left in and on the dunes. Is expecting people to just take out what they bring in expecting too much? Lee

Those Chinese "Alien" lanterns really get to me.. they seem to be released several at a time... they don't always burn up, and even if the paper part burns up the metal piece still has to go some place.. and where does it go? Down to the ground to lay in the dunes or outlaying areas to be trash in the desert... After picking up several of these during clean up and even posting a photo of what happens when they land, it just frustrates me. I wish people would think about that before they light those things off.

We were the lucky winners of the landing zone for multiple lanterns over Pres, Day weekend. Literally watched them float up from what seemed like miles away, float....float....float....and come crashing down right in the middle of our camp. Our prize for being so lucky was disposing of them.

• Like 2