Horsepower

Londeez

Smart a$$ answer: 400hp, any mods done take it out of the stock category ;)

Real answer: Decide how much $$ you want to toss at the motor, get estimates on what that will get you. Then double the $$ you budgeted and start the build. It all comes down to how much you want to spend, the old saying still holds true: "Speed costs money, how much money do you want to burn."

how much hp do you want 50 ? 100 ? 200? cant make a real suggestion without knowing how much more you want. pete has given you the steps to a proper foundation. cnc heads the right cam . next of course is stroking the motor. what tranny are you running that curtails the hp you may want. so more info needed.

a good place to check is cbm motorsports in ontario. ask for bruce.

Edited by barefoot bob

• 2 weeks later...

my question is.....is it already factored to sand HP? Sand HP is at least 25% higher then actual. In your case since stock ls1's are rated at 300....and ussually make 280 to 320 in stock form I d guess yours already has a sand hp factor on it. You could just ad another 100 hp when people ask....and spend no money at all.

I prefer a turbo....or sometimes two....but I find the s475.....pretty good for the $$ and very durable. I ran a stock short block ls1...to 630 rwhp thru a th400. You can try to go higher but its pretty risky. Most of the stock....block stuff...with stock heads..makes 500 to 550 on 91 with decent attention to details.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

sand HP....Glamis HP...you know when someone asks you "how many horsepower does it have"...the easy answer is 500hp but that number is moving on up now everyone says 650hp

that s true a couple years ago.....now every guy with a turbo ls makes atleast 1000. I have one guy tell me 1000.....on pump gas with no intercooler....and it was running a stock pcm with no driver box....so the largest injector it could have had was only 83's...which it probably had 42's...lol

I ve rebuilt a fair share of 510 hp xxxline and xxxxkey engines.....and escept for eithera 224 or 228 cam, they are pretty close to all oem. Funny thing is when I dyno a 5.7 ls with a 224 or 228 cam....370 would be pretty high...

Did a scogin dickey 545 hp crate motor in a trophy truck.......it made a whopping 300 rwhp.....and weighting 6000 + lbs....it was right on par with my stock awd full size savana van....with a 285 hp 5.3...

Theres also a guy that makes 1570 rwhp.....with 8 72 lb injectors.....maybe sand hp isnt that far fetched.

The funny thing is that no one is questioning this stock ls1 that makes 400hp? Thats sand hp.....cause no stock ls1 ever made 400.

When you talk sand hp to me it is just like when your on the street and you ask someone what kinda hp they make and the tell you 500 and you ask them how they got it and they tell you they put a cam in and it was worth 60hp, intake 25hp, ignition 15hp air cleaner and so on but realisticly the motor makes only 350hp it just seems faster because it reacts faster and feels more seat of the pants faster. That is like when people tell me on the sand car they took it to a dyno and got 400hp to the rear wheels with an ls1 with tuning (this is just and example) well dyno's can be fudged and are alot of the times no one wants to here the motor they just purchased for $15,000 and is said to make 650hp is really only making 500hp. My motor on the dyno made 375hp and 380tq at the rear wheels from a 6.0 with a trick flow cam, injectors and springs and according to what people have told me with the amount of lose through the 2D trans it can be anywhere from 15 to 28 percent so my motor can make at the flywheel from 425 to 500hp who knows for sure. The person who dynoed my car told me this, I told him I really did not care what hp it made as long as it ran the way I think it should and pull the way it should. I have had people tell me they are making 450hp to the rear wheels and I go by them with no problem at comp. All in all no one wants to know they have less hp than the next guy but it is like being at the dragstrip you can say you have the hp but when you get beat by a car that has less the truth always comes out not saying that it is alway the person that owns the car but alot of the times it is the shop that unpurposely or puposely dyno's the car and tells them so that the customer is happy. So I think sand hp is a good term just like sandbagging in drag racing. Just my opinion.

Edited by DDBRATT
  • Like 1