Proposed fee change at Dumont

Ynot (Terry) has been brought to my attention that there is a proposal to restructure and simplify the passes/ fees for Dumont.

Here is the CURRENT fee schedule for those that forgot...

$30 for a weekly pass on a non-holiday

$40 for a weekly pass on a holiday

$90 for an annual pass with no holidays

$120 for an annual pass with holidays

From what I understand, this is the proposal...

$40 for a weekly pass which is purchased offsite -or- $50 if purchased on site / no cash, credit cards only

$120 for an annual pass

Under this proposed fee schedule, there will be no separate holiday and non-holiday passes anymore. The BLM is trying to simplify things and also get everyone to purchase passes off-site, hence the reason for the extra fee on-site.

I think that the weekly pass should only be $25 like Glamis. And as for the annual pass, most people can justify the $120. The majority of annual pass sales are the $120 pass anyways. I also added the need for a day pass, but I understand that would be something to implement separately from this later on.

I already sent the BLM my input on this but would like to hear what everyone thinks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow...first they run off the camp hosts, now they want to jack our fees up again, but disguise it with "simplification" ?

Im not for it, but if it turns out to be the only thing that can be done, maybe we should ask for a 5 year period of no fee raises?

With less and less people going to Dumont due to the recession, the fee should DECREASE, not increase.

I feel that the BLM is attempting to do this to shore up their budget that has been hacked recently

Im not for it, but if it turns out to be the only thing that can be done, maybe we should ask for a 5 year period of no fee raises?

With less and less people going to Dumont due to the recession, the fee should DECREASE, not increase.

I feel that the BLM is attempting to do this to shore up their budget that has been hacked recently

I brought up the last fee increase when this was presented to me. I mentioned that in the TRT/ BLM meetings, we were casually and informally told a couple times about the possibility of fees going down in the future if they got the funding back. (yeah right) Remember the reason for the increase? The BLM loss some funding and staffing costs for large attendance needed to be made up in user fees. Well, now the fees are essentially going up by eliminating the cheaper pass. I think that the BLM should meet us halfway and do like I suggested with the cheaper weekly pass for those who can't swing the $120 annual.

I also feel that with less attendance than ever, less staffing is needed compared to back when the fees were raised when everyone was refi-rich. So yes, if anything the fees should go down! You and I know THAT will never happen though. :worthless_without_pics:

Times are tough and getting even tougher for some. So what do we do?...get rid of those cheaper passes so the poor folk can't afford to go the dunes anymore! :clap:

Let's just hope the BLM can work with us and find a simple plan that works for both the duners and them.

Just another 10 bucks and we'll be good............ until the next time we can soak you for another 10 bucks.......... money grab. It's not complicated to me, they can keep their "simplification".

I'm all for participating financially to improve safety and facilities but it seems every time I turn around some mostly law abiding group is getting hasseled for riding their bike 10 feet into the trailer w/o a helmet. Give me a break. Meanwhile two people ride by double w/o helmets on some pep-boys special with no green sticker, flying a tri color flag on their way back to their tent after scouting out your stuff and don't even get a second look.

It's getting too expensive to follow the rules, the alternative is getting cheaper.

Edited by Runnin A Fever

Just another 10 bucks and we'll be good............ until the next time we can soak you for another 10 bucks.......... money grab. It's not complicated to me, they can keep their "simplification".

I'm all for participating financially to improve safety and facilities but it seems every time I turn around some mostly law abiding group is getting hasseled for riding their bike 10 feet into the trailer w/o a helmet. Give me a break. Meanwhile two people ride by double w/o helmets on some pep-boys special with no green sticker, flying a tri color flag on their way back to their tent after scouting out your stuff and don't even get a second look.

It's getting too expensive to follow the rules, the alternative is getting cheaper.

wtf they are doing like alot of other business are trying to do higher prices to support there old spending habits . it dos not work and only drives business down and fast . they need to cut the fat and stop making there hole budget on dumonts back . it was easy to make a budget when $$ was good but now you need to have some smarts to do so . the people need to fill like there getting a deal or there just not going to do it or just cant do it. :clap:

This is such a crock of sh*t!!! They figure because there is less people they need to jack the prices...NO YOU DONT GET THE fk OUT AND STAY OUT!!!!

50 f*cking dollars for a day pass!!!! BLM AND TRT ARE OUT OF YOUR DAMN MINDS!!!!

Edited by sanddunesaddict

and what the hell does the BLM or the TRT care they dont pay to get in.

They get free passes. I understand its for what they do but lately they havent done anything except make the ranger "compound" all nice.

FOR WHAT!!!

There isnt nearly as many people coming anymore.

Ok, in a nut shell the BLM is trying to simplify the pass set up.They have found that having the special stickers on holidays is a nightmare for the vendors and enforcement along with accounting. A majority of users buy the $120.00 annual pass anyway so that should not be an issue. The weekly price going to $40.00 is something that we looked at several times before this request. The costs for maintaining the facilities at Dumont do not decrease that much if any with less visitors. The road still has to be maintained and the toilets cleaned and pumped. Along with the same amount of EMT and LEO presence both on holidays and off weekends. It takes us over a year to get any rate changes through the RAMP so asking for a lower pass price is tough as should things pick up it could be another year before we could get the fee raised again. This would put BLM behind the 8 ball and when the money ran out so would ALL the services. They are no longer allowed to run in the red. So yes we are asking for a $10.00 increase per week. The easy way

to get around that is to buy an annual pass, go 3 times and your now ahead of the game.

The day pass is an enforcement nightmare as the passes would be date stamped and I don't think the machines are set up to do do that. On top of the amount of people who would try to cheat the system by buying a day pass and hope they don't get caught when they leave after staying a week. That costs all the rest of us who do pay our fair share in the long run.

Yes I understand times are tuff on all of us but the Government is fairing no better. The price of fuel and equipment continue to rise as does all of our stuff so we are trying to do what we can to keep the clamps on it as tight as possible.

As to the reference of the campground hosts being gotten rid of, you need to know that they were warned about ethics violations 3 times before their employment as BLM employees(not volunteers) were let go.If they hadn't committed acts they were warned about they would still be welcome there. Now hopefully with some insight you can see that we as a sub-group are doing the best we can with what we have to work with.

Terry

Damn Bert, tell us how you really feel! I can't say that I disagree with you though.

I only went to Dumont five times last year and none of the trips were on holidays. To me Dumont doesn't offer what I'm really looking for in a weekend of duning but I have lots of friends that go there because they don't live in between Glamis and Dumoont like I do so I go to hang and chill with them. For $80 I didn't mind so much but if I'm forced to pay $100+ then I'll just add those five trips to my 10-12 trips to Glamis each season and call it good.

I say they just post a Dr. at vendor row, let us donate a left nutt and get a lifetime pass in return.

$40 FOR ONE DAY!!!! 50 FOR THE POOR PEOPLE WHO STILL DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS SITE OR THAT YOU CAN BUY PASSES AT CERTAIN PLACES BEFORE YOU GET THERE.

THINK ABOUT THIS

i wonder how dumont survived for so long befor the blm started raping all of us???? and telling the duners it for you pleasure. the blm need some one that can run dumont and not run it in to the ground

I guess I missed something? It has never been discussed that we would do a one day pass for $40.00. The passes since the beginning have been $30.00 for a week and $40.00 for the holidays. Nothing else has been discussed period. Bert, I am not quite sure what your bitching about, you go to the dunes more than most people I know and I know your buying an annual pass so nothing changes for you. This is a request for information not a request about all of your bitchen and groaning about paying fees to go to Dumont. i have been going there for dam near 40 years and it's much better now than it was back then. You have a road that you don't need a 4x4 to get into, you have a place to go to the bathroom if your not self contained and most of all if you get hurt there are people there who can help you. All this costs money period.

As to whether sub group members pay for the pass, no we do not however maybe I should have my gas cost paid by the fee demo money instead of a a 120.00 pass. i travel 300 miles at least 5-8 times per year so you figure the math. Some of the sub group members come from Sacramento, would you rather pay for his fuel? If you want to be involved in making changes than get off your friggin fat azz's and get involved. Don't just sit behind the computer and b*tch at those of us who fight to keep you a place to play.I am getting tired of hearing all the petty bull sh*t as I see you buy new razor's and build new cars and buy new trailers and trucks to use out there and then you b*tch about $10.00 I mean c'mon look at the big picture for once. If you loose the area how much will all your toys be worth then?

i dont have a problem with a small raise of the fee for the weekly pass i used to buy them but i go more than three time a year now so makes more sence for me to but the annual pass and the place is much better now i would like to see the rest rooms pumped more regularly i rarely have to use them but the few time i did this season i was like o.m.g. that crap is stacked high but hey it happens

I guess I missed something? It has never been discussed that we would do a one day pass for $40.00. The passes since the beginning have been $30.00 for a week and $40.00 for the holidays. Nothing else has been discussed period. Bert, I am not quite sure what your bitching about, you go to the dunes more than most people I know and I know your buying an annual pass so nothing changes for you. This is a request for information not a request about all of your bitchen and groaning about paying fees to go to Dumont. i have been going there for dam near 40 years and it's much better now than it was back then. You have a road that you don't need a 4x4 to get into, you have a place to go to the bathroom if your not self contained and most of all if you get hurt there are people there who can help you. All this costs money period.

As to whether sub group members pay for the pass, no we do not however maybe I should have my gas cost paid by the fee demo money instead of a a 120.00 pass. i travel 300 miles at least 5-8 times per year so you figure the math. Some of the sub group members come from Sacramento, would you rather pay for his fuel? If you want to be involved in making changes than get off your friggin fat azz's and get involved. Don't just sit behind the computer and b*tch at those of us who fight to keep you a place to play.I am getting tired of hearing all the petty bull sh*t as I see you buy new razor's and build new cars and buy new trailers and trucks to use out there and then you b*tch about $10.00 I mean c'mon look at the big picture for once. If you loose the area how much will all your toys be worth then?

I have no problem with you Terry or any of the other members getting a free pass.

I appreciate all you do and the TRT does. The BLM needs to manage their funds better and listen more to the duners.They waste way too much money.Remember they were missing over a 100k last year.PLus they padded someone elses pocket with the bullshit asphalt that should have been free as it was cheaper for the construction company to dump it there instead of paying to get it all the way down to So Cal!!!???Who got that money supposedly??

If I get my fat a$$ up then the Barstow office is going to look like a wrecking ball went through it.

I dont have the tranquility and patience to let this sh*t happen.I have talked to you about this before.Unless you have lots of money nothing happens.I just get to pissed off and if I get this vocal in a meeting I'll probably end up in jail.

You and I have been going since the beginning and yes I appreciate the road and the bathrooms when I dont have my hauler with me and I appreciate the rangers WHEN THEY ARE THERE AND THEY ACTUALLY DO THE RIGHT THINGS INSTEAD OF HARRASS PEOPLE although I think they are getting a little better.

I sure as hell hope the "I am getting tired of hearing all the petty bull sh*t as I see you buy new razor's and build new cars and buy new trailers and trucks to use out there and then you b*tch about $10.00" is directed at me....dont start that sh*t.

Yes I buy a season pass and have bought 2 in the past and yes it doesnt change for me.That doesnt matter.What does matter is this wont stop.It never does.

What about in my case as with lots of other people when I buy my season pass and I cannot get all my family to the dunes in one car or when my mom would like to come out for a couple hours just to make my day and see her out there as she hardly goes since my dad passed but knows this is the lifestyle her and my dad raised me in.

The second vehicle doesnt have any toys just people and I have to pay another $40 just for that car so I can be with my family on a holiday weekend??? Why is that? I would pay an extra 10-20 for a season pass that had a tear off piece on the bottom that only let people in,vehicles without toys.

During the summer when we make our day trips and I have some new people come with me in another car why do they have to pay 40 dollars for 4 hours of play time and they may or may not use the restroom that is out of paper due to it being summer time and the rangers do not come out in the summer.

The whole lizard issue.The BLM is a government agency with no say what they do with THEIR land.

The study has been done and we know the lizard isnt in danger in the dune season but they still cant keep the f*cking CBD off the subject.THE BLM ARE BOTTOM FEEDERS WHEN IT COMES TO GOVERNMENT AS I SEE IT.

They get no help only lots of anguish!!!!!

ITS PUBLIC LAND PEOPLE!!!!!

THIS SUCKS a$$!!!!!

Terry you and I need to sit down and talk about this some more.I dont want to you to think me bitching is a personal attack on you :clap: :worthless_without_pics:

Edited by sanddunesaddict

I have no problem with you Terry or any of the other members getting a free pass.

I appreciate all you do and the TRT does. The BLM needs to manage their funds better and listen more to the duners.They waste way too much money.Remember they were missing over a 100k last year.PLus they padded someone elses pocket with the bullshit asphalt that should have been free as it was cheaper for the construction company to dump it there instead of paying to get it all the way down to So Cal!!!???Who got that money supposedly??

If I get my fat a$$ up then the Barstow office is going to look like a wrecking ball went through it.

I dont have the tranquility and patience to let this sh*t happen.I have talked to you about this before.Unless you have lots of money nothing happens.I just get to pissed off and if I get this vocal in a meeting I'll probably end up in jail.

You and I have been going since the beginning and yes I appreciate the road and the bathrooms when I dont have my hauler with me and I appreciate the rangers WHEN THEY ARE THERE AND THEY ACTUALLY DO THE RIGHT THINGS INSTEAD OF HARRASS PEOPLE although I think they are getting a little better.

I sure as hell hope the "I am getting tired of hearing all the petty bull sh*t as I see you buy new razor's and build new cars and buy new trailers and trucks to use out there and then you b*tch about $10.00" is directed at me....dont start that sh*t.

Yes I buy a season pass and have bought 2 in the past and yes it doesnt change for me.That doesnt matter.What does matter is this wont stop.It never does.

What about in my case as with lots of other people when I buy my season pass and I cannot get all my family to the dunes in one car or when my mom would like to come out for a couple hours just to make my day and see her out there as she hardly goes since my dad passed but knows this is the lifestyle her and my dad raised me in.

The second vehicle doesnt have any toys just people and I have to pay another $40 just for that car so I can be with my family on a holiday weekend??? Why is that? I would pay an extra 10-20 for a season pass that had a tear off piece on the bottom that only let people in,vehicles without toys.

During the summer when we make our day trips and I have some new people come with me in another car why do they have to pay 40 dollars for 4 hours of play time and they may or may not use the restroom that is out of paper due to it being summer time and the rangers do not come out in the summer.

The whole lizard issue.The BLM is a government agency with no say what they do with THEIR land.

The study has been done and we know the lizard isnt in danger in the dune season but they still cant keep the f*cking CBD off the subject.THE BLM ARE BOTTOM FEEDERS WHEN IT COMES TO GOVERNMENT AS I SEE IT.

They get no help only lots of anguish!!!!!

ITS PUBLIC LAND PEOPLE!!!!!

THIS SUCKS a$$!!!!!

Terry you and I need to sit down and talk about this some more.I dont want to you to think me bitching is a personal attack on you :clap: :worthless_without_pics:

I agree with all the above. blm runs the dunes like obama runs the country. I dont care about the logistics of how to issue day passes and weekend passes. there is no reason for a person to pay $50 for a saturday at the dunes. there are no parks in the country that charges that outrageous amount. should be like $10/day or $25 for fri,sat and sun. there is no reason for a car with extra people and no atvs etc to even pay, that is a joke.

fear not, the dune will soon be closed anyway and the blm bloats will be looking for jobs like the rest of us. :worthless_without_pics:

I've been going since 1972 and have never used a 4 wheel drive to get in and only recently have I noticed the road doesn't have the screw loosening washboard, is this from more maintenence or less users? And the bathrooms were built mostly before the fees started.... put a quarter fee box on them, use a service... pay for a service. And the medical help, ambulance, helicopter ride is free paid with pass $? And I also appreciate the representation at the meetings but I don't think the BLM will shut down the dunes if we're not represented, but the fee's would have no resistance to the upward spiral and that's where the representation is most effective. The BLM needs us, without duners there's no need for them. If the dunes are ever shut down it will be by an entity or group that are not aligned with either the BLM or off roading community. And technically are the fees really fees? If it's a use fee why is the driver/owner of the tow vehicle the only 1 paying? It's because it's a PARKING FEE, charged per vehicle. My crystal ball says the fee's will on go up, more resistance will slow the rise some, and it will be some bug, weed or insurance rep lizard that will be the excuse to close the dunes, unless the economy gets so bad the goverment slashes manpower to police the dunes and they close them to protect us from ourselves, the old big brother Orwellian story again. Did I just rant, or was I bitching? 1 more thing ... Yay Bert, lol.

I agree with all the above. blm runs the dunes like obama runs the country. I dont care about the logistics of how to issue day passes and weekend passes. there is no reason for a person to pay $50 for a saturday at the dunes. there are no parks in the country that charges that outrageous amount. should be like $10/day or $25 for fri,sat and sun. there is no reason for a car with extra people and no atvs etc to even pay, that is a joke. fear not, the dune will soon be closed anyway and the blm bloats will be looking for jobs like the rest of us. :clap:

tell them to park between creek and fee gate and go pick them up..... :worthless_without_pics:

Edited by RUn2it

Terry...when is the next TRT meeting that would be on a Saturday? I know I havent made the last 1 or two that they had, but it seems like we talked about saturday meetings happening 3-4 times a year, which im pretty sure hasnt been happening.

Im only out there 1-2 times a season, so I use the week pass

for three trips, that puts me up into a season pass territory....that aint right

is there going to be a meeting, or a weekend meeting before the BLM and TRT decide to RAPE us?

Edited by Richard Cheese

tell them to park between creek and fee gate and go pick them up..... :worthless_without_pics:

I have heard Not sure ? But they dont let you park after the creek over night. :clap: I think this topic of fee's changes Always gets HEATED .But the Fact is everything goes up in price.And we will Pay to Ride.The Fact is more members need to Voice there opinions.At the Right time and Place.To make sure OUR MONEY gets spent for the RIGHT REASONS