New Years Weekend BLM being very strict!

thatblondetess

I have my season pass, all my sh*t is registered, I don't do drugs, all my sh*t is legal... fk with me all you want and ill give you a big smile :) If your not LEO and you fk with me you might get a knot on your head lol

• Like 4

Interestingly, I've been going to Dumont for over 30 years now and have never had an issue with the BLM or the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Dept. In my opinion, this all goes back to the golden rule most of us learned when we were growing up, due unto others, follow the rules and treat everyone with respect, including law enforcement. This past weekend, my interaction with the BLM was at the permit station on Saturday night when I arrived, and on Sunday morning in my RZR when I was running wide open up the canyon road and encountered a ranger. I slowed down, waved to them as we passed each other and they waved back. Leaving the dunes yesterday morning I gave a friendly wave, pointed to my displayed permit and received a thank you and a wave back. I firmly believe that if one doesn't follow the rules, presents an azzhat attitude and still expects respect from those that are only doing their job will get the complete opposite.

• Like 2

If I am breaking the law and they contact me fine, I completely accept that. However the issue is when they storm into camp, start detaining people without cause, and start looking for violations. I've been going to Dumont since 86' and only had issues arise last year. There is also something called spirit of the law vs. letter of the law. BLM could start changing their negative image by using the spirit of the law now and then.

It seems that there has been a lot of complaints about the attitude of BLM both at Dumont and Glamis. It seems that most people feel like they have been harassed for pretty minor things that would have previously been ignored by the LEO even 2 years ago.

I can't really say much as I have not been out to the dunes in a few years to experience any of this harassment myself, but you can certainly read that the majority of people have been having issue's for very minor things.

There is a big discussion over on GD.com about a few incidents, one of which happened this past weekend with a well known fabricator and off-road racer (Dale Dondel, Racer Engineering) got arrested after the drags.

The only thing that I can say is you really need to have everything in order to at least prevent yourself from any type of harassment, that seems obvious. But the days of relaxed enforcement of minor infractions seems to be over for the time being. I am not saying that what the LEO's are doing is right, I always think there needs to be a certain amount of discrimination to be used, but that is a pretty big grey area. If there has been a lot of theft's, It seems to make sense for them to be checking as many registrations as possible. What doesn't make sense is for them to waste a large chunk of time and resources to try and find as many infractions as they can on every single person out there.

I have said it before, I would like to see more patrols and enforcement of the camp area. I have always had a problem with the camp racers coming too close or doing 40+ MPH heading out to the dunes. That seems like a good way to stop someone before causing a major accident (including driving/riding under the influence) and you can harass them all you want at that point.

the biggest thing is the Leo vs duner mentality. i used to feel at least a loose partnership we look out after one anther and the Leos were to help us stay safe. now i don't get a good feeling or a openness from them almost feel they tolerate us so the can make money on passes and tickets. remember we are the only "income area" for the barstow office.

after all- the money, time, and miles to get to a piece of sand in middle of now where must make me a suspect……. or a money source ?

• Like 1

Just to clarify Steve, Dumont is not the only Fee Demo area. The other being El Mirage dry lake. I happen to agree with you Steve on the way it used to be and the feeling that it has become today. The Management change at Barstow field office has shown no positives to duners in my opinion. I am tossing the thought of just saying the hell with it and just go back to being a duner and screw the political side. It does not seem to be getting through to the manager that we are good people who are often lumped in with a$$hats. We should not all be treated the same way.

If I go the clean up will die and the sub-group will have no represenitive from NV. but I am not enjoying it anymore and am mulling the decision that I have to make.

Just to clarify Steve, Dumont is not the only Fee Demo area. The other being El Mirage dry lake. I happen to agree with you Steve on the way it used to be and the feeling that it has become today. The Management change at Barstow field office has shown no positives to duners in my opinion. I am tossing the thought of just saying the hell with it and just go back to being a duner and screw the political side. It does not seem to be getting through to the manager that we are good people who are often lumped in with a$$hats. We should not all be treated the same way.

If I go the clean up will die and the sub-group will have no represenitive from NV. but I am not enjoying it anymore and am mulling the decision that I have to make.

I went to El Mirage last weekend and I did not see a Single BLM for 3 Days in or out. You can still ride Doubles, No Helmet and basically do as you please. Really not too cool. Maybe a few of the BLM should show up their to enfore a Few Important laws. Just Saying.

I went to El Mirage last weekend and I did not see a Single BLM for 3 Days in or out. You can still ride Doubles, No Helmet and basically do as you please. Really not too cool. Maybe a few of the BLM should show up their to enfore a Few Important laws. Just Saying.

We were approached by an LEO at El Mirage, it was to request to take pictures of the kids wearing proper gear to use in a handout. Only time I've seen a ranger out there other than where you pay on the way in. Side note: we don't go either place on a holiday weekend so I VERY rarely see LEO at either place which in itself suggests they are after a the higher profit margin of a larger crowd. :beerpint:

Terry, I hope to Gawd that you don't quit ! At least you have an opportunity to talk to her directly in the meetings and attempt to bring her back into reality and away from the "Book" that tells her every decision to make. In time, things just might change for the better.

In todays governmental agency structure there is room for improvement and a change at the "Top" is eminent. It may be time to start contacting our representatives that may interested in starting to protect our rights and investigate sub par management in their respective responsibilities.

Hang in there Bud we need your help!

Terry, I hope to Gawd that you don't quit ! At least you have an opportunity to talk to her directly in the meetings and attempt to bring her back into reality and away from the "Book" that tells her every decision to make. In time, things just might change for the better.

In todays governmental agency structure there is room for improvement and a change at the "Top" is eminent. It may be time to start contacting our representatives that may interested in starting to protect our rights and investigate sub par management in their respective responsibilities.

Hang in there Bud we need your help!

It's like talking to a wall Pat. We tell her the issues, She gives us assurances and then does exactly whast she wants and justifies it by being in the guidlines? I would like to see this know all see all book! I am quickly running out of patience and I don't think there will be a clean up this year. There lack of support is putting the doom on it.

I did see BLM speeding down vendor row every time they traveled down it, except when they were inspecting the vehicles parked. This KILLS vendor row even more. With the limited vendors, and less then ever willing to go out vendor row may die all together. They NEVER watered Vendor row this time.

I get checking vehicles on vendor row is easy, but it really makes people not want to go there.

I am willing to try for the Subgroup, but I just don't have the experience of many of the duners and especially Terry. As a business owner, and duner I would be happy to represent us.

• Like 1

I arrived Monday and left on Thursday and I will say at least Monday and Tuesday the Rangers to Duners numbers seemed extremely high. I drove into an empty Vendor Row Monday doing everything legal and had a Ranger make contact with me for registration. My decal is very visible and in my opinion he was just making contact. After I pointed out my decal out.. he and I went on our way. I really didn't have a problem with it until a vendor wanted to know what the Ranger wanted...come to find out GTP was not the only Vendor concerned about what the Rangers were doing. We then watched the only other traffic that entered Vendor Row being pulled over by the Ranger. Not a big deal to me but can understand being a vendor. My crew never did go back to Vendor Row this week.

So, vendors pay the BLM to vend correct? If the LEOs are harassing people on vendor row, it seems to me that harassment would keep people from going to vendor row and making it worth the vendors time and money to be there! Yet, the BLM needs as much money as possible to continue to operate at Dumont?

I understand having a LEO present on vendor row to keep things orderly (not that that seems to be an issue), but maybe the BLM might read this post and see the logic associated with it. Why would you be chasing away your income?

LEO presents, to me, is welcome and needed on vendor row. Vendor row is a high traffic area where people walk and ride. I have seen plenty of riders that could be talked to about their habits on vendor row. Not to mention there is a lot of money sitting on vendor row from Items for sale, to vehicles and the LEO presents should help deter some of the thieves.

This last weekend was pretty much a bust for us. The good part for us is we meet people everyday we are out there and that will help us in the future.

I have read all this several times, and lord knows we all spend a ton of money on this fun habit. it seems these city slickers don't have a clue to what this sport costs. im totally ok with the fees as long as there put to good use. the reason I don't go to glamis is because of these badge toteing yahoos. this is our public land and without us they don't have a job. I say we hit them up in force at this years sand sport show, (they have a booth down there) and see whats up their a$$. this all started with diane Feinstein, she chased away all the desert races because of a tortoise, ive been racing and riding 40 years and never seen a tortoise. ive been going to Dumont since 95 and I have seen the decline in numbers, I thought it was the economy, but now im secong guessing myself. I only give what I get that's my motto, you give me tude you will get it back. when I read that a lot of you don't want to do this anymore it breaks my heart. we have to stand up to them or they will completely strip us of our rights and dignity. god bless America.

It's like talking to a wall Pat. We tell her the issues, She gives us assurances and then does exactly whast she wants and justifies it by being in the guidlines? I would like to see this know all see all book! I am quickly running out of patience and I don't think there will be a clean up this year. There lack of support is putting the doom on it.

OK, time to communicate with the supervisory chain of command. Who is her direct boss? Who is that

persons direct boss and so on. If it's the only way to get the word out then lets do it!

OK, time to communicate with the supervisory chain of command. Who is her direct boss? Who is that

persons direct boss and so on. If it's the only way to get the word out then lets do it!

Teri Raml, District Manager

Tim Wakefield, Associate District Manager

California Desert District

Bureau of Land Management

22835 Calle San Juan De Los Lagos

Moreno Valley, CA 92553

For any good that it might do here is my submission to the Calif Desert BLM Supervisors.

Can someone please help me to understand all of the recent changes in how Dumont Dunes is being

operated.

I understand there is a new manager in the Barstow office. Is she being directed in a direction that

should lower the usage and increase all of the complaints I am hearing and seeing in the last two

seasons.

It would appear to me that the increase of revenue from users would be a benefit yet changes have been made that discourage that.

all I hear is the way the LEO's are being directed. The total lack of coverage on off weekends and a

heavy hand when they are there.

I just don't understand the direction it is going.

Can some please tell me what is going on and why?

Respectfully,

Pat XXXXXXX Henderson Nevada

• Like 1

For any good that it might do here is my submission to the Calif Desert BLM Supervisors.

Can someone please help me to understand all of the recent changes in how Dumont Dunes is being

operated.

I understand there is a new manager in the Barstow office. Is she being directed in a direction that

should lower the usage and increase all of the complaints I am hearing and seeing in the last two

seasons.

It would appear to me that the increase of revenue from users would be a benefit yet changes have been made that discourage that.

all I hear is the way the LEO's are being directed. The total lack of coverage on off weekends and a

heavy hand when they are there.

I just don't understand the direction it is going.

Can some please tell me what is going on and why?

Respectfully,

Pat XXXXXXX Henderson Nevada

Pat, let me know what if any reply you get. I am highly interested.

LEO presents, to me, is welcome and needed on vendor row. Vendor row is a high traffic area where people walk and ride. I have seen plenty of riders that could be talked to about their habits on vendor row. Not to mention there is a lot of money sitting on vendor row from Items for sale, to vehicles and the LEO presents should help deter some of the thieves.

This last weekend was pretty much a bust for us. The good part for us is we meet people everyday we are out there and that will help us in the future.

Adam & the rest of the crew @ GTP

1st Thanks for the great deal on the lights, brackets , and lighted whips was great talking to you guys

I agree that LEO should be on vendors row, they should have an officer just walking up and down to keep an eye on things and protect the vendors that do make it out.

With a few of the other post on this thread , i would agree , LEO was a bit over the top ( they detained my buddy at the gate for having rolling papers and nothing else, gave him a paraphernalia ticket!!??)

but at the same time i sure like having them there at when they are needed. I will gladly take the extra time when i am at the gate, or if they stop by our camp, and step out of the way when they are speeding down vendors row For them to be there to do what they do best protect and serve.

a ticket for papers is abuse of powers That will never stand up in court.1 either the blm is trying to make $$$ by unlawful tickets that they hope the defendant will just pay. Or 2 the officer is looking for some easy overtime in court.

total abuse of power

I'm probably in the minority but I feel we reap what we sow. Unfortunately the people who leave the bottles and trash everywhere, party then ride etc. are the ones bringing us increased scrutiny and it sucks they are lumped in with the law abiding person who just wants to enjoy some outdoor recreation. I won't discount over zealous LEO's but people steal firewood from camps along with peoples toys and the like. I don't have a problem with being checked for registration or anything. I feel things have gone on unchecked for to long and the BLM enforcement will bring about needed changes, weeding out the bad elements in the dunes. I do agree they need to clamp down on the camp racers though. If they concentrated their efforts on ticketing those fools they would be flush with cash. It must be too hard to prove so that's why they don't bother.

Edited by desertrider71
  • Like 1

a ticket for papers is abuse of powers That will never stand up in court.1 either the blm is trying to make $$$ by unlawful tickets that they hope the defendant will just pay. Or 2 the officer is looking for some easy overtime in court.

total abuse of power

I agree that's what I told him too, for us to make it out is 1266 miles one way. The last thing I want is to get hassled when I get there. They had the dog go through the truck asked if I had cocaine?!?! Cause I guess that's what he uses papers for. But in the 30 years I have been coming to dumont this was a first , but worth it to me in the long run as long as I can still ride lol