CR 500 Crash Thanksgiving 2011 -Fundraiser

paralized duner

Hello Friends of Dumont Dunes. It always sucks to see those helicopters flying around Dumont on the big weekends. It sucks even more to be on one. Fortunately most of those people walk out of University Medical Center without lasting issues and are set up to ride some day in the future.That's not my story. My family and I have been riding at Dumont dunes for 40 years. Ever since I was three years old. The day after Thanksgiving of 2011, I rode out of camp with my boy for a nice ride in the dunes. About 50 yards out of camp something happened and I went over the bars landing on my head. Broken C3 and C4 vertebrae caused immediate swelling in my spinal cord up to C2 and my heart and lungs stopped immediately. Thanks to the quick action by some young women passing by I got CPR that maintained oxygen in my blood. That went on for 50 minutes until they could stabilize me and put me on the helicopter to go to Vegas.The end result after 10 1/2 months in the hospital, is I am a C2 incomplete quadriplegic. Massive amounts of physical therapy have done wonders for me, more than any of my doctors had ever imagined. But the return in the improvements have now stopped about two and half years after my injury. Now I'm hoping to travel to Panama for stem cell therapy that is not available in United States yet.If you're interested in following my trip to Panama, my future recovery after that and possibly helping out in anyway you can to help fund my trip, please join me at www.mikesscijourney.com. You can add your name to my mailing list and my team of supporters will keep you updated on my recovery and events to help me along my way.Thanks and I'll see you out of Dumont again during the Thanksgiving weekend,Mike Bates

post-8953-0-29087200-1405392430_thumb.jp

post-8953-0-98138800-1405392446_thumb.jp

post-8953-0-47529000-1405392480_thumb.jp

post-8953-0-52109700-1405392529_thumb.jp

Joined! Hope I can help. I will be following your progress and wish you the best, Mike. Our buddy Chris (Grimace) broke his back at Dumont back in 09 and has been dealing with a spinal injury as well. It's crazy how quickly things can happen yet affect the rest of your life.

• 5 weeks later...

Added my email, let us know how you are doing. I hate hearing about these accidents. Everything happens for a reason I believe. Hope you get better!!

My good good buddy Mike that works the front desk in my shop had a bad accident and lost the use of his legs. Its amazing to watch him ride his quad at Dumont. We used to bungee cord his legs to the 4 wheeler but he finally broke down and bought foot nets thank goodness. Hes a crazy dude. Full throttle all the time. I would like to share your info with him and maybe he could one day do stem cell therapy too.

Edited by nwtdiesel
  • Like 1