#1 Mr. Sandman

Mr. Sandman

Dune Shredder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Name:Greg

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

This is becoming all to common at Dumont. Prayers to the family, friends and everyone else involved.

http://latimesblogs....+%28L.A.+Now%29
  • Carrie Miller likes this
His Ride - 85 ATC250310R
Her Ride - 09 RZR LE
Kid 1 - 08 Raptor 700
Kid 2 - 08 Raptor 700
Kid 3 - 03 Raptor 80

Tow Vehicle - 04 Ford F350 PSD
Vehicle Towed - 06 WW LE3505

#2 dunefreak

dunefreak

DDR resident

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,248 posts
  • Interests:duning, dual sport ADV, hiking, photography, nature, travel
  • Name:Pete

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

I hate hearing of these incidents. They are almost always avoidable with just a little extra caution taken. My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased. Rest in peace, fellow duner.

05 Tech 3 Motorsports
06 Sandpiper

05 Dmax

85 ATC70, Lifan 110 electric start
12 KTM 690 Enduro R

https://www.facebook.com/dumontduneriders
http://www.actionshutter.net/
https://www.facebook...tterPhotography

#3 White Rhino

White Rhino

DDR resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

dang it, sad news, hate to hear of these things and he was SO YOUNG.. RIP
Formerly Paul Rob

#4 SAND~~SNAKE

SAND~~SNAKE

Dune Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Interests:Peeping in windows
  • Name:Jim

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

These types of things are always sad to read or hear, My condolences to the family.

Edited by SAND~~SNAKE, 20 February 2012 - 06:29 PM.

• indasand and sand chick like this

#5 DuneFanatic24

DuneFanatic24

Duner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Duning, Fishing,

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

So Sad. prayers to family and friends

#6 aceisback

aceisback

Dune Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Name:Vic

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

RIP fellow duner. Hate hearing this stuff but it is also why I will never go back to Dumont on a holiday weekend. One year ago today my son and a very good friend of mine were involved in a serious crash at Comp. Those that saw it remember the carnage well. I went against my better judgement that weekend and it almost turned tragic for two seperate families. Things happened to where it was destroyed machines and bruised and battered bodies but fortunately nothing more serious.

Having said that, we just rolled back in from Glamis and it was very crowded and busy but you could also head south of Olds and have miles and miles of dunes damn near to yourself. Big crowds at China Wall but out in the dunes was as safe as you wanted to ride. Think I'll save Dumont for the non holiday weekends.
Rida safe ya'll.
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If you can read it in English, thank a Marine.

#7 dunefreak

dunefreak

DDR resident

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

RIP fellow duner. Hate hearing this stuff but it is also why I will never go back to Dumont on a holiday weekend. One year ago today my son and a very good friend of mine were involved in a serious crash at Comp. Those that saw it remember the carnage well. I went against my better judgement that weekend and it almost turned tragic for two seperate families. Things happened to where it was destroyed machines and bruised and battered bodies but fortunately nothing more serious.

Having said that, we just rolled back in from Glamis and it was very crowded and busy but you could also head south of Olds and have miles and miles of dunes damn near to yourself. Big crowds at China Wall but out in the dunes was as safe as you wanted to ride. Think I'll save Dumont for the non holiday weekends.
Rida safe ya'll.

I read on GD there were 2 fatalities down at Glamis over the weekend as well. :(

05 Tech 3 Motorsports
06 Sandpiper

05 Dmax

12 KTM 690 Enduro R

#8 dunefreak

dunefreak

DDR resident

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Here's a little more info that is posted on the coroner's page...

On 02/17/2012 at 10:45 PM, in the Dumont Dunes off road vehicle area in rural Baker. Nicholas Sean Blanchette, age 24, a resident of Riverside was riding an ATV on the "Competition Hill" and struck a sand rail broadside at about 40 MPH. The ATV rider was ejected from his vehicle. Paramedics that were stationed in the area responded to the location and transported the driver to their first-aid station and then pronounced him dead at 11:25 PM. The California Highway Patrol is investigating the collision. The driver's name will be released when next-of-kin has been notified.

05 Tech 3 Motorsports
06 Sandpiper

05 Dmax

12 KTM 690 Enduro R

#9 sand chick

sand chick

DDR resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,885 posts
  • Interests:My Raptor, Camping, Dunes, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Backpacking, NASCAR, Denver Broncos, Going out for Sushi, Taking Pictures lots and lots of Pictures!!
  • Name:Jodi

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

So sad to hear :.(
Thoughts go to the family and friends

Edited by sand chick, 20 February 2012 - 06:40 PM.

"I wanna be runnin when the sand runs out"#6 Rascal Flatts Feels Like Today

LOVE EACH DAY!

I just want to get in the sand and freaking RIDE RIDE RIDE!!

My other hobby, hiking to the EXTREME -----> http://52peakclub.com/
Visit GTP Off Road! -----> http://goodtimesproducts.com/

GTP-Adams-5-big-line-small_zpse4d09438.g

#10 raspadoo

raspadoo

Dune Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

Godspeed fellow duner, prayers to all involved....
dmscrane.com

#11 andydew

andydew

Dune Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:Sand, Boating, Snow boarding,wakeboarding,DIY projects around the house, and spending time with my little kiddos.
  • Name:Andy

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

I read on GD there were 2 fatalities down at Glamis over the weekend as well. :(

Yup,
one was right in front of our camp. Don't know too much for details, but an older vdub rail came flyin through, and tangled up with a quad. Nothing official as to who was at fault, but after the impact, the rail came to a rest in a bush a distance away, which implies he was going way too fast IN CAMP :rant: Life flight circled around, but was called off(already dead I assume). CHP showed up, so I'm thinking somebody was arrested.

Completely avoidable, if people just THINK, and slow down near camp.
"If it seems like you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough."

#12 wsky70

wsky70

Dune Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Woody

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

RIP fellow Duner...Our prayers are with the family...SF Woody
....Semper Fi....
Rest in Peace...Indy

Posted Image

#13 Adam @ GTP Off Road

Adam @ GTP Off Road

Dune Master

• Site Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Interests:Duning, riding, drinking Pepsi
  • Name:Adam

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

Wow this is crazy. RIP duner.

i avoid Comp like the plague if its busy. on off weekends or day trip weekdays i can usually run Comp with my group only.

2008 Raptor 700 - Not exactly stock  :whoop:

2014 F350 Superduty 4" Lift Blue Jeans Blue - 4TT

2005 Attitude 23AK Toy Hauler

www.gtpoffroad.com - DDR Site Sponsor - Parts/ Service - ATV - UTV
Bringing You Good Times at Great Prices...

#14 White Rhino

White Rhino

DDR resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

glad everybody turned this unfortunate post into a " I avoid the holiday weekends post"

oh wait I got an idea why don't you all open one up a post so you can b*tch about how you hate holiday weekends over there!
Formerly Paul Rob

#15 John Brumley

John Brumley

Duner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

RIP fellow duner. I heard the talk that night but didnt kno if it was a fact now i know. :( It was my 1st time to Dumont this weekend an ive read so much about accidents an things like this so i just played it safe. Only went up comp once at night an prob 20 times total. Banshee hill was more my style. Not as tall or agressive on the way down. Well i do have 2 pics of the tragedy :( :( R.I.P. plz ride safe!
IMG_1026.JPG IMG_1027.JPG

Also any1 know what happend on Sunday around 3pm?? I was at camp watching the drags and saw a ton of police head toward comp/banshee then the lifeflight helichopter showed up soon after.

Edited by John Brumley, 20 February 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#16 raspadoo

raspadoo

Dune Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

glad everybody turned this unfortunate post into a " I avoid the holiday weekends post" oh wait I got an idea why don't you all open one up a post so you can b*tch about how you hate holiday weekends over there!

It is a tragic situation regardless of when / where it happened. It is human nature to try to justify the risks we take in our chosen sports, hobbies, occupations and life in general. While doing so we search for information, analyze and almost always come up with a way we can minimize risk and justify our continued activity. Accidents can happen at anytime out there, or anywhere for that matter but people all deal with the risk differently. I have my own opinions in regards to holiday weekends, but they seem unimportant right now compared to the grief all those involved in this tragedy must be experiencing. Once again Godspeed young duner and prayers sent to all effected......
dmscrane.com

#17 indasand

indasand

Dune Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:Dunes in the winter, lake in the summer...
  • Name:Brian

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Sad, I hope everyone reading takes the time to be safe and set an example on future trips, for future friends & future duners....

R.I.P.
:beercheers:
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

#18 Lasvegas Atvtours

Lasvegas Atvtours

Duner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Name:Mike

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

One of the guys at my camp helped them remove the body from the hill. He said he was dead on impact. He said the rail had quite a bit of damage from the impact. Very sad story. R.I.P

#19 Kitcat

Kitcat

official shaver of cats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, spending time with family, friends & pets
  • Name:Heather

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Some bonehead in a rail almost hit our friend on a quad at Comp during the day. My cousins saw the rail/quad accident. Very sad to hear the guy died. They said he wasn't moving after the crash. RIP duner. :(
Posted Image

#20 Sincity_blondie

Sincity_blondie

DDR resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts
  • Interests:Live Music
    Road Trips
    Dunes and Lake/River
    Hanging with Great friends at the sand dunes
    Sporting events (hockey, football, UFC)
  • Name:Stacey

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

RIP! We saw flight for life a few times this weekend. I believe it was last night around 10 than something else happened and the bird came flying in. Anyone know? There were alot of cop lights flashing around the area of the opening to comp it looked it.

#21 SAND~~SNAKE

SAND~~SNAKE

Dune Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Interests:Peeping in windows
  • Name:Jim

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

glad everybody turned this unfortunate post into a " I avoid the holiday weekends post"

oh wait I got an idea why don't you all open one up a post so you can b*tch about how you hate holiday weekends over there!

Paul is right, I have retracted my post ands will repost in the rant section.....AGAIN These types of things are always sad to read or hear, My condolences to the family...R.I.P. Nicholas Sean Blanchette of Riverside California.

#22 ynot

ynot

DDR resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts
  • Interests:Duning, camping, etc, etc.
  • Name:Terry

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

From my conversation with BLM yesterday the rail was travelling the normal right to left along or nrar the top of Comp. The quad came up over the backside of comp and basically ran into the side of the rail right at the back wheel. He hit it so hard it forced the rail into a 180 turn. Comp hill is a dangerous place a night period, Coming up the back side and not k ow ing if there was anything on the other side was a tragic mistake and I feel for the family and wish the rider God's speed.
One of the other Flights for life was a stroke victim who was flown out. In talking to BLM they had 10 medical calls within 1 hour on Sunday. They were handeling it well but were amazed at the amount of incidents that had occured. I don't know if it is that fact that people are starting to come back out and may have been away for a while and lost some riding skills and some dune equittete.
President Friends of Dumont Dunes
Nevada OHV representitive to the BLM Dumont Dunes DAC Sub-Group

#23 tatooedwhtboy

tatooedwhtboy

Dune Shredder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with family and good friends in the dunes.
  • Name:Mark

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

we just got home after a LONG weekend at Dumont. My prayers are with the families of ALL who were invovled in any sort of accident this weekend. I have to say, Ive been going to Dumont for along time and been there for MANY holiday weekends......I saw the Medi-Vac more this weekend than I think I saw all season. RIP

#24 DIRTY SANCHO

DIRTY SANCHO

Dune Shredder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Duning, fishing, drinking,
  • Name:Saul

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

I was there at Comp when this accident happened lets be honest it is very sad to know he passed away my thoughts and prayers are with his family in this difficult time. We have lost a fellow duner may he RIP. Also it does not matter where you ride Dumont, Glamis, pismo etc. anything can happen we all know it can happen anywhere at any time we just need to be more careful and learn from others mistakes.
  • Jimmy Baker likes this

#25 Kitcat

Kitcat

official shaver of cats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, spending time with family, friends & pets
  • Name:Heather

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

President's Day last year one of our friends broke his neck in a freak accident in his RZR on a very small dune. Anything can happen and the smallest mistake can turn into disaster. Our group of duners handled the situation very well. Joe wore a halo and had surgery to fix his neck. He is able to walk and came back to Dumont this weekend with us. It was his first time riding the RZR in the dunes since the accident.

I feel bad for all the duners that got hurt this weekend and hope more were not killed.
Posted Image

#26 blown572

blown572

Duner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name:tim c

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

i would like to say hi for the first time,and send my thoughts out to all involved. if im not overstepping my limits as a new member, i have a little something that i like to do when we go to the dunes. it dosent matter if the people im with are new to the dunes or have been going for years, i try to have a conversation about safety and rules as they pertain to specific areas of the dunes right when we arrive. sometimes people just dont know because they have never been told or they become jaded and forget, but i feel a good conversation to put the thought of whats going on out there cant hurt. i know that after a long drive all everyone wants to do is unload all the stuff and split out into the dunes. i bet alot of you think about it the same way and this is nothing new that im saying, but im just throwin it out there. i love the dunes, i love dumont. good can come out of all things. peace to those families.
  • lvnalolife likes this

#27 lvnalolife

lvnalolife

DDR Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:Chillin with family and friends at the D!
  • Name:J.J.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

I agree with ^^^^^ We alwasy school the newbies when they come out with us.
Posted Image

#28 angw

angw

Duner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name:Angie

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

One of the accidents was a 15 year old who went head on with another quad. He has a broken back but is not paralyzed.

#29 tatooedwhtboy

tatooedwhtboy

Dune Shredder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with family and good friends in the dunes.
  • Name:Mark

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

Ive got a 7 yr old that has been riding around camp for many years, this past weekend he followed me on the rhino and we made MANY stops along the way for me to teach him right and wrong. He thinks he knows how to do it all as most kids do. Im not saying im a pro or anything and Im sure there is alot I can learn from someone, but teaching ediquette and saftey is my #1

#30 tyler fgp boys

tyler fgp boys

Dune Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:hanging at the dunes with my lady family and friends.
    off road racing. diesel trucks
  • Name:Tyler

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I was racing the guy when this happened. It could have been prevented. He had turned his lights off half way up the hill. I was riding my crf 450. I had probably 3 bike lengths on him when I looked back to see no more lights. I felt so bad he had been hit.
TOYS

03 crf 450

03 dodge cummins

#31 dunefreak

dunefreak

DDR resident

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

I was racing the guy when this happened. It could have been prevented. He had turned his lights off half way up the hill. I was riding my crf 450. I had probably 3 bike lengths on him when I looked back to see no more lights. I felt so bad he had been hit.

I thought he came from the camp side of comp and over when he hit the side of the rail? Or did the story get all turned around like usual?

05 Tech 3 Motorsports
06 Sandpiper

05 Dmax

12 KTM 690 Enduro R

#32 White Rhino

White Rhino

DDR resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

I thought he came from the camp side of comp and over when he hit the side of the rail? Or did the story get all turned around like usual?

Ive heard 4 versions of this horrible accident, weird how these stories get all muddled. you almost think there were more than one accident...
Formerly Paul Rob

#33 ynot

ynot

DDR resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts
  • Interests:Duning, camping, etc, etc.
  • Name:Terry

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

BLM"s official report is that he came up the backside and dropped over into the path of the rail. The rail driver had no chance to see him much less avoid him.
President Friends of Dumont Dunes
Nevada OHV representitive to the BLM Dumont Dunes DAC Sub-Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users