Can it be saved?

rushjunkie

So my first bike was an ATC70 back in like '86 (the bike is an 81 or 82 i think). Dad never sold it. Sat in the back of the shed for at least 15 years. I started restoring a while back, but Im moving very slowly with it. Anyway, Im trying to tackle the tank and Im not sure it can be saved. Any suggestions on getting the rust out? If the rust can come out, Im gonna need to get the dent out and find a decal kit...

What about the carb? I bought the rebuild kit in the pic before I opened up the carb, but now Im not sure that it can be saved either. I already cleared all the passages and started to clean up the bowl with a dremel but I dont want to waste time on it. What you guys think? Am I :whistle: ?

post-3304-1231226736_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1231226757_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1231226781_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1231226800_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1231226960_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1231226977_thumb.jpg

I am not sure that the stuff craig posted will remove all the rust but if not, take a 50/50 mix of water and sand and put it in your tank and shake the crap out of it. Then you can use that stuff to clean it and seal it.

ive got a line on some ATC Parts, going there this weekend, i can always look around, from what i understand this guy has a 40ft trailer full of ATC stuff... 70s 200sx, 350x 250r and wha not, i can always look for a tank there for ya... I was checking Ebay and there is a ton of stuff on there as well...stickers, tanks, frames...you name it.

btw all the CRF 50 /XR 50 stuff will fit...lookng into a Takagawa 88cc and a 110cc big bore kit for some friends too.

Ok, sounds like i can save it. Thanks for the links, very helpful. Stay posted, this is my first restoration so I will need all the help I can get.

What about the dent? Any ideas?

ive got a line on some ATC Parts, going there this weekend, i can always look around, from what i understand this guy has a 40ft trailer full of ATC stuff... 70s 200sx, 350x 250r and wha not, i can always look for a tank there for ya... I was checking Ebay and there is a ton of stuff on there as well...stickers, tanks, frames...you name it.

btw all the CRF 50 /XR 50 stuff will fit...lookng into a Takagawa 88cc and a 110cc big bore kit for some friends too.

Thanks. But I think the tank might be ok. Wouldnt mind an OG or OG-style all black seat cover if you bump into one. :whistle: I will PM you my cell so I can ship u out some dough if you find it.

Soak the tank in muriatic acid. Worked great on mine. I soaked it for about 1-2 days and it looks alomst new inside now. It was nasty too!

Did you dilute it? I have some of that stuff, I used it to clean up some brickwork, but even at like 15:1 it was strong.

Did you dilute it? I have some of that stuff, I used it to clean up some brickwork, but even at like 15:1 it was strong.

Nope, but I doubt it was very strong stuff. I bought it from Lowes and it was for pools so I doubt it was crazy potent in the first place.

post-3-1231273463_thumb.jpg

Mine was way more rusty than yours.

I filled it with Muratic acid and let it sit for a couple of hours.Drained it and refilled it again.

JUST DO NOT GET IT ON THE PAINT UNLESS YOU ARE REPAINTING IT!!!

Pure stuff not diluted.Then I just used very hot water to rinse it out and blew it out with an air nozzle.

I still never got the one nipple cleaned out but the reserve one is clear.

The tank is now clean enough to eat off of.

After I did mine Pete did his the same way.

I installed an inline filter in the one line and hoping that the other will clean out one of these days.

Edited by sanddunesaddict

After I did mine Pete did his the same way.

Not exactly the same way, but close. I let mine sit for about a day, drained and flushed it. Then filled it again and let it sit for about another 2 days because the first time didn't get the nasty buildup off the bottom ofthe tank. Then I flushed it with gas instead of water because the water seemed to leave a rust film after it dried the first time around.

to get the dent out you can use air pressure to get most of it out. but since your going to Kreem the tank any way, just fashion a "L" bar out of some stiff steel, and work the dent out from the inside as best you can and bondo the rest. I had a 350X tank that was repaired using air and it came out GREAT! ... see the before and afters below

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/yo...es/DSC04468.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/yo...es/DSC04473.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/yo...es/100_0122.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/yo...es/100_0135.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/yo...es/100_0133.jpg

FYI, this is also a good source for other parts and trick stuff that you might be interested in!

http://www.sterdyproducts.com/productcart/pc/viewCat.asp

Edited by Vegas250rr

This Muriatic Acid is some strong chit. This is the tank after just pouring some in. All I did to the cap was wipe it off with a paper towel that had some acid on it.

Thanks for all the help... I'll keep posting progress...

With air pressure for the dents, is that something I can do with a regular compressor, or is that something I should take and have done? I was thinking of creaming the inside, but I heard that radiator places have a treatment they can do pretty cheap. Any of you guys know about it?

post-3304-1231392519_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1231392533_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1231392557_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1231392586_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1231392617_thumb.jpg

This Muriatic Acid is some strong chit. This is the tank after just pouring some in. All I did to the cap was wipe it off with a paper towel that had some acid on it.

Thanks for all the help... I'll keep posting progress...

With air pressure for the dents, is that something I can do with a regular compressor, or is that something I should take and have done? I was thinking of creaming the inside, but I heard that radiator places have a treatment they can do pretty cheap. Any of you guys know about it?

you can do it with a compressor... just becareful... it doesnt take too much pressure, I would apply the cap and add air to the petcock opening... take a measurement across the bottom of the tank and record the width, if you have too much pressure you can increase the gap in the tank kinda like opening a clam shell up. and you will have to beat the spine of the tank in to close the gap again. ( I know this from experience)

Edited by Vegas250rr

• 4 weeks later...

just picked up from radiator shop with lining done to it. did a nice job, but in order to flush it, this fugger drilled a hole underneath and soldered it closed with a penny...

OMG that is fuggin funny, no matter what never paint over that, it is a conversation piece.