Onan generator backfiring & stalling

dunefreak

Thats not even an option. A/C won't run off an ext cord. Especially both units. (50 amp svc)

I'm not too worried about it. Temps don't seem too bad this weekend. Cold beers, a couple fans, and enough water for a few ice cold showers. :beercheers:

I have a Honda 4500 Watt/30 amp, if you want me to bring it. You could at least run one AC unit off of it.

http://www.hayesequipment.com/ex4500.htm

There is the specs. in case you need an adapter plug

just a shot in the dark, but did you attempt to load up the genny when you were running it off the gas can by the genny when you were testing the flow?

if you didnt, then maybe debris in the gas tank clogging up the fuel line, if you already didnt check that out the first time? :beercheers:

i fuggin hate it when a tens of thousands of dollars has a fuggin issue and doesnt work like its supposed to

I have a Honda 4500 Watt/30 amp, if you want me to bring it. You could at least run one AC unit off of it.

http://www.hayesequipment.com/ex4500.htm

There is the specs. in case you need an adapter plug

I'll call you, Rob. Thanks!

just a shot in the dark, but did you attempt to load up the genny when you were running it off the gas can by the genny when you were testing the flow?

if you didnt, then maybe debris in the gas tank clogging up the fuel line, if you already didnt check that out the first time? :beercheers:

i fuggin hate it when a tens of thousands of dollars has a fuggin issue and doesnt work like its supposed to

Well now I don't remember if I did or not, but regardless- it still popped the same way on startup. It's the same kind of backfire/ sputter on startup as when it gets loaded.

Once a guy I know (me) couldnt get his bike started up @ little sahara the morning of a nation a hare n hound because someone (<<<<<) left a rag in the air intake while servicing the filter. Just pointing out the obvious, good luck Pete!!

Once a guy I know (me) couldnt get his bike started up @ little sahara the morning of a nation a hare n hound because someone (<<<<<) left a rag in the air intake while servicing the filter. Just pointing out the obvious, good luck Pete!!

Nothing in the intake. He has had it all apart and even replaced the carb! I am thinking it almost acts like it is out of time the way it backfires back thru the carb.

If ya wanna borrow a gen for the night drags let me know.... I have a gas and a diesel...

:beercheers:

Damn Brian, you are a big baller!!! Can I borrow the diesel one for the 09/10 season????? :ban-split:

Don't know your gen model but a couple goofy things that I encountered on my prior moho gas generator was a steel braided fuel line hid the cracks that sucked air but didn't leak fuel and the intake manifold was 2 halves pinned together with a gasket, the pins loosened from vibration, some small screws with lock nuts fixed it, but not your problem. If you've tried all the fuel related work arounds maybe your ign coil is weak, popping at startup or when a high amp load is applied is when a marginal coil or module would break down. Do you see any diff between cool gen and heat soaked when load is applied? It would be nice if someone .. :headbang1: with the same gen would swap elect stuff to test. :headbang1:

Well my recent problem I had with my generator was NOT the carb. :driver: How do I know this? I just bought a new carb and put it on and nothing has changed. Same problem still exists. :laughoff:

So anyways, hopefully someone can help. Here's what it's doing. Earlier it fired up with a couple pops right after startup but it fired up. Then I turned both A/C units on and ran it for about 45 minutes. It ran great. Then it chugged for a split secoond a couple times, then about 10 seconds later it backfired then died.

Now it fires up no prob with the usual pop or two right after startup, but as soon as I turn on the AC unit (or any other heavy load) it bogs and backfires bigtime.

Here's is what I have checked...

-oil level is good

-fuel volume seems ok and fuel qaulity is good

-fuel filters are both new

-new carburetor

-200 bucks and 2 beers later I'm still pretty pissed off

eff yoooou 200 dollar carb for nothin :censored::idiot:

post-3-1249523379_thumb.jpg

Night drags trip ain't lookin so good! :beer_bang:

:rolleyes: Does'int the factory or dealer warranty cover this problem that's if you did get some when you got the motorhome

Edited by THE BIG E

When I picked up the trailer on Saturday, I was having a somewhat similar issue. I pulled the carb and sprayed it out, then I took the fuel line and used the primer to pump the old fuel out of the line. The Generator ran perfect after that. I originally just tried to clean the carb and put it back on, but the old fuel was still in the line.

When I picked up the trailer on Saturday, I was having a somewhat similar issue. I pulled the carb and sprayed it out, then I took the fuel line and used the primer to pump the old fuel out of the line. The Generator ran perfect after that. I originally just tried to clean the carb and put it back on, but the old fuel was still in the line.

I did that about 10 times throughout all the crap I have done so far. :clap: I'll be bringing it in to Johnny Walker soon. I am done messing with it on my own. :laughing:

:blink: Or did you get an extra warranty when you're factotry warranty had finished

I don't have any extended warranty on my trailer. Trust me, I'd use it if I did.

• 5 weeks later...

So Pete, did you get figured out and what was the final diagnosis?

Funny you should ask. I just dropped it off with Ken yesterday at Johnny Walker. They have been super nice & very helpful. It looks like it is a magneto issue. They pulled the whole gennie out to check it out. They are changing both magnetos, the drive belt, and doing an oil/filter change while it is out.

They also took care of my fridge recall while it was there. :lol:

I should be hooked up and back to 100% soon. Dune season is coming real quick! I can almost smell it! :beercheers: I can't wait. :duniemonkie:

• 8 years later...
On 9/10/2009 at 6:00 PM, dunefreak said:

Funny you should ask. I just dropped it off with Ken yesterday at Johnny Walker. They have been super nice & very helpful. It looks like it is a magneto issue. They pulled the whole gennie out to check it out. They are changing both magnetos, the drive belt, and doing an oil/filter change while it is out.

They also took care of my fridge recall while it was there. :lol:

I should be hooked up and back to 100% soon. Dune season is coming real quick! I can almost smell it! :beercheers: I can't wait. :duniemonkie:

Did this end up being the problem? I am having a similar problem.. difficult to start then it will run but I have to keep the air filter and cover off and my dies within minutes of turning on ac. while it was running was yours spitting out a little fuel? 

thanks 

9 hours ago, bearit said:

Did this end up being the problem? I am having a similar problem.. difficult to start then it will run but I have to keep the air filter and cover off and my dies within minutes of turning on ac. while it was running was yours spitting out a little fuel? 

thanks 

If I remember right (9 years ago), yes, it corrected the problem I was having. I don't remember if it was spitting out a little fuel, but I could see that being a possibility since it loses spark and backfires.