DAMN WEBER!

sandawg

The idle screws on one of the carbs (40 IDF's) on both screws goes all the way closed without even changing the RPM one iota!!!!

I blew out the idle circuit, checked the float level sprayed around the base of the carbs and the intake with carb cleaner, no unusual results!

I can't figure out why this is doing this all of the sudden. They both synked out the same at 7's on both sides

Any suggestions???

Timing set at 30 BTDC, new plugs, fresh hi test gas!

Thanks,

Pat :think:

Edited by SANDAWG

The idle screws on one of the carbs (40 IDF's) on both screws goes all the way closed without even changing the RPM one iota!!!!

I blew out the idle circuit, checked the float level sprayed around the base of the carbs and the intake with carb cleaner, no unusual results!

I can't figure out why this is doing this all of the sudden. They both synked out the same at 7's on both sides

Any suggestions???

Timing set at 30 BTDC, new plugs, fresh hi test gas!

Thanks,

Pat :think:

did you pull the idle jets also? If jet is clogged the air bypass screw won't have an effect. Been many years since I messed with webers.

I hope you set that timing at about 3000 rpm. Thats too much at idle.

This may sound silly but try backing off the idle adjustments on both sides and see if the idle mixture screws start working again. Its possible to have the idle speed adjuster set high enough to open up more transition circuts allowing the main circut to start metering fuel. I have seen this mostly on higher cammed engines. Good luck.

It only takes a grain of sand to mess up a carb. Pull out all the jets and blow them out.

Blew out the idle circuit both ways, took out the jets and checked tham and blew them out, set idle lower like 500 RPM to where it barly ran. Timing it set at a high RPM to full advance. The Cam is only a little Engle 110, not too radical at all. I'm going to check the body of the carb tomorrow to see if there is a crack letting vacum get messed up and I am going to put a new O ring on the screws to make sure they aren't leaking. Other than that I am lost and super Pi**ed with this VW. I'm about to build another 2.3 FI, and drop it in this little buggy!!!!! :think::laughing::beerpint:

BP, how did the Golf Tour. Go?????

If you place your hand over the carb portion thats not working, does the engine rpm change? Also, did you just adjust your valves, and if you did, perhaps mistakenly, one is too tight.

Blew out the idle circuit both ways, took out the jets and checked tham and blew them out, set idle lower like 500 RPM to where it barly ran. Timing it set at a high RPM to full advance. The Cam is only a little Engle 110, not too radical at all. I'm going to check the body of the carb tomorrow to see if there is a crack letting vacum get messed up and I am going to put a new O ring on the screws to make sure they aren't leaking. Other than that I am lost and super Pi**ed with this VW. I'm about to build another 2.3 FI, and drop it in this little buggy!!!!! :think::laughing::beerpint:

BP, how did the Golf Tour. Go?????

Golf tournament is Thursday. If you spray carb cleaner around the carb and the idle never changed then you don't have an air leak. Did you look at the seats of the jets and make sure they are still round and have not been bottomed out too hard and now have a small dent around the seat of the needle. How is the shaft that runs thru the carb that holds the butterflys on. I know that tends to wear out over time too.

What type of Syncro are you using? Is it the ball the floats in a glass tube or the nice one that rotates and has a red line that moves up and down?

How is it after it comes off idle? any popping up thru the carb or backfiring?

Edited by bp-guy

If you place your hand over the carb portion thats not working, does the engine rpm change? Also, did you just adjust your valves, and if you did, perhaps mistakenly, one is too tight.

Yes I did just run the valves. I will check that out first thing tomorrow-today as that is when it started I'm thinking! thanks!

Golf tournament is Thursday. If you spray carb cleaner around the carb and the idle never changed then you don't have an air leak. Did you look at the seats of the jets and make sure they are still round and have not been bottomed out too hard and now have a small dent around the seat of the needle. How is the shaft that runs thru the carb that holds the butterflys on. I know that tends to wear out over time too.

What type of Syncro are you using? Is it the ball the floats in a glass tube or the nice one that rotates and has a red line that moves up and down?

How is it after it comes off idle? any popping up thru the carb or backfiring? Nope!

One weird thing, I touched the intakes and the one that is giving me trouble was very cool and the other side was warm???????

checked out the valves, right on .006

will try and isolate which cylinderit might be! And do a compression check, better not be that, just had the motor rebuilt!!!

Thanks to all for the help!!!

Compression checked out good. Now am looking at fuel delivery. The carb that works is close to the fuel line the other is much further away and is looking enemic for fuel delivery. Checking out the pressure and volume tomorrow and change out the fuel filter!

We will see! Might just have found the problem. I closed off the carbs venturis and it didn't make a difference on the bad side.

Edited by SANDAWG