Well this is what I have been doing lately

CaptNkllm

!st off let me say how much I appreciate my Wife and friends.... James and Bob have gone above and beyond the friend.. duties.. There has been a lot of hours in the shop and many Gallons of sweat lol.

Lets start at the beginning....

Car Did not handle like I know it should have ( considering Bobs car is the same car and it rides great).. and I was having issues with the clutch ( lol ).. We took the engine out and replaced the clutch with a superior clutch (I hope ).. "Kenedy".... upon dis-assembly we noticed that the trailing arms had some play with them and decided it was a good time to pull out and replace the bushings. Removed the shocks for a rebuild and At the time only had plans to rebuild shocks and clutch. After removal of the trailing arms I was going to powder them up and clean up the chrome as it starting peeling away from the sand blasting it had taken. I sent the shocks out to the shock guy here in town and had him take them aart so that I could powder coat them orange to match the car... I was very un clear if the powder would work or not and that if there would be a problem with the re assymbly of the shock and the seals being able to seal and not leak. After Ed took the shocks apart I ran them over to State of the Art Powder coating and he seperated the parts and we decided on what was going orange and what was going silver. After dropping of the trailing arms at P/C I decided against the silver powder coat and Bob found a place in Cali that was resonable so I sent them to Bob and he delivered them and also picked them up about week later ( I am glad I went with chrome instead of powder on those parts). After powder coating called and and said everything was complete I sent them back over to Ed to have them Put together... after a little fudging he was able to get them together without any sealing issues :beercheers: ..

After all the parts where in and I bought all new bushings , sleeves, shock rebuild kits, grommets and what nots it was time to put it all together.. It took several hours to get the trailing arms on and adjust the shock mounts so that everything cleared properly and worked like we wanted it...

After the rear was done and the price was resonable for chrome I decided ( after listning to Bob and James for a week) to tear into the front and start that and replace all the bushings and rebuild the shocks again.. took the A-arms to the chrome guy and my bypass tubes to get them done (waiting on them now).. I have already bought new bushings and sleeves for the front and also Hiems. Last weekend (again after listning to Bob James and my wife) I decided to take all the paneling off (well Bob did that) and repowder them.. will be picking them up tomorrow. Hopefully all the parts will be back and ready to put on by next weekend and I can finally get a shakedown run and be ready for season to start...

I am sure there is some stuff I forgot ie. New radiator... but that is the jist of whats been going on for the last couple months...

Many thanks to My friends Bob and James for all the help and all the directions...

Capt

post-1097-1252031730_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252031793_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252031813_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252031842_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252031859_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252031877_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252031904_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252031921_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252031968_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252031987_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252032034_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252032072_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptNkllm

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it? Wasn't this a rebuilt to new standards car when you bought it? It turned out great, good job you guys!!!!

no there was alot of confusion on this point.the frame was brought up to new standards eyeball fab didnt own the car it was a customers car. the original owner. caused a bit of confusion in the situation. < its more complicated than that. however. eyeballfab did add a 25 gallon fuel cell at davids request. the frame was reinforced like the newer phantom cars. and they added a hood a new dash and extenders for side panels. at that time. then the used parts were put back on. builder didnt bother to inform david of the worn parts. most likely a busy shop schedual or whatever . the car didnt act right. david would call me and i was baffled. ive driven other eyeball cars and they act like mine.

so james and i said eff it and had david bring it down BTW: thats james shop not mine. but james and i build alot of stuff in there lol . any wase david brought it down. when it rolled out of the trailer a few of its problems became apperant. ride heighth was all messed up. front end up high and rear soft and squated.

after all the above work in the rear was done. ed the shock guy called to tell david the bypasses were way to stiff. like 20 compression and 15 rebound. i got a chance to talk to the original owners son. and it all came to light. the cars owner ( we call him the wheely king) had set the front end stiff and high and squatted the back to ride wheelys. no thought to dune ability. the owner of eyeball fab was his wheely competition. chris said he didnt know phill had done that.<(sneaky 1 upmanship) he noticed the car was a little squirly but wrote it off to the paddles. << extreme 36s which boosted the rear of the car up where the cranked front was not as noticable.

when david put the 33s on wala it was very obvious. we contacted king i spoke with brett and got the right valving. so ed could set it up. we also changed out the front springs to eleminate binding issues. james and i are very confident we have arrested all the issues. the car should perform as it was supposed to. we are trying schrader valves in the fron coil springs there supposed to work as a bumpstop and help with the load under extreme compression. we dont know how its going to perform on a lighter car but were hopefull.

the cosmetics were entirely decisions by david. he picked some really nice colors ( we did nag him alot :flipoff:)

but it came out sweet. i personally could not stand the old powder against the new powder. im glad he decided to repowder the old panels. once all the chroming and powder is done we have the front end to assemble and test. im confident that car will be great ( maybe a lil more fine tuning) the other smaller issues we fixed along the way.

that cars is gonna be bad a$$. its amazing how how you can find other peoples perssonal prefrences can ruin your own expectations weed them out and you get a totaly different car.

some of you know there was some contaversy when the car first got done. most of these issues were figured out. and eyeball fab has been very helpful while we weeded out the cars issues with free welding on the new mods. extra parts and what not. everything seems to be back in order. :sophie:

i cant wait to see the car after painter joe gets his hands it. and adds that yellow :beercheers:

Edited by barefoot bob

Set the suspension to do wheelies? :flipoff: When you drove it the rear wing caption made sense "Phil This". Should have said "Brain Phart". Bet it was odd handling pushing and swapping. Looks way better, not only looks new but will feel like a new car. :beercheers:

Set the suspension to do wheelies? :flipoff: When you drove it the rear wing caption made sense "Phil This". Should have said "Brain Phart". Bet it was odd handling pushing and swapping. Looks way better, not only looks new but will feel like a new car. :beercheers:

It was real squirly when I drove it out at Dumont and I was all over the place... so I played with the suspension.. changed tires and anything else I could think of at the time to make it drive and ride better.. Some things worked but it wasnt riding like knew it could so... after me complaining a whole lot, my wife said tear it apart and fix it... so the rebuild started... coming out nice and I am excited to get it out and adjust it.

Hope for the new car feel and smell when I get done lol

Capt

It was real squirly when I drove it out at Dumont and I was all over the place... so I played with the suspension.. changed tires and anything else I could think of at the time to make it drive and ride better.. Some things worked but it wasnt riding like knew it could so... after me complaining a whole lot, my wife said tear it apart and fix it... so the rebuild started... coming out nice and I am excited to get it out and adjust it.

Capt

So is that how you get the wife to spend money ! :ogp: Thanks for the tip :flipoff:

By the way the car is sick ! :beercheers:

Edited by Warrior07

Capt

o it will smell alright :beercheers: ill make sure :flipoff:

Can we see pics of James car build? Not to steel your thunder or anything. Yours looks Bad azz! How big is that shop? I see a 5th wheel, 3 sand rails and lots of extra room.

I would gues his shop is 40' X 60'... it has room for 3 full size rails as you can see from the pics.. James car is going to come out real nice ( maybe nicer than mine when its done)... If I was going to loose My thunder than I wouldnt mind loosing it to him lol

Here are some pics I stole last week at the shop where it is being built.. ( frame was outside and trailing arms where being fabbed in the garage)... we were leaving so I didnt take the crap off the top of it for pics

post-1097-1252123379_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252123394_thumb.jpg

Capt

Edit on a side note..... WE already installed Bob's seat on the passengers side... it was custom made for him so his belly dont ache anymore :clap:

Edited by CaptNkllm

im going to try to get my act together and start a build thread on james eyball. it wont be done till next season. but it should be a roller in about 3 weeks. were trying to get the other 2 cars out cause a jeep is next in line and james new car. and ssss . how do you like my suspension seat !!

shop is about 2000 sq ft

Edited by barefoot bob

Set the suspension to do wheelies? :ninja: When you drove it the rear wing caption made sense "Phil This". Should have said "Brain Phart". Bet it was odd handling pushing and swapping. Looks way better, not only looks new but will feel like a new car. :rockwoot:

i was thinking more like PHIL_DO

nice lookin car there Capt..im lookin forward to seein you guys again and lettin your son and my son do the battle royal thing :beercheers:

different stroked for different folks some like duning, some like jumping, some like hill shooting, and some like wheelys, some like drags, some like stripper poles ,yet others like to sit and do nothing ,some like to sit and b*tch about everything and some even do it all................................................................. :rockwoot:

different strokes for different folks :beercheers:

Here are a couple more pics of parts.. I didnt get the parts back like I was hoping to today so if all is well they will be done next week..

This is the chrome on my front bypass housings.. not as good as I hoped but it was inexpensive

post-1097-1252714824_thumb.jpg

and my new skid plate... taylor made for me

post-1097-1252715078_thumb.jpg

post-1097-1252715103_thumb.jpg

It is coming together.... slowly lol

Capt

no there was alot of confusion on this point.the frame was brought up to new standards eyeball fab didnt own the car it was a customers car. the original owner. caused a bit of confusion in the situation. < its more complicated than that. however. eyeballfab did add a 25 gallon fuel cell at davids request. the frame was reinforced like the newer phantom cars. and they added a hood a new dash and extenders for side panels. at that time. then the used parts were put back on. builder didnt bother to inform david of the worn parts. most likely a busy shop schedual or whatever . the car didnt act right. david would call me and i was baffled. ive driven other eyeball cars and they act like mine.

so james and i said eff it and had david bring it down BTW: thats james shop not mine. but james and i build alot of stuff in there lol . any wase david brought it down. when it rolled out of the trailer a few of its problems became apperant. ride heighth was all messed up. front end up high and rear soft and squated.

after all the above work in the rear was done. ed the shock guy called to tell david the bypasses were way to stiff. like 20 compression and 15 rebound. i got a chance to talk to the original owners son. and it all came to light. the cars owner ( we call him the wheely king) had set the front end stiff and high and squatted the back to ride wheelys. no thought to dune ability. the owner of eyeball fab was his wheely competition. chris said he didnt know phill had done that.<(sneaky 1 upmanship) he noticed the car was a little squirly but wrote it off to the paddles. << extreme 36s which boosted the rear of the car up where the cranked front was not as noticable.

when david put the 33s on wala it was very obvious. we contacted king i spoke with brett and got the right valving. so ed could set it up. we also changed out the front springs to eleminate binding issues. james and i are very confident we have arrested all the issues. the car should perform as it was supposed to. we are trying schrader valves in the fron coil springs there supposed to work as a bumpstop and help with the load under extreme compression. we dont know how its going to perform on a lighter car but were hopefull.

the cosmetics were entirely decisions by david. he picked some really nice colors ( we did nag him alot :clap:)

but it came out sweet. i personally could not stand the old powder against the new powder. im glad he decided to repowder the old panels. once all the chroming and powder is done we have the front end to assemble and test. im confident that car will be great ( maybe a lil more fine tuning) the other smaller issues we fixed along the way.

that cars is gonna be bad a$$. its amazing how how you can find other peoples perssonal prefrences can ruin your own expectations weed them out and you get a totaly different car.

some of you know there was some contaversy when the car first got done. most of these issues were figured out. and eyeball fab has been very helpful while we weeded out the cars issues with free welding on the new mods. extra parts and what not. everything seems to be back in order. :sophie:

i cant wait to see the car after painter joe gets his hands it. and adds that yellow :thumb:

Youre going to be happy and much more confident in the car knowing you took it apart and did it right. It really sucks when you put trust in a builder and then they halfass the car back together. :dunno: Wether it was scheduling or any other reason EYEBALL halfassed your car together, there is no excuse. You and your families safety were in their hands and they let you down. Im sure BOB AND JAMES would not let you go out knowing you and your family were in an unsafe car. Its cool that you have friends that want things done right and SAFELY. :beat: And to the guys at EYEBALL that through this car together knowing WORN OUT PARTS could brake and injure, possibly kill people in this car. YOU SUCK!!!!!! :thumb::think::think::loser:

Youre car is badass David. Kudos for taking the time, investing the money to make it right and safe and going with your gut instinct when you knew it wasnt right. :old:

Youre going to be happy and much more confident in the car knowing you took it apart and did it right. It really sucks when you put trust in a builder and then they halfass the car back together. :thumb: Wether it was scheduling or any other reason EYEBALL halfassed your car together, there is no excuse. You and your families safety were in their hands and they let you down. Im sure BOB AND JAMES would not let you go out knowing you and your family were in an unsafe car. Its cool that you have friends that want things done right and SAFELY. :loser: And to the guys at EYEBALL that through this car together knowing WORN OUT PARTS could brake and injure, possibly kill people in this car. YOU SUCK!!!!!! :dunno::thumb::think::think:

Youre car is badass David. Kudos for taking the time, investing the money to make it right and safe and going with your gut instinct when you knew it wasnt right. :old:

First off let me say I do not work for Eyeball, you have no idea what you are talking about. Eyeball DID NOT halfass anything on this car. I have talked to Chris and know the whole story about what happened. So if you don't know the whole story then you should really keep your comments to yourself. This car was not bought from Eyeball it was bought from a person. So the build and the way it was done and the money that was spent on it is between Capt and the guy he bought the car from. If the car was halfassed when Capt went to pick it up then he should have NEVER picked it up. Like I said there is way more to this than what has been said. I am very good friends with the owner of Eyeball and he is a good guy. By the way this was and is a USED car and so were the parts on it when it was bought.

Edited by wild1s

OK. I try to not involve myself in these sort of matters but really. Should this car have left the shop of the original builder that built it with so many safety issues? If it was my shop with my name I would have never let it go without all the critical points taken care of. The important thing is that these things have been taken care of. I have been a fan of Eyeball products for years but I think this was something that shouldn't have been overlooked. I know they build a great car. Just wish they would have paid more attention to this one since they were the ones to tear it all down and rebuild it.

OK. I try to not involve myself in these sort of matters but really. Should this car have left the shop of the original builder that built it with so many safety issues? If it was my shop with my name I would have never let it go without all the critical points taken care of. The important thing is that these things have been taken care of. I have been a fan of Eyeball products for years but I think this was something that shouldn't have been overlooked. I know they build a great car. Just wish they would have paid more attention to this one since they were the ones to tear it all down and rebuild it.

Ok I understand what you are saying about the saftey issues, I have talked with Chris the owner of Eyeball and he has told me many different times that Capt knew the state of this car when he went to pick it up. Capt has also taken this car out (from what I was told) on some pretty hard rides after he bought it. Chris has told me that he went over everything with Capt and Capt knew what the car needed and how it was put together. Once again this was and still is a used car and if I rember right it is about 6 yrs old and most of the parts on it have been replaced. The guy that owned this car went to Glamis more than anyone that I know. Almost every weekeend. So this car was drove hard and for the most part taken care of. So yes it was a used car went Capt bought it and it had used parts on it but I know Chris and I can tell you there were NO saftey issues when it left the Eyeball shop.