Vw to subaru rail slow transformation

crewzin70

I've been lurking for quite a while and finally decided to quit being lazy and post pics since the car is is about where I want it.

Started out 3 seasons ago as a mid travel 4 seat fugitve frame with a 1915 turbo'd IRS car with a 5 rib 002. After the first season the vw gave me soo many issues that I decided a repower was for me and in went a 2.5 turbo subi post-4148-1253542589_thumb.jpg

post-4148-1253542681_thumb.jpg

post-4148-1253542815_thumb.jpg

So of course with the subaru and supporting parts was extra weight so I pulled out the torsion bars and put an eliminator kit in with the heim setup and wheeled and dealed with a buddy for some King 14in 2.5 coilovers. Shortly after that with a few fun rides in the desert the rear boxed 3x3 arms decided to taco.

next was a set of Averys offroad Chromo 3x3 arms that I had them made to reach all the way up to the torsion housing and not bolt up like your average 3x3's. MUCh Beefier.post-4148-1253543144_thumb.jpg

Along the way with that ordeal I upgraded to a set of wilwood calipers on the rear and ditched the 2 piston conversion calipers that came with the car.

Over this summer the 002 tranny was swapped out for a built 091 close ratio from Don's bus boxn WOW what a difference.

All this leads us up to current events trying to finish to go out this season. A couple weeks ago I had a knocking in the engine, after further inspection I had pieces of bearings in my pan. I have had an STI block laying around and so it has gone in and the engine is on it's way back together but this time will be running 10lbs of boost compared to the 5 I had in the last engine.

So next added was an oversized STI intercooler I mounted but had to have plumbed and a scoop installed.

I contacted a local Fab shop (Rock Monster) and had Justin Cramer look at what I needed, he built the scoop and plumbed it.

As everything always snowballs we couldn't stop there. I had picked up a set of used Funco A-arms and spindles for a great price a while back. Also a set of 10in 2.5 king piggybacks. All that was left was to chop the front of the car off and make this work. Justin did a great job and had it done quickly, I'd recommend him to anyone. Adding pics to next post.

post-4148-1253544486_thumb.jpg

post-4148-1253544674_thumb.jpg

Edited by crewzin70

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is one hell of a transformation. Looks like you are doing a great job. When will you have it together by? You will need to bring it to a meet and greet to show it off. Welcome to the site.

Thanks, I hope to have it all back together by Halloween, just depends on funding. Work has been way too slow.

I belive it is just Justin and another guy in that shop now. Yeah that hummer project is pretty sick. As for VW parts just sold the Beam and engine was sold last season, only thing really left is a 19.25 axle and the plates that the heim screws into and bolts to the trailing arm for the torsion bar eliminator kit. Also an empi 3 gauge center console I will be getting rid of. Had to keep selling all the parts to fund the project.

Edited by crewzin70

Talk about an upgrade! :cry: Looks sweet! I bet ya can't wait to go tear up some sand in it with the new power and suspension.

Sandseeker knows all about the benefits of the upgrades your doing. :worthless_without_pics:

Welcome out of the lurker status too! :dunno: We've talked about making a profile rank for lurkers who have like less than 20 posts or something. :old:

yes, thats a great improvement. lots of people have started out that way building their toys up.

I had the same FRAME with a 4.3 chevy motor in it, that I had built in my shop. :dunno: I miss that buggy.

but i went ahead and purchased a v-8 and then rebuilt that as well. :worthless_without_pics: YOU ARE DEFINETLY DOING A GREAT JOB IN YOUR PLANS, CONGRATULATIONS hope to see it soon. :old:

Thanks for all the great comments. I actually had the subaru in last season, and yes what a big difference that was. Power was great and it was good on fuel only at 5 lbs. Only problem was the stock 002 tranny was ready to give. So with the new 091 tranny just around the neighborhood it feels like a whole new animal! I look forward to meeting all of you out there this season and hopefully some nice dune riding. :pics:

If anyone has a hook up on a used or new set of combo spindle hubs and brakes give me a heads up.

Pretty much that and a set of front wheels will almost have me in the sand.

Edited by crewzin70

This week I added the limit straps and adjusters up front and finally decided on where all my gauges and switches were going. I used to have a 3 gauge center box but it was too low to be watching while duning and switches were not in my reach while strapped in the seat. So this is where they are going now, this is kind of just a mock up until I have cash to have it all done in aluminum, also the other gauges are on order.

post-4148-1254279566_thumb.jpg

post-4148-1254279678_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Haven't done too much lately but work on the dash. It ended up being more fun and a little less cash to do my dash myself. Only thing I paid for was for someone to tig weld the 2 upright sides on the lower box part. I still have to place all my switches where I want them and some idiot lights. So inside will be a fuse panel and a few relays for the lights. A While back I picked up a set of front tires and rims and also added an adjustable light bar and 3 HID's, one is off being repaired.

sandrailtransformation050.jpg

sandrailtransformation051.jpg

sandrailtransformation052.jpg

sandrailtransformation053.jpg

sandrailtransformation054.jpg

sandrailtransformation055.jpg

Edited by crewzin70

It looks great. One thing I noticed is you don't want the bottom of the front tire coming up higher than the bottom of the front end. That could cause some major problems. If the front suspension compresses all the way and the front end digs end you can get hurt pretty bad. Just my thoughts.

It looks great. One thing I noticed is you don't want the bottom of the front tire coming up higher than the bottom of the front end. That could cause some major problems. If the front suspension compresses all the way and the front end digs end you can get hurt pretty bad. Just my thoughts.

Don, It's all good bottomed out with no springs on at full compression with the tires I have on there I still have 3 full inches of ground clearance. LOL no way I wanted to be laying frame with my front end! Thanks for looking out and the input, keep it coming. I have 4 children thhat ride with me in this car so if anyone sees any issues that need to be addressed feel free to post up. This is a learning process and my first sand car so I love everyones insight.

Edited by crewzin70

Added the idiot lights and all my switches today. So this is pretty much finished except for adding another switch for something later and a cigarette/12v source socket and plumbing the inside. Should be real close to all buttoned up this weekend I hope.

sandrailtransformation056.jpg

• 1 month later...

Since the last post the car has been down to Outfront Subaru for a dyno run a couple weeks ago. BTW one of the best shops I have ever dealt with, John and all his guys are top notch. It is set at 8lbs of boost on 91 octane and around 290 FWHP. I had some issues with the oil pump and some debri in the engine but all that is good now.

Added a bar behind the front seats to both B pillars.

Also worked out some bugs with some mean bump steer in the steering. Now it is cycling 18in up front and close to no bump.

I ended up selling my Pro Comp HID's and buying 2 pencil and 2 flood Baja designs that I'm converting over to HID, I used my lightbar I built for the other lights with moving the tabs and rotating it a bit.

The last pencil will replace the 2 pencils I have in the center of the hood area.

Today,Justin (that did my front end) and I finished up my side panels, all that is left is some bead rolling and I need to buy some more aluminum for my roof piece.

Whats left for me to make it for prez weekend is switch out a set of my rear springs for a lighter set and have all the shocks tuned. Have a custom fuel tank fabbed up with some additional resevoir welded to it for PS (that may be added later) and coolant overflow. Last will be a good one over on all the fasteners and a few little odds and ends.

here are a few pics, what do you all think?

post-4148-1264904398_thumb.jpg

post-4148-1264904449_thumb.jpg

post-4148-1264904584_thumb.jpg

post-4148-1264904627_thumb.jpg

Looks great. I did a lot of suspensinsion upgrades on my first car as well; they turned out awesome, it did fantastics through the whoops. With a little bit of fine tuning, you're gonna fall in love with your car again. :banghead:

You probably saved a buttload of cash as well :banghead:

may I make a suggestion?

I think you need to ditch the spindle mounts asap. the car looks great, I just dont want you gettin hurt! i have seen spindle mounts blow right off on midtravel cars. with the speed you will be able to reach with that car and the new suspension. it might be wise to go with a cheap hub just for added strength. you dont need to go tatum or jamar, just get a hub that will fit that. you can sometimes find cut down drums that work just as good!

great build should be fuN!

Yeah I had plans for hubs with front brakes and weighed options with the budget and the combo I have on now was all I could do but it is on the list for upgrades along with beadlocks all around. Figured the combo spindle mount could work till the end of this season.... haha like 2-3 trips.

Tatums seem to be the best bang for the buck for price so that is what I have been looking at.

Edited by crewzin70

may I make a suggestion?

I think you need to ditch the spindle mounts asap. the car looks great, I just dont want you gettin hurt! i have seen spindle mounts blow right off on midtravel cars. with the speed you will be able to reach with that car and the new suspension. it might be wise to go with a cheap hub just for added strength. you dont need to go tatum or jamar, just get a hub that will fit that. you can sometimes find cut down drums that work just as good!

great build should be fuN!

That makes no sense. :unsure: Spindle mount wheels mount the same way as hubs. If you want beadlocks or brakes that's a different story. I have NEVER had a bit of problems with my wheels at all.