Proposed fee change at Dumont

The yearly pass doesn't bother me. There is a lot of times when I go out for one night, on the "off weekends" and I sleep in a tent and with all the bathrooms locked. I always pay the $30 for one night which doesn't bother me, but $40+ is to much.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. Looks like this is a bad subject to get involved in, so don't linch me. (Bert, I didn't know you had it in you) :-) I like it!

I work for Johnnie Walker RV's in Las Vegas, we sell the passes. What a nightmare! I'm the one that makes sure we have enough passes so we don't run out out and settles up every month with the BLM. This BLM office is very good to deal with, however, I think they are spending a small fortune printing passes that will never be used.

season with holiday $120.00

season without holiday $90.00

buy it in Sept. get a $10.00 discount on season with holiday

buy it in Sept. get a $10.00 discount on season with no holiday

week with no holiday $30.00

week with holiday $40.00

buy a season with no holiday you can purchase a $10.00 sticker or cut off portion of holiday sent to BLM

(5 times a season) :clap:

I'm not complaining, just pointing out what has not been said. We will keep doing it however they want but it is really a pain in the....

We sold only a hand full of season passes with no holiday and very few add on stickers, well this year no stickers were available, we had to take a holiday week pass and cut the corner off and send it back with the season pass number. (I say they get rid of this mess.)

They need to do something to simplify the whole deal I agree.

I also have a problem with the extra vehicle, as the Inyo County Sheriff likes to stop me for double towing, M/H trailer too long and whatever else they think they can get me for. So my wife usually follows me. It costs us a small fortune every year. I wish they could come up with an add on for extra vehicles but how do you police this?

Until they come up with a better system, I say 2 passes, one for a week and one for season.

We need to figure out how to charge for a day pass and one for an extra vehicle (charged to Inyo County ;) )

why not pay a little extra on a pass to be able to have gest come in have the plate # of the car on the pass and only be able to have like 2 to 3 # on a pass a year??? and then have parking down below by the creek for just cars to pay a smaller fee for parking you can do like they do in the city have a lock box that you pay in to and if you dont you get a ticket ???? it is a joke for some one to visit to see the dunes and have to pay that much $$$ for a hour or 2

Thats why I thought of a special pass you can only buy when you buy a season pass that will allow vehicles with passengers only in.

So you could have a season pass for 120

add on pass only when you buy a season at same time of purchase for passenger vehicle for 15 for the season.

add on pass for an extra vehicle to bring in toys or a trailer for 40-50 for the season but you also have to purchase this at the same time of season pass purchase. and plate numbers have to match.they will be punched on the pass when you buy it.

Week pass for 40

2day or 1 day pass for 15

for those that say why dont they just make a 2 for one deal.....becuase buddies will team up and say "hey man here is my money lets get the 2 for one deal" and then the BLM is losing money.

This is only for people who know they will get the use out of a season pass and go enough to probably have to buy 2 passes to get their family to the dunes but why is it fair to make 1 guy buy 2 passes just because his tow rig cant fit all his family in it.

or one goes out early to get their spot they like and the other has to come a few days later.

Edited by sanddunesaddict

You and I both know the answer to the question Bert. Because the few who use it for their advantage screw it up for the rest of us who are willing to do things the right way. I will try to see what we can do about buying a "tag a long" pass for vehicles with no sports equipt. in them such as a passenger car or empty truck. Maybe if it is purchased at the time of the annual pass we could certainly suggest it. Due to RAMP only meeting once a year and that is in August this year I don't think it will make it this year but I will certainly try for the next time around.

The big problem is that people cheat when they can and that's why we had to put holograms on the passes because people copied them. Also the short time passes(1-2 day) would have to have someone at the checkpoint 24/7 which we both know is not going to happen. When we used the vendor to sell and check passes we basically just handed them money. They are currently under investigation by the FBI.

I don't want the passes to increase but I do see why the BLM is requesting it, it's tuff to explain,

like when gas prices go down but the gulf is being filled with 1,000,000 gallons a oil a day, figure that one out?

If any fee change needs to be approved by this RAMP or whatever it is, why does the fee have to go up? Why not down? :banghead:

Why not just balance the 2 out?

$120 for an annual, $30 for a weekly. (I still think it should only be $25 but whatever)

Think about it this way, the annual pass fee basically is going from $90 to $120, and then the weekly pass can just stay at $30. How hard is that?

Terry, I know you are on our side but this is ridiculous. Yes, it's only $10. OK, so then they shouldn't make much a fuss about it then.

My whole beef with this situation is the cost of a weekly pass at Dumont. It's downright overpriced. It doesn't affect me since I buy an annual, but I still don't think it's fair for those who only go for a day or two. Here's a quick comparison....it's only $5 to enter Lake Mead and use the lake and the facilities there for a whole week.

I only have one complaint..........today.........

I am able to go anytime I want too..

My family can olny, or only wants to come for one day when I am out there. This is usually on a big weekend like Thanksgiving.

Since I buy the Holiday Pass every year, it should allow me to have visitors, without any toys to come in and spend the day with me and not be charged.

There are people at the entrance on big weekends so other than a tag of some sort that allows the visitors and a resonable governing body to set the peramiters........NO problem.....Right?????

That's it for me!

:banghead:

I also noticed that the HOLIDAY WEEKLY passes were all artsy fartys sh*t. Is that what the $$$$ went to. Not just a plain paper pass, but custom vinyl stick to treasure???

The "artsy fartsy" sh*t as you put it came around because the honest people we have were copying the old ones on printers and using them thus avoiding paying at all. So as usual the few screw it up for the masses.

those of you allocating screwing the weekly pass people in favor of the annual pass for the no increase will only screw yourself the next time this crap comes around

last time we raised the weekly passes, so this time, its the annual

just hold the line on NO increases!!

how crappy is it that we are in a recession, the worst in almost a century, and the only talk is INCREASE??? WTF???

Dumont Dunes National Park is startng to sound good.... here's an example of fees...

Entrance Fees at the Ten Most-Visited National Parks

1. Great Smoky Mountains National Park (2008 visitors - 9,044,010) - No entrance fee.

2. Grand Canyon National Park (2008 visitors - 4,425,314) - $25 per vehicle; $12 per person on motorcycles, bicycles, or on foot .

3. Yosemite National Park (2008 visitors - 3,431,514) - $20 per vehicle; $10 per person on motorcycles, bicycles, or on foot.

4. Olympic National Park (2008 visitors - 3,081,451) - $15 per vehicle; $5 per person on motorcycles, bicycles, or on foot.

5. Yellowstone National Park (2008 visitors - 3,066,580) - $25 per vehicle; $20 per motorcycle or snowmobile; $12 on skis or foot. Entrance fee is also good for Grand Teton National Park.

6. Cuyahoga Valley National Park (2008 visitors - 2,828,233) No entrance fee.

7. Rocky Mountain National Park (2008 visitors 2,757,390) - $20 per vehicle; $10 per person on motorcycles, bicycles, or on foot.

8. Zion National Park (2008 visitors - 2,690,154) - $25 per vehicle; $12 per person on motorcycles, bicycles, or on foot.

9. Grand Teton National Park (2008 visitors - 2,485,987) - $25 per vehicle; $20 per motorcycle or snowmobile; $12 on skis or on foot. Entrance fee is also good for Yellowstone National Park.

10. Acadia National Park (2008 visitors - 2,075,857) - $20 per vehicle from late-June through October. No charge from November through April. Reduced rest of year; $5 per person on motorcycles, bicycles, or on foot.

Here's where I found this http://www.valdosta.edu/~dlscott/national_parks/fees.html Camping is extra,

Someone once told me "if you don't vote you don't have the right to b*!ch"

Go to a TRT meeting... Terry has always offered a ride to anyone willing to go..

Either way........ C U N DA SAND!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead::driver::thumb:

WTF is the green sticker money that CA is extorting from me go towards? Is that for something other than BLM managed land? I can't even non-op the quad I have that doesn't run - WTF! No wonder everyone is at their wits end over 10.00, when is enough, enough?

"COME TO ME WITH A SOLUTION, NOT JUST A COMPLAINT ABOUT SOMETHING"

Chiat people. Figure out a solution don't just post your gripes.

We had a Saturday meeting that only a very few folks attended! like 4. That was just a couple of months ago!

What you have to realize is that decisions are made about a year or more prior to them being considered or implemented. At the last meeting they talked about things that are not going to happen, if they do, for one or two years!!!!!

It's the government people, things take time to move forward. The economy is in shanbles, no taxes to fund things. What the heck is the BLM suppose to do????

First...They protect their own jobs!

Then they answer to the poeple that holler the loundest.....Tree Huggers!!!

I've posted this before, help the cause or just stand by and wait to see what happens!!!!!

Do I agree with what they do, Hell NO!!!!!!~. But to just bit*h and not do something to help solve the problem is a crock of crap!!!

Phew.....I feel better already!!!

:banghead:

I thought I posted a VERY fair solution to this but nobody has said anything about it. I haven't heard back from the BLM yet, but I will be sure to get some answer eventually.

What do you think Terry? I think it is very fair.

I thought I posted a VERY fair solution to this but nobody has said anything about it. I haven't heard back from the BLM yet, but I will be sure to get some answer eventually.

What do you think Terry? I think it is very fair.

First I just want to say that I was not nor am I in favor of raising the weekly fee but due to the fact that the holiday's take up so much of our money I felt that the case was justified. Most weekly passes are sold for the holiday weekends so I went along with it. I am all for getting rid of the complicated system we have now as it is way to much of an enforcement and accounting headache.

As to a day pass i would love to see it but personally don't think I ever will. Due the lack of ability of having the "gate" guarded 24/7 and each pass having(since they are time/dated) to be closely inspected. It is not physically possible and the people who just can't seem to play by the rules no matter what it are going to try to take advantage of the situation by purchasing a day pass staying there several days and then leave when they know the gate will be unguarded.

I would like to see some sort of sticker that you could buy along with an annual pass that would allow another vehicle access but not be allowed to have toys whats so ever in it/on it etc. It could even be an actual sticker that goes on the family car. If you sell it the sticker must be removed and sent to BLM for a new one. They could have corresponding #'s or something like that. it's just a thought.

It is a problem that everything you deal with in government circles takes so much time or else it would be a lot easier.

As to the Glamis $25.00 weekly Pass it only happened that way because somebody dropped the ball and didn't get the proper paperwork submitted to the RAMP for a price increase in time for that year's meeting. So trust me it will change.

To put it short and simple I don't see anything changing this coming season as we have to have letters of support to the RAMP by August and from what I have seen here it would appear that's not going to happen so we will be stuck with what we have for another year till we get the chance to change it again.

Terry

The "artsy fartsy" sh*t as you put it came around because the honest people we have were copying the old ones on printers and using them thus avoiding paying at all. So as usual the few screw it up for the masses.

Thank you Terri. I agree with you on that, about the fuggers who copy em and ruin it for us. I just wanted to know what the reasoning was, and you answered. Thank you. Jay

Ok, Hello all, and thank goodness we get to talk about this among all common folk who like to play hard. My family and I enjoy both dunning and trails. In San Bernardino County mountain ranges we buy a Wilderness Pass for the season for one it's $35.00 and we pay an additional $5.00 for second pass for the, you guessed it, the guest pass or day pass or whatever you want to call it. On a business end of it, when you are more general population friendly with folks, (like you and me) you will encourage more participants which in turn would increase revenue. Ok, so stop, you increase people you increase the stupidity, no not really. As one chimer indicated that he would love to have his Mom come out on the Holiday's to enjoy what she raised her children to enjoy, but lost the one soul mate that lead her and the children there all these years past! Some day she or he will not be able to come out. On the other hand, you have the up and comers to the dunes that may not want or be able to come when the rest of the fam comes out and perhaps, introduces their friends to the enjoyment of the dunes. Yep, you will get your idiots, but you get them anywhere.

Oh, for the ones that think this is a crazy price to pay, when was the last time you went to one of those commercial amusement parks, that you wait in a stinking line behind other people from gosh knows where only to smell their lack of personal hygiene and on your feet for 2 hours for what, 45 to 90 seconds of a thrill? Yep that for a fam of 4 would easily set you back $500.00 when the ONE day is done! Just think, no camp fires, no smores, no fireworks (oops did I say that) yes there out there and we know it. Ok, no runs with our friends that share a common interest, no North Pole funnies, No south Pole tributes to our Soldiers. I could go on, but I think by now, you get it.

Go to the River in the off season, if you stay at a State Park that would run you between $25 to 40 per night with hookups or arrive at the commercial parks and that will easily run you $45 to 55 per night. You can't run the river or lake like you run the dunes but you still have fun with friends and fam.

No, I don't want to pay anymore that I have to, but if I have to, to enjoy you, me and my friends and family, I will give up something for the extra few bucks. We are all grown, you can figure it out.

Thank you all for yoru time in this endeavour for our satisfaction of this recreational area.

WTF is the green sticker money that CA is extorting from me go towards? Is that for something other than BLM managed land? I can't even non-op the quad I have that doesn't run - WTF! No wonder everyone is at their wits end over 10.00, when is enough, enough?

Green sticker fee is the registration fee for the toy, not the tugs that get you there or the entrance fee to a park or Recreational area.

First I just want to say that I was not nor am I in favor of raising the weekly fee but due to the fact that the holiday's take up so much of our money I felt that the case was justified. Most weekly passes are sold for the holiday weekends so I went along with it. I am all for getting rid of the complicated system we have now as it is way to much of an enforcement and accounting headache.

As to a day pass i would love to see it but personally don't think I ever will. Due the lack of ability of having the "gate" guarded 24/7 and each pass having(since they are time/dated) to be closely inspected. It is not physically possible and the people who just can't seem to play by the rules no matter what it are going to try to take advantage of the situation by purchasing a day pass staying there several days and then leave when they know the gate will be unguarded.

I would like to see some sort of sticker that you could buy along with an annual pass that would allow another vehicle access but not be allowed to have toys whats so ever in it/on it etc. It could even be an actual sticker that goes on the family car. If you sell it the sticker must be removed and sent to BLM for a new one. They could have corresponding #'s or something like that. it's just a thought.

It is a problem that everything you deal with in government circles takes so much time or else it would be a lot easier.

As to the Glamis $25.00 weekly Pass it only happened that way because somebody dropped the ball and didn't get the proper paperwork submitted to the RAMP for a price increase in time for that year's meeting. So trust me it will change.

To put it short and simple I don't see anything changing this coming season as we have to have letters of support to the RAMP by August and from what I have seen here it would appear that's not going to happen so we will be stuck with what we have for another year till we get the chance to change it again.

Terry

New to DDR, but willing to go to meets too. Let me know or where to find out where.

i feel the complication is from this 'buy away from dumont OR at the gate' situation. make a cost for entry and charge that at the gate. the whole 'buy your pass elsewhere' is the problem. if people scrape by, comming in at night/leave at night then so be it. that will always happen, as will people driving through the little dunes in the middle of the day to avoid paying, people running passes out durring the day to avoid paying. its going to happen. make a 7 day fee, and a season long fee. find a clever blm way to make sure the season long pass cant (easily) be copied and sell it at the gate ONLY, as the week passes should be sold only at the gate. check passes on the way out (as it has been) and everything will be simplified.. my .02 but whatever the fees become, we'll most likely all pay them.. i know i will. i definitely appreciate having medical on site as myself (and a few others in camp) have used and appreciated very much

whatever happens, happy duning everybody

Edited by tylerthehucker

We know a few people that have not payed for the Pass in a few years... Whatever... I would not want to be caught out in the sand with out the pass..

These increased fees are just going to push a few more familys away from enjoying their sand dunes.. Every time I turn around there is another fee increase. In the country of Kailfornia that I live in "for now"..

The DMV has just about doubled the fees on everything.. Now were being hit at the riding areas too!!! :headbang1:

As for the BLM and their fees... Its got to stop some where, some time.. Give it a break!

We just want to go out and ride! :atv: Why increase the rental fee for the sand!!! We have always come back as good return customers... Why punish us for that???...

:coocoo:

Edited by Dune Family