Sperry Wash Meeting 9-14 @ 7PM

ynot

This is the e-mail address provided for emailing comments...

amargosa@blm.gov

Good call Pete! :thumb:

I have one seat left to go tonight for anyone from the Mission Hills Paradice Hills area of Henderson that decided they want to go!! Leaving my house at 4:30 or there abouts! PM me if you would like to go!

One last note to those that might be driving:

Far be it for me to be cautious or not trusting of people but............:think: If certain people might think there is a large group coming from Vegas and might be driving a little faster than maybe they should, it wouldn't surprise me if Inyo County Sheriff's or the CHP officer that lives in Pahrump could possibly be in the area.:dunno: Since I have only seen them once or maybe the CHP twice in the many years I have been driving through Tecopa, and considering the political clout of of those certian people............. let your better judgement be your guide !!!

Edited by sandawg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well? :watching:

Did the Tecopa or Shoshone residents show up with any opposing comments against the management plan or offroaders?

The Tecopa residents seemed to be against blocking off the land. None of them were really for the offroaders, and more for their needs, but those needs still served offroaders. They were concerned about RV, Hiking, Commercial use of the "Wild" Area. None of them really said anything against offroaders IMO. One gentleman that owns land right in that area of Tecopa seems much more on our then I was expecting.

Because this WSR plan is still part of the larger ACEC plan, there isn't really going to be any changes to anything for offroaders at this time. The offroaders going in closed areas really wasn't addressed much. The problem will be, as Terry pointed out, if these endagered little fish come farther down the river then the eco-terrorists will want the Recreation area closed down. There were still some grey area details for me. Mainly, how hard is it going to be for them to close Dumont crossing.

Please remember that this isn't the last public comment meeting. After the plan is formulated there must be another one. After it's approved there is an appeal process.

The meeting was a bit scary. The BLM representatives when they didn't know something turned to Brian Brown for help and the guy in charge of drawing up the plan didn't know where Sperry was for which the Sperry Wash is named. Maybe he will at the next one. I'm all for educating those new to the area. It bothers me when they turn first to a guy with a very greenie twist. When I found the Wilderness expert for the Barstow office he'd only been on the job a week.

The other representative told me after the meeting that I needed to understand that there was a "lunatic fringe" that didn't respect anything they did to protect the wilderness. I replied that if they wanted people to respect the wilderness they might consider getting the postings right and enjoyed the look on his face. I also said I didn't consider Brian Brown "lunatic fringe" (I may be getting there however.) He immediately replied that he didn't either. Went way over his head that I was talking about the environmental damage at China Ranch.

I ad libbed a comment about stream crossings in the Fish Lake National Forest in Utah which help protect the environment and while I understood that the BLM didn't have the money perhaps the conservatory if they were really concerned about the river did. This morning I wonder why the BLM doesn't. Dumont is tiny by comparison. The forest service has trail rangers, Leo's, rescue teams, trail markers,they have to reopen the hundreds of miles of trails every season due to fallen trees, improved steam crossings, gates, and fences to enforce the 50" rule and they do it all without a single user fee. I guess they aren't building fences to keep me out although Terry with his S might have an argument about that :) Still many trails open to those over 50"

I've grown extremely tired of hearing of environmental damage real or imagined caused by out-of-bounds dune riders. I woke this morning enjoying the fact the I was able to toss back some damage caused by the greenies. I watched Brown's face carefully as I said it and Brown really isn't feeling any love toward me to today. Good, he's forgotten that without the T&T railroad his family would have moved on to other areas and he wouldn't even be in the area today without the T&T. I don't appreciate his efforts to "protect" it by keeping me and other that appreciate it out and further to screw with dune riders.

In your comments you might consider adding you don't come to Dumont to look at fences. The only reason that the greenies don't object to fact that fences are certainly less that scenic is that the greenies don't really use the areas the fences are supposed to protect so they don't have to look at them. Scenic river perhaps once. With all the fences no more and there are fences coming and user fees are going to pay for them.

Eli

Edited by eli

The Tecopa residents seemed to be against blocking off the land. None of them were really for the offroaders, and more for their needs, but those needs still served offroaders. They were concerned about RV, Hiking, Commercial use of the "Wild" Area. None of them really said anything against offroaders IMO. One gentleman that owns land right in that area of Tecopa seems much more on our then I was expecting.

Because this WSR plan is still part of the larger ACEC plan, there isn't really going to be any changes to anything for offroaders at this time. The offroaders going in closed areas really wasn't addressed much. The problem will be, as Terry pointed out, if these endagered little fish come farther down the river then the eco-terrorists will want the Recreation area closed down. There were still some grey area details for me. Mainly, how hard is it going to be for them to close Dumont crossing.

I never thought that was the case. This whole management plan was explained at the last sub group meeting in Barstow. It was long and boring, but I understood it was created in order to keep Sperry an open route and was in our favor for the most part. I was just curious if there were people who showed up trying to object and make some changes to try and overrule it. I talked with sda and sand~snake today and they filled me in on the rest of the meeting details as well. Sounds like it was went ok and there are alot more on our side than we thought. That's good to hear. I don't know why the hell people would complain about the traffic through their little towns going to and from the dunes. It is nothing new. People have been taking that route to get to and from Dumont for ages...probably well before they moved there.

Thanks to all that showed up to take a stand for the community. MUCH appreciated. DDRrocks.gif

ynot asked me to post this up...

post-3-0-25794400-1316184122_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pete, it was on my things to do list today. Just a FYI, these comment's must be completed and in to BLM via e mail or snail mail by 09-30-11

So please even if you didn't attend the meeting make your concerns heard.

Items to be aware of, at some point they are going to do post & cable to keep vehicles off of the side hills espically up as the wash gets closer to China ranch and down by the dunes themselves to prevent coming across the flats and up and over the ridges to gain access to the wash. Unless you want the whole trip up Sperry wash to be red posts and cable you may want to make a comment about losing the natural beauty of the wash .

Also what certain busisnesses in Tecopa want this to go through so that they can gain business in the Eco-Tourism business on trails and trailheads built and paid for by US the taxpayer.

Do a little reading by Goggling "Armagossa Wild and Scenic River" you will be amazed how much is on the net about this and it on almost if not all of the pages except for actual BLM pages they direct you in one way or another to a certain "Ranch".

Just for the good of the OHV community I ask that you not use the wash and the county road(which is illegal) to visit this certain "Ranch" and buy products from them. They are not our friends believe me. Your dollars are going to the Eco-Terroists who want to use our tax dollars to make more money for themselves! In any other business you have to invest your own money to advertise and bring guests to your business. Not this place, they got the river closed off many years ago under the AECE act and there is really no easy access to the river. Now with the "Scenic" part of the river they can petition BLM to make a road across the AECE to permit access to trails we are going to pay for. You guys see anything wrong with that picture?

Please do a little reading and make youself heard! I guarantee they will be back after the 5 miles of "Recreational" area we got out of the total of about 40 miles of river/canyon area. All it will take is a different administration and changes in the Barstow office.

Terry

It isn't just a matter of spending money at a certain Ranch. Close to the intersection there has often been an occupied RV behind a Conservatory sign and back in the brush. I'd suggest you might want to smile for the camera if you choose to turn illegally onto that county road. I wouldn't put it past them.

Eli

It isn't just a matter of spending money at a certain Ranch. Close to the intersection there has often been an occupied RV behind a Conservatory sign and back in the brush. I'd suggest you might want to smile for the camera if you choose to turn illegally onto that county road. I wouldn't put it past them.

Eli

wow i will never spend another dime at the ching chong ranch again and every one i know will hear about it