more and more VW's out in the dunes

dunefreak

OK, is it just me or are there a ton more VW / standard travel cars out there lately? I was discussing this with Sandawg the other day and then again with OGP tonight. It seems there are more old skool cars than long travel cars in the dunes this season. Are there more or are there just less LT cars by comparison?

Just an obversation. :watching:

Rocket, Booster and I sit on the bluff by our camping spot and watch the people coming in. :watching: We did notice a lot more old style rails coming in. We discussed that it may be that a lot of people lost their new rails and have pulled out the older rails just so they can still go to the dunes and enjoy it. Another explanation could be that us old style folks with paid off equipment are the only ones that can still afford to go to the dunes. Damed poor economy!

A real increase in numbers of Side by Sides is obvious. Again, the economy speaks. $15-20K vs. $50-100K and easier financing!

:old:

Edited by sandawg

The SXS deal doesn't add up tho (if your just talking sand) the RZR XP is like 20k out the door.

You can get a damn nice biggie for that these days. As for VW buggies I guess I didn't notice? Didn't seem to have more than normal... We do always seem to go on different weekends tho. :)

I saw plenty of VW'S on Turkey day But the LT out numbered the them guaranteed. Now if you want to talk RZR they are all over the place now. I could not hardly find a Rhino unless it was an R1 or Busa.

Back to VW'S To much work to own one for a non Mechanic as myself but they are much cheaper to operate so Sandawg you got it right people whom love the dunes will continue to do so with what means they have to spare!

i use my SxS for desert, rock crawling, and hunting also. cant do that in a big rail

yeap I agree that is why I said (if your talking JUST sand)

I have a Rhino as well, and had the same argument but I use my Rhino year round, as it appears you do to ! :peeps:

Back to VW'S To much work to own one for a non Mechanic as myself but they are much cheaper to operate so Sandawg you got it right people whom love the dunes will continue to do so with what means they have to spare!

I guess I have to ask this but if you keep up on the service and maintain them well are they really that much more work? I'm one of the cheapest bastids you've ever met but I don't want to sacrifice price for quality. It seems that when the long travel rails break it can be heavy on the pocket book.

I guess I have to ask this but if you keep up on the service and maintain them well are they really that much more work? I'm one of the cheapest bastids you've ever met but I don't want to sacrifice price for quality. It seems that when the long travel rails break it can be heavy on the pocket book.

I can have my VW motor rebuilt for less than the cost of one new shock for a long travel. Also Tommy, an older fella that we rode with Thanksgiving has the same motor he had 8 years ago in his rail and he can still storm the dunes in that thing!!

Edited by sandawg

I have had 2 old school VW cars over the years and for the mechanically inclined they would be a lot cheaper to work with. However having never claimed to be mechanically inclined it costs bucks either way and personally I will take the suspsnsion and HP on a LT car any day. It is part of the "E" ticket ride. Not saying anything bad about old school cars but having had some and moving up to a LT car there is no option for me.

Terry :ynot:

I would love to have a LT car, just can't affort to buy or opererate one as much as I go to the dunes.

Come on Obama. I'm drug free, no record, worked and paid taxes all my llife, served in the mitary......why can't I get a free ride for some bucks to buy a new rail and not have to pay it back?

Life just isn't fair!!!!! :bawl::dunno::usa:

:old:

Edited by sandawg

I have only ever ridden in a LT rail and never a VW so I can't compare. I'm sure the difference in the ride between the two is substantial. Horse power I'm sure is also substantial. I've gone over time and time again on what I will get when the time is right. I need a larger truck and a hauler first though. I think I would start with a light busa rail first. Pete's was a workhorse from what he said and the motor always seemed to run strong. The price on the busa rails seem very reasonable as well.

Yah, I'm guessin its a money thing. People are selling or losing their big money cars in exchange for...I dunno...a place to live :P

It's too hard to let go of this addiction though, so hence the vdubs? ...maybe

I have mainly ran VW's in all of my buggies. There is a guy out here that builds them so I support his bussiness and any time I need something he has it which is a rare convenience out here. I run a 2332 cc engine and have never been stranded. I take this thing on 100 mile trail rides through the desert with out worry. Over the years I have learned to work on them and they are very simple and easy to maintain. If you want more than 200hp you would definately be better off with a modern engine. This is the reason for at least one of the VW cars you see out there.

vw's are takeing over

That's fine. I'll never own one. If I ever had to go backwards, I'd go back to a Busa car. Way more power, , reliability and suspension than a VW beam car. I don't care what ya dune, just pay attention! As long as the people driving them don't have tunnel vision like most holiday duners. :grin:

My first two rails were VW's. Fun to drive but the lack of suspension on them was a killer. I sold them and upgraded each time. Now that I have a long travel car I will never go back to a beam car.

But there is still something sexy about a VW turbo motor when it goes by. If your the slightest bit a mechanic and can adjust the valves then they are easy to maintain. I drove my 4 seat Chenowith car like a slot car out in Glamis, (ask ISBB) with turning brakes I was running the same lines as the quads out there. Tons of fun back in the day but I will stick to what I have now.

default.jpg?0

spacer_clr.gif 2004 Hi-Jumper (Prowlers) Sand Sprite 6 long travel sandrail. It is in excellent condition with a powder coat paint job and a fresh 2332 turbo VW engine. ENGINE: Freshly rebuilt by Jeff Wilson (Mears Metel) of Michigan. Breakin consist of 10 gallons of 110 then we drained oil and checked valv.... view more ›› Manufacturer: Prowlers Hi-Jumper Asking Price: $25000 Offered By: Private Party

What am I missing here? $25,000 for a VW rail. I drive a Prowlers and long travel or not this thing can't be worth more than the long travels for sale right now.

I just looked at a 06 long travel tec 3 w/ a 323 HP outback Turbo Subaru that could be bought for 20K. Witch would you rather have????Like I said I must be missing something here.

Edited by sandawg

I do like my Prowler Hi Jumper but even if it were a long travel I would not want to try and keep up with a full bodied LT. When I first saw the Hi Jumper on the cover page of Sand Sports years ago I called them and they told me these cars are not jumpers, Mine is the A arm front end and I can tell that it will not hadle abusive driving. MIld steel under sized front suspension etc. But until I hit the lottery or a relative that I don't have many, leaves me a bunch of money I'm stuck with my Turbo 2180 VW with no travel. Only my body will say how long I'll be able to dune with this set up. :surrender: :dunno::broke::cripple:

:usa::old:

However having never claimed to be mechanically inclined it costs bucks either way...

You got that right. I've been running my little sandsprite 6 for almost 7 seasons now and it isn't cheap, but it was paid for before it hit the sand. I keep dreaming about the upgrade to a nice mid-engine 2 seat LT like Randogs or yours, however, life keeps getting in the way. :dunno:

Every dog has his day though...and until then I'll be cruisin' my little 2 seater in style with a grin from ear to ear. :driver::beercheers:

I love watching the big rails run...and it'll be nice to have more company if there are more VW's.

I love watching the big rails run...and it'll be nice to have more company if there are more VW's.

I have said this before. It would be so much fun to be able to get a large group of the smaller VW rails together for some runs. I can just visualize a long caravan of VW's weaving through the dunes. that would bring back the old days for me. :woo_hoo::driver:

Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of VW or small rail and motor combo rail owners on DDR that participate, maybe it will take going to the camps that have them to form a group and have a time and meeting place for runs during the trips. Well into a big weekend it would probably be to rough for an enjoyable ride but it would be better than not trying to put something together. Or, do what my group is seriously thinking ablut. Get to the Dunes a couple of days before the crowds get there for Virgin Sand Runs.

In my last couple of trips I had the opportuntiy to follow a VW rail driven my "Tommy" from Lou B's camp, and a run lead by "Sonny" in an older Corvair rail and a new friend of mine, on a run and it was a ball. :thumb:

Maybe it's time for an "Old School" Regatta??? A bunch of VW sponsors are still out there like CB performance, Chircos, Pacific Custom, Hot VW, etc.

How about some input from others in the same boat!

:blah: :blah: :blah:

:usa::old:

• 3 weeks later...