President's Weekend Tragedy

Mr. Sandman

RIP fellow duner. Hate hearing this stuff but it is also why I will never go back to Dumont on a holiday weekend. One year ago today my son and a very good friend of mine were involved in a serious crash at Comp. Those that saw it remember the carnage well. I went against my better judgement that weekend and it almost turned tragic for two seperate families. Things happened to where it was destroyed machines and bruised and battered bodies but fortunately nothing more serious.

Having said that, we just rolled back in from Glamis and it was very crowded and busy but you could also head south of Olds and have miles and miles of dunes damn near to yourself. Big crowds at China Wall but out in the dunes was as safe as you wanted to ride. Think I'll save Dumont for the non holiday weekends.

Rida safe ya'll.

RIP fellow duner. Hate hearing this stuff but it is also why I will never go back to Dumont on a holiday weekend. One year ago today my son and a very good friend of mine were involved in a serious crash at Comp. Those that saw it remember the carnage well. I went against my better judgement that weekend and it almost turned tragic for two seperate families. Things happened to where it was destroyed machines and bruised and battered bodies but fortunately nothing more serious.

Having said that, we just rolled back in from Glamis and it was very crowded and busy but you could also head south of Olds and have miles and miles of dunes damn near to yourself. Big crowds at China Wall but out in the dunes was as safe as you wanted to ride. Think I'll save Dumont for the non holiday weekends.

Rida safe ya'll.

I read on GD there were 2 fatalities down at Glamis over the weekend as well. :(

Here's a little more info that is posted on the coroner's page...

On 02/17/2012 at 10:45 PM, in the Dumont Dunes off road vehicle area in rural Baker. Nicholas Sean Blanchette, age 24, a resident of Riverside was riding an ATV on the "Competition Hill" and struck a sand rail broadside at about 40 MPH. The ATV rider was ejected from his vehicle. Paramedics that were stationed in the area responded to the location and transported the driver to their first-aid station and then pronounced him dead at 11:25 PM. The California Highway Patrol is investigating the collision. The driver's name will be released when next-of-kin has been notified.

I read on GD there were 2 fatalities down at Glamis over the weekend as well. :(

Yup,

one was right in front of our camp. Don't know too much for details, but an older vdub rail came flyin through, and tangled up with a quad. Nothing official as to who was at fault, but after the impact, the rail came to a rest in a bush a distance away, which implies he was going way too fast IN CAMP :rant: Life flight circled around, but was called off(already dead I assume). CHP showed up, so I'm thinking somebody was arrested.

Completely avoidable, if people just THINK, and slow down near camp.

RIP fellow duner. I heard the talk that night but didnt kno if it was a fact now i know. :( It was my 1st time to Dumont this weekend an ive read so much about accidents an things like this so i just played it safe. Only went up comp once at night an prob 20 times total. Banshee hill was more my style. Not as tall or agressive on the way down. Well i do have 2 pics of the tragedy :( :( R.I.P. plz ride safe!

post-7955-0-05918000-1329773041_thumb.jp post-7955-0-67270900-1329773061_thumb.jp

Also any1 know what happend on Sunday around 3pm?? I was at camp watching the drags and saw a ton of police head toward comp/banshee then the lifeflight helichopter showed up soon after.

Edited by John Brumley

glad everybody turned this unfortunate post into a " I avoid the holiday weekends post" oh wait I got an idea why don't you all open one up a post so you can b*tch about how you hate holiday weekends over there!

It is a tragic situation regardless of when / where it happened. It is human nature to try to justify the risks we take in our chosen sports, hobbies, occupations and life in general. While doing so we search for information, analyze and almost always come up with a way we can minimize risk and justify our continued activity. Accidents can happen at anytime out there, or anywhere for that matter but people all deal with the risk differently. I have my own opinions in regards to holiday weekends, but they seem unimportant right now compared to the grief all those involved in this tragedy must be experiencing. Once again Godspeed young duner and prayers sent to all effected......

Some bonehead in a rail almost hit our friend on a quad at Comp during the day. My cousins saw the rail/quad accident. Very sad to hear the guy died. They said he wasn't moving after the crash. RIP duner. :(

glad everybody turned this unfortunate post into a " I avoid the holiday weekends post"

oh wait I got an idea why don't you all open one up a post so you can b*tch about how you hate holiday weekends over there!

Paul is right, I have retracted my post ands will repost in the rant section.....AGAIN These types of things are always sad to read or hear, My condolences to the family...R.I.P. Nicholas Sean Blanchette of Riverside California.

From my conversation with BLM yesterday the rail was travelling the normal right to left along or nrar the top of Comp. The quad came up over the backside of comp and basically ran into the side of the rail right at the back wheel. He hit it so hard it forced the rail into a 180 turn. Comp hill is a dangerous place a night period, Coming up the back side and not k ow ing if there was anything on the other side was a tragic mistake and I feel for the family and wish the rider God's speed.

One of the other Flights for life was a stroke victim who was flown out. In talking to BLM they had 10 medical calls within 1 hour on Sunday. They were handeling it well but were amazed at the amount of incidents that had occured. I don't know if it is that fact that people are starting to come back out and may have been away for a while and lost some riding skills and some dune equittete.

we just got home after a LONG weekend at Dumont. My prayers are with the families of ALL who were invovled in any sort of accident this weekend. I have to say, Ive been going to Dumont for along time and been there for MANY holiday weekends......I saw the Medi-Vac more this weekend than I think I saw all season. RIP

I was there at Comp when this accident happened lets be honest it is very sad to know he passed away my thoughts and prayers are with his family in this difficult time. We have lost a fellow duner may he RIP. Also it does not matter where you ride Dumont, Glamis, pismo etc. anything can happen we all know it can happen anywhere at any time we just need to be more careful and learn from others mistakes.

• Like 1

President's Day last year one of our friends broke his neck in a freak accident in his RZR on a very small dune. Anything can happen and the smallest mistake can turn into disaster. Our group of duners handled the situation very well. Joe wore a halo and had surgery to fix his neck. He is able to walk and came back to Dumont this weekend with us. It was his first time riding the RZR in the dunes since the accident.

I feel bad for all the duners that got hurt this weekend and hope more were not killed.