Gas cans

Sounds like one of those laws only enforced if your caught blowing things up while high on meth and there's no Dumont pass hanging in your window. In other words, doing something really stupid.

Like lighting a mortor in camp when BLM is driving by...

The current gas cans we use " VP Racing" are not legal and even marked on them that they are not approved for fuels. The legal gas cans will be marked ARB approved and will have a non-spill spout. There are posts for Glamis warning that BLM will be looking for this. Just wanted to know if anyone heard of theirs at Dumont.

I've heard of this going on for the past year but never saw abody get cited. Last weekend I was El Mirage and I was talking to a ranger about this and he said they can cite for it, but dont, unless somebody is doing something extremely stupid. It has to do with cali and its CARB laws for cleaner air...which is complete bs.

This is actually a law in CA that has been in effect for a while to include last year, CARB compliant gas cans. It's one of those things that they aren't too tight on at Dumont but posts about it will draw attention to it and make an issue. My humble opinion is delete this whole post as the LEO's read it too.

I wrote this on the ASA and Glamis Dunes Facebook pages regarding the "gas can" issue:

For my Glamis/Dumont Dunes peeps - this is good legit info straight from the head LEOs at Imperial and Barstow BLM to me personally:

Spoke with the head Ranger in Imperial this morning about an urban legend regarding the CARB law/ban on fuel jugs. She said that they will not be citing anyone using the VP style plastic jugs or any others. There is no enforceable law against using them. They are in the ISDRA, however, going to be looking at implementing the same fuel catch requirements we in the racing community must have at the races on BLM land, i.e. a piece of carpet or (preferably) a 4-sided catch system to be used any time you are fueling your buggy, UTV, quad, etc. They don't want any fuel spills in the sand in your camp - not even a drop. I was told they will just be checking camps and gathering info - NOT CITING, and giving out info on what they want to see. Just giving you all a head's up and maybe we can be proactive for once. As far as fuel containment for both Glamis & Dumont, the main thing is having some sort of material (carpet or a tarp, for example) between the ground and the fuel cans if they are sitting directly on the ground. If they are inside of a trailer, on a trailer, in the back of a truck, they are good to go - no containment barrier required. Hope this helps dispel the urban legend and add some clarity. See ya in the dunes! p.s. don't forget those fire extinguishers!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any official link or memorandum about this new law?

THIS IS NOT A NEW LAW IT HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR ABOUT 8 YEARS NOW, IT IS NOT INFORCED AND NO ONE INFORCES IT AT DUMONT

OR AT GLAMIS

THIS IS WHAT THE CANS LOOK LIKE

post-4378-0-30359300-1449160441_thumb.jp

• 8 months later...

I have 3 of these cans the spout has lasted less than a year. The o rings fail and you cant buy just the o rings you have to buy a Kit that cost 5 dollars less than the jugs with the spout!