Rzr 1000 turbo or non turbo

Tim2115

Hello, 

My wife and I have always rode quads but since we have a 14 month old now...we were thinking about getting a rzr 4 seater.  This way we can still go on trips by our self if no one else is available.  We are set on getting one but now the question remains - is it worth spending the additional money for the turbo model?   Currently we mostly go to Pismo and Dumont but with this, we will start exploring the forests as well and get back into tent camping out there.  

Any of you who have experience in either of these or both, what do you think?  After reading forums, a lot of people say if you are riding in the dunes, you need the turbo.  Will the non turbo still work in the dunes or is the turbo a must?  Any feedback you guys have will be great.  Also, we haven't decided yet if we will be purchasing new or used.  

Thanks, 

Tim 

Id say if you are going to spend much time in the sand at all the turbo is worth it. That being said a turbo is certainly not a must to dune. I have a xp900 and the kids can drive it anywhere out in the dunes though they prefer the X3 RS Turbo or their quads. 

Honestly, you need to ask, and be honest with yourself about what you want out of whatever you buy. You can "get anywhere" in a lot of things. How fast do you want to get there, how comfy do you want the ride to be.. (suspension, travel) I drive a 15' xp1000 4 seater with a few things done to it. I am very happy with it, but I have to have the peddle on the floor all the time to dune the way I like to dune. I know myself and I wouldn't be happy with a 900. Would I enjoy a turbo more? Probably..I like to go fast. 

Know what you want out of your new toy, and buy the most you can afford. But no, you don't NEED a turbo at all.

• 2 months later...

I have a RZR XP1000 and I run 30x14" paddles at the dunes. It goes fast enough to give anyone a thrill, but if the turbo had been out when I bought mine, I would have a Turbo. When you're spending that kind of money (in my opinion) you might as well go all out. No sense in wishing you got the best one later.