Long travel two seater

Benny Goss

Looking to get my first sand rail (long travel two seater)....I’ve ridden quads all my life and don’t know sh*t about rails. So any help would be greatly appreciated! Whats the most reliable tranny n engine?? What to look for when buying??  I’ve seen one that I like called a Tech3. Input on those would be awesome!  Budget around $20-25k. Thanks guys! 

Benny, congratulations on taking that step. Cars are truly fun! The Admin for this site has a Tech 3 with a turbo's Honda and I believe a Mendiola @d Trans. His car is smooth, fast and reliable. I had a 2 seat Alumicraft which started out with a Northstar twin turbo motor and the Mendi 4S trans, After a lot of headaches and money I junked the caddy motor and went to a twin turbo'd LS1 and the same trans.I would never recommend the caddy motor unless you are a mechanic and know about these engines.

As for chassis, there is a difference between the makers as to what kind of steel tubing they use, some go with mild steel and others go with chrome-moly. It depends on basically money and how much you have to put up. I always felt safe in my Alumicraft with the chrome=moly but I have no doubt that Pete feels just as safe in his Tech 3 which does use mild steel.

It depends on how you drive it, which he pushes his as hard as any of them if not more. So I guess what I can tell you is buy the most car you can afford and always match the engine to the tranny, in my opinion, if you're

going V8 power than you really want an S-4 trans and if you're going Honda or a V-6 or 4 then you can use the 2S trans.

I would always suggest that you get a car with front brakes and make sure that the seat harnesses are not expired and are in great shape. Your ass is held in by them and you don't want to scrimp on safety! I also recommend that you obtain a set of arm restraints for your passenger and your outside arms. I have been out of sandcars for a couple of years so I am sure others will chime in with the other information you need. You hit a good time to ask as they are at Dumont for the Annual buggy run, so when everybody gets home you should get more info.

Good luck.

Everything ynot said is spot on. I love my Tech 3! You can't go wrong with one. When they pop up for sale they don't last very long so be ready. They usually are priced in your price range, sometimes even cheaper. The Honda 3.5 or 3.2 is the motor you want. VERY reliable and makes plenty of power even without a turbo, but a turbo is way more fun. Good luck! 

P1130281 (Large).JPG