Welcome to DDR!

We are your Dumont Dunes community & information source!

New here? Join the community! (You must sign in to post.)

Returning users: Sign In with your display name or email address.

Troubles signing in? Please contact us. Forgot your password? Reset it here.

Sign In

• Benco-728-90.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
dunefreak

Will quads be phased out by side x sides?

I've been observing the dunes the last few seasons and it seems ATVs are almost obsolete out there. It seems everyone has sold off their YFZs, Raptors, and Banshees for side x sides or buggies. There's nothing wrong with that, but I wonder if anyone rides anymore? Dirtbikes seem to be much more popular than ever before but side x sides are pretty much the most common machine at Dumont now. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

Thanksgiving 2013 looked a bit different than now. 

IMG_4495 (Medium).jpg

Thanksgiving 2017

dumontduneriders_23967127_131081524209091_6255641199726559232_n.jpg

My daughter still rides a ltr450 and my son rides a YFZR, I love the quads after a wind blows through but they are kinda like a sea doos, only fun when its smooth out. All of the rails / side by sides making deep tracks make for a rough ride, even at 3- 4psi. 

I miss that. I only got rid of my Raptor a few years ago because it was getting old and had a million hours on it. Would love to get a new one, but I have too much crap already. 

My kids love their Quads, that is the market for Quads....Young (or Younger then us) People.

Of course the new higher $$$ for anything "Performance" based are just crazy!

Same as above. I fought selling my quad for a season after getting into sxs's, but I just found myself riding it less and less. It wasn't because I didn't like it anymore, but the damn thing just beat me up. Once the rails and sxs's had 24hrs to tear up the sand, it just made the quad ride to brutal. My 6 yr old rides a suzuki 90, and i'll keep her on quads and bikes til shes much older. She won't be spoiled with a steering wheel. I think there will always be a spot for quads in the youth scene.

Gotta say though, I do miss drag racing and hucking the 450r.

• Like 1

We've sold off our quads just recently like most others have mentioned. I'm trying to sell the low-travel sandrail now to upgrade to a side-by-side. When they first came out I was unimpressed, but now they've developed into something nice.

We'll get more year round riding in with the side-by-side. Sand, desert and trail riding will be a viable option for us.

I sold mine, cause, let's face it... I got old. I miss the feeling of sliding through the sand on my Honda. Doctor said no more... I still have to wear a neck brace in the Maverick. It's only a matter of time before I will have no choice but to get the neck surgery... 

On 8/23/2018 at 9:25 PM, sand chick said:

I sold mine, cause, let's face it... I got old. I miss the feeling of sliding through the sand on my Honda. Doctor said no more... I still have to wear a neck brace in the Maverick. It's only a matter of time before I will have no choice but to get the neck surgery... 

Go see Dr Dunn @ Desert Ortho

https://www.doclv.com/doctors/thomas-dunn-md he did my neck and it is way better.. going to see him in December or Jan to get my back surgery.. He is an awesome Dr. Awesome surgeon. a few months and you will be great!!

• Like 1