Thanksgiving Weekend Report

HappyHour

So lay it on us...............how was it?? Crowded?? Weather?? What did you observe during the weekend?? How many crazies at Comp Hill??? All the good stuff.......... :dance: :laughoff::DDRrocks: :fro: :laughoff::headbang1::laughoff::laughoff::rockon: :whip_em: :slap::woo_hoo::laughing::grin::DDRrocks:

Edited by HappyHour

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We arrived at the Dumont Tuesday 11 PM.

The road in was brutally bad.

Everyone seemed to start arriving Friday and it got pretty packed.

First time I've seen big groups on the flats to the little dunes (AKA the suns anvil ).

Heavy winds before dawn Wednesday left the dunes clean and ready for a nice riding day.

3812Alis_toy_002-med.jpg

It's been one year Duning with the new wife so I bought her a new KFX 700 pictured above just minutes before we left.

Some big performance improvements for '07 on an already good performing quad.

The wife loves it. It's what she asked for, but didn't care about color.. Brutally powerfull.

The new '07 stock exhaust sounds Harley/Corvette like.

I asked several girls at Berts what color they would chose of all the floor models and they all said get her the Black Marble Metalflake.

Ron Seidner, owner of Berts stopped by our camp for a spell.

Didn't seem as crowded as Thanksgivings past, but far more camp racers. Used to be strictly enforced, no more.

At 2:00 pm Sat afternoon very bad accident near the top of Comp hill.

From the base looked like two buggies hit, but that's just speculation hard to tell with all the assisting parked, duners about.

Bought son a new Suzuki 90 and it's a real dune performer with Scat Trax Glider paddles.

Does 45 mph outta the box.

3812Alis_toy_009-med.jpg

3812Alis_toy_032-med.jpg

Letter to Santa for North Pole Trip

3812Alis_toy_030-med.jpg

Maynard at Competition Hill on his Zuki 90.

3812Alis_toy_029-med.jpg

After a fun days ride on the dunes.

No more Holidays, we'll be camping at a less crowded dunes next Holidays.

Edited by Ross and Alice

We had a great time. Seemed like most TG weekends, pretty crowed to me. Dunes were in decent shape as long as you go with the flow. I almost got stopped in tacopa but thankfully I was going slow enough. The road friday was in great shape I thought.

The throttle on my banshee is sticking.....anyone got an idea on that?

We had a great time. Seemed like most TG weekends, pretty crowed to me. Dunes were in decent shape as long as you go with the flow. I almost got stopped in tacopa but thankfully I was going slow enough. The road friday was in great shape I thought.

The throttle on my banshee is sticking.....anyone got an idea on that?

Yeah, their's a gadget that you attach to the cable and it allows you to flush the cable with wd 40.

All kinds of crud comes out.

My Banshee riding friends do it all the time with this particular device,, and it would probably be the way to go with any quad.

Rocky Mountain or Berts may sell the gadget.

Saw it advertised the other day, I'll post it if I can remember where.

Edited by Ross and Alice

Here's a pan of banshee hill yesterday. Don't let the picture fool ya, in about 30 minutes about triple the people show up. Banshee hill was very popular that night.

We saw....2... that's TWO people drag race up some of the steeper comp hills at night, they just kept going at the top... right over the edge!!!!!!!

I was sitting around the fire watching one of the frontside hills, I call it bolt on hill because the guys with no mods like to race there. It was about 8 or 9 at night, I am watching a group of 4 go up, 3 stop before the top, the 4th goes right over into the pitch blackness.. I jumped on my bike and raced over, I just knew he would be hurt bad... His was ok, but the tires on his bike were pointing in different directions...LOL It was so freaky to see him launch off into black space.... it's pitch black on the dark side of these hills.

Then an hour later at the main comp hill, a drunk lady on a single seat sand rail did the same friggen thing!!! She launched off the main comp hill!!! It looked like she did a forward flip, everyone was thinking of that rail crash at halloween which was probably just like that... about 30 of us start shooting up the hill including the womans husband, he was crying the whole time, he just knew she was dead.

She flattened her rear tire but was otherwise ok, she acted like it was no big deal, but her husband in tears and the 30 or so people around her didn't agree...

Crazy!

big pic.

http://www.angelfire.com/al/metalalien/pic..._hill_11_06.JPG

Edited by metalalien

Hi All~

FRIDAY NIGHT ABOUT 9:30 THERE WERE 2 BUGGIES RACING UP COMP HILL....THEY NEVER STOPPED AND BOTH FLEW OVER.

When we left back to camp we seen about 8 vehicles (paramedics, sherriff, ambulance, etc..)

Someone or They were air lifted out.....

Our friends got vidoe of them racing to the top going over, and then got video of the results ...I took a drive over to see what happen.....

Anyone know if he/she/they are OK?

Hi All~

FRIDAY NIGHT ABOUT 9:30 THERE WERE 2 BUGGIES RACING UP COMP HILL....THEY NEVER STOPPED AND BOTH FLEW OVER.

When we left back to camp we seen about 8 vehicles (paramedics, sherriff, ambulance, etc..)

Our friends got vidoe of them racing to the top going over, and then got video of the results ...I took a drive over to see what happen.....

I was only there for saturday. You know on bolt on hill (frontside facing the camps) if you watched the drags we couldn't believe how close the bikes were getting to the top before turning or slowig down... so many close calls... then someone parked on top with their lights on and suddenly everyone is turning and slowing down 20 or 30 feet from the top... I guess they just didn't realise how close they were until someone parked up there....

Despite all the close calls, we had a lot of fun... there were SO many fast bikes at banshee hill. I normally do pretty good in the races but man yesterday I felt like a bolt on. :)

Hi All~

Are you talking about the Red car and the Yelolow car??? My friend Mike was the driver of the Red car.. Brian was the passenger.. Both rails misjudged the top and flew right over as we were all watching. He never lifted.. Brian was life flighted out.. He is FINE.... whiplash, many bruses, possible concusion, brused thigh.. Mike had minor injuries. The cars cage held up without a failure.. The suspension is all torn off.. The people in the yellow car are fine also.. The female passenger got pretty beat up but they walked away.. The yellow car only flew about half the distance the Red one did.. Mike and Brian did 4 complete end over end..

Thank you to the off duty fireman that helped us out.. He held brians head as we thought he had a head injury..

I was the guy in the Grey LT parked right behind them using my lights.. Very scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we actually never went on another ride.. and came home early.

Edited by NOSJunkie

Hi All~

Can you send me a copy of the video?? or post it.. Please..

Well we can't let a few mishaps ruin the Dumont experinece. I enjoyed the cool temps and like always the circus is all part of the show. A big dune trip is something everyone shoud try at least once.

Lots of good races.

Oh of course.

We'll be watching it from behind a 4x4 windshield from now on.

Wouldn't miss it for anything.

I made it out there sat for a day trip. Had one of the best rides thru the dunes I had ever been on. Before I left home I thought to myself should I go ahead and throw on the new drive belt I had hanging in my garage :think: but of course I didn't :dunno::slap: On my second ride as I left camp the old drive belt went.

My buddy jerry towed me back to camp and we loaded up and thought well at least we will stay around until Pot luck and then roll back to vegas. Well........ being the graceful :fatdance: Ballerina that I am, I somehow got hung up on jerrys trailer I caught my shorts on something and was kinda just hanging in mid air flailing around and POP I could hear my hamstring go :ahhhhh: :cripple: unbelievable pain!!! I didn't hardly cry at all!! I sorta went into shock for about 5 min, (Just enough time for Jerry to get everything loaded and secured) I Iced my leg, said goodbye to anyone that was near and hauled a$$ back home. I put the new drive belt on first before I went and sat in the spa. This morning leg only hurts a little, quad is washed and ready to ride again. We might even go for a ride later today out west of the 215 and far hills drive!!!! It was nice seeing everyone at least for a few minutes. It was a great trip well worth the Pain!!!!

post-416-1164574061.jpg

post-416-1164574122.jpg

Well it doesnt specify Dumont or Glamis Thanksgiving report so WTF aye.

Showed up bright and early friday mornign with breakfast burritos in hand. Ate breakfast and went on a 3 hour ride. WAS awesome. Lots of people though. Came back went to the bar in the dunes (well desert but right next to the dunes and you can ride to it :D ) had a few beers and some chili cheese fries.. Then rolled out to the Dune Saloon. Its just one of those spots you find where you cant sit back relax watch the idiots and drink ALOT. :D On the way back to camp from dune saloon the camp 400ex threw a chain so it was fun yankin them outta the dunes. After we got back to camp (DARK by now) i parked the bike grabbed my gear and headed into town to wash up and relax.

Picked up a new chain and a few spark plugs ( seems fouled sparkplugs was a thing of the weekend ) and headed back to glamis. ( glad my folks only live 30 min away :D ). Once we get back get geared up and ready for the first ride i pull my bike off the stand to find OIL on my stand. I have sprung a mysterious oil leak somewhere? Cant see where its coming from only spot that we could see is the water pump weep hole which would be fairly ODD! So i topped it off with oil threw the rest of the quart in my backpack and said FUGG it.. If it blows up lets hope it does at olds or someplace easily accessible by a pickup.

When we rode out to olds it was the typical zoo so we skirted the outside of that mess and settled over by the olds double to watch some fat guys do some pretty bad a$$ tricks. :D After that we rode even more. Needless to say im tired sore and had a great weekend over all.. I managed to burn 5 gallons of race gas in 2 days in just my bike alone so i felt i did good :D

I will post pictures later as Mrs. ISBB has my camera with her and she's still in cali.

another accident at comp, saturday a buggy hit a child on a quad, from what we heard the kid died! he was just sittin there and a buggy coming down comp jumped off the take off lip and hit him... does anyone know any more about this???

We arrived monday afternoon and left today about 10am, weather for the most part good, started cooling down later in the week. Rides were good we ended up with 11 rv's in our group, saw some camps with 20+ still alot of open space. Its crazy in the dunes from friday afternoon on, lots of large groups trailing really had to watch out. Friday night at comp was crazy one of our group made a pass up the hill and we were watching when she suddenly made hard right turn, thought something broke. Turned out a quad was stopped on the hill with thier lights out, that could have been a mess. Didn't hear about anybody getting hurt, saw rhino roll over in alow are, when our group got there to help the wife was yelling at the husband 'told you it would roll over' lucky no injuries there.

another accident at comp, saturday a buggy hit a child on a quad, from what we heard the kid died! he was just sittin there and a buggy coming down comp jumped off the take off lip and hit him... does anyone know any more about this???

Please say that didn't hapen. This was my first time at Dumont, and I perched on that lip in prep to run my raptor when a buggy flew airborn right next to me. I wad completely caught off guard and decided to watch from farther away. I got behind some buggies that where 3 rows back and I watched them take off and launch, getting a head of steam up to go off that lip and then spank that hill. I can sure see how something like that could happen, but that wouldn't be an accident. That would be vehicular manslaughter. There has not been any chatter about that. in camp or on the dunes. I love seeing the rails compete and do there ballet on the side of the hill, wheeling across the face, but it looked awfully dangerous with the mix of young children (like my grandsons racing their 450's up the hill) . Many rails looked like that had competent and conscirmnce drivers. And some I woulsd say shouldn't have been driving at all.. Just a thought, couldn't a set time be made available for sand rails and a set time for quads and bikes? I'm sure the buggy drivers would like to have the hill to themselves for some good runs, without worrying about a child getting in front of them. Just seems comp hill needs a diffferent approuch than sharing the rest of the dunes for bowling and jumps. :cripple: