Sammi or Tracker Duner

rushjunkie

Alright dudes, im considering a Sammi/Tracker instead of a Rhino. only problem is, i only have 11'4" to spare in the trailer. ive looked around online and the sammi seems to be just over 11' long and the tracker about 11'6" long. is this about right? does that include the spare hanging out the back? i think id like a tracker this time (ive already had a sammi i should have never sold :beer_bang: ) but if only the sammi fits, i wouldnt mind it at all.

lets see some pics. i know some of you have these things.

also, how do they dune? i dont need it to keep up with lt rails, as i need it to cruise around with my daughter.

They dune awesome... they are about 12' long depending on how much you have hanging off the front/back.. I think mine is a bit longer due to the big a$$ winch bumper in the front and the spare tire rack and stuff in the back... But i cant wait to take it out again.. I had a blast when i was out for the cleanup.. Hell made it to comp, north pole, south pole and just about wherever i wanted to go with only 1 wheel drive in the front :P Dont ask long story.. i didnt have a rear drive shaft adn my front locker wasnt working so ya..

Alright dudes, im considering a Sammi/Tracker instead of a Rhino. only problem is, i only have 11'4" to spare in the trailer. ive looked around online and the sammi seems to be just over 11' long and the tracker about 11'6" long. is this about right? does that include the spare hanging out the back? i think id like a tracker this time (ive already had a sammi i should have never sold :laughoff: ) but if only the sammi fits, i wouldnt mind it at all.

lets see some pics. i know some of you have these things.

also, how do they dune? i dont need it to keep up with lt rails, as i need it to cruise around with my daughter.

sounds like a good idea to me :laughoff:

i never liked them narrow, grossly underpowered and top-heavy Rhinos.... :laughoff:

i have seen/talked to a guy with a Tracker at buttercup some years back: he had a set of round shouldered high performance tires on it ( floated excellent :lol: ) ....was fun to watch him dune that little car :D

street legal, decent power, low center of gravity, good floating tires and (best of all) a lot cheaper then a Rhino :laughoff:

Edited by spooner

will an automatic do as well as a 5-speed out there?

in the dune buggies i would never ever use anything else then a automatic based trans

a automatic (planetary gear) trans shifts virtually "seamless"; it changes ratio by holding or releasing ring gears to change ratio. there is always thrust on the tires, even during a shift in ratio. on a manual trans you have to interrupt the "transfer of power" to physically change the gears.

add to that the high rolling resistance of sand and you actually loose a lot of momentum during a manual shift.

i personally would go auto (with a very large cooler on it).... ;)

Edited by spooner

It doesnt have the power for an auto....stay with the stick.

with the auto you are always going to be in first gear.

I dune in 2-3 in 4 low unless its a fast run and i will hit 4th in 4 low.

I have lead a dune ride when the dunes are smooth about 40-45 mph. :laughing:

just pick a smooth line and dont hit the brakes alot. :rolleyes:

OGP and Joeduner have followed me in the dunes and know how fast it can dune.

My sammi is dead on 12 ft long, but it has atleast 18 inches sticking out the back. I made the rear hold stuff and a cooler. Without it it would be under 11 ft, without bumpers or teh oem spare.

I run 4 paddles, a spool in the rear, a header and exhuast, and a filter poking through the hood. Other then that its all STOCK. Even the transfer case mounts are stock still. It will go anywhere. It stays in 4 lo all the time except out on the flats, racing rhinos and rangers, which is funny cause itll do 65 pretty easy in hi. I ve duned it everywhere, up comp, up banshee, to the peaks, everywhere. Total investment is under 2000.

post-634-1209160646_thumb.jpg

in the future, Ill put in an ls1 and a glide....already measured it up and have a few ls'1's ....