2006 Rhino 660 Troubleshoot

GGZOBZ

Took the Rhino out for its first hard run Halloween weekend since the engine mods were installed (see my signature below). I've had it out a few times for break in and such, but this was the first real run in the dunes.

Here is the problem:

When I would get on the gas on an incline (up inthe dunes) the carb starves for fuel, bogs and dies. It bugged the crap out of me. Doesnt happen in the flats or in the small dunes. I changed the fuel filter out (which was very badly needed) and it helped a little, but not nearly enough. I never had this problem when I was just running pipes, CDI and a drop in K&N.

I am thinking that I need a high flow fuel pump to keep up with the new high performance carb, big bore, full larger air intake and clutch mods. :boxer:

Anyone else had similar problems with these or similar mods? The funny thing is that I asked the guy who did the mods (Tantrum Motorsports in Lake Havasu) if he thought I would need one and he said no, he thought it would be fine. Funny for a $65 part, he wouldnt play it safe and install, especially if I asked for it. Giving him the chance to bill me for install, etc. :MBdance:

I am going to do it anyway, just to be safe, but I would like other input in case its something else that I need to fix before Thanksgiving. :beercheers:

THX ! !

Took the Rhino out for its first hard run Halloween weekend since the engine mods were installed (see my signature below). I've had it out a few times for break in and such, but this was the first real run in the dunes.

Here is the problem:

When I would get on the gas on an incline (up inthe dunes) the carb starves for fuel, bogs and dies. It bugged the crap out of me. Doesnt happen in the flats or in the small dunes. I changed the fuel filter out (which was very badly needed) and it helped a little, but not nearly enough. I never had this problem when I was just running pipes, CDI and a drop in K&N.

I am thinking that I need a high flow fuel pump to keep up with the new high performance carb, big bore, full larger air intake and clutch mods. :boxer:

Anyone else had similar problems with these or similar mods? The funny thing is that I asked the guy who did the mods (Tantrum Motorsports in Lake Havasu) if he thought I would need one and he said no, he thought it would be fine. Funny for a $65 part, he wouldnt play it safe and install, especially if I asked for it. Giving him the chance to bill me for install, etc. :MBdance:

I am going to do it anyway, just to be safe, but I would like other input in case its something else that I need to fix before Thanksgiving. :beercheers:

THX ! !

The stock fuel pump is capable of putting out enough fuel for your mods. It is possible that your jetted to rich, and why it does not do it on the flats is because you have more engine RPM to handle the fuel.

Usually when the filter or pump is the problem, it will happen on the flats and it will force you to run part throttle for a bit refilling the bowl, then you can open it up and when the bowl dumps again the same problem reoccurs.

I ran the stock pump with a 686 dual carb setup and NOS and it kept up fine. When mine was going out it did it both on the flats and the hills. I'm running electric now but it gets noisy and I don't trust it. I may go back to a high flow vacuum pump.

I read somehwere that If one of the vent lines is instelled upside down or has a tiny crack in it, It will appear to have fuel starving problems under load. Im sure you can find what im talking about on a rhino forum. Supposedly the grey or black vent line on top of the fuel tank.