finally upgrading my Busa charging system

dunefreak

Last trip my car had some charging issues. The red charge (or lack there of) light kept soming on during a dune ride in the middle of the day. :woo_hoo: I was only running the fan (no lights), so I knew there was an issue. When I got back to camp I noticed the wiring from the rectifier was boiling hot. I think the rectifier finally took a crap after being overloaded multiple times. :no_no:

So I pulled out the rectifier, stator, and split the harness and fond some melted connectors. I'm sending the stator out to Rick's Motorsport Electrics to be rebuilt into their high output upgrade. They have a upgraded rectifier I'm getting and they hould be able to get me the connectors I need.

post-3-1227063932_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like I'll have it all done in time for T-Day, but oh well. I'm kinda lookin forward to riding more this trip anyways. :woo_hoo:

So I'll keep this updated since this is something I have been wanting to do for a while now but haven't heard much feedback from other's experience w/ this company. They seem like they know wtf they are doing though. Finally...more charging for lights, fans, etc. :MBdance::yiah::grin:

I had the same problem on my DS650. I installed a upgraded rectifier. I was on a night ride in the dunes and my bike just lost all power even killing the motor. It took us about two hours to tow that heavy sucker back. The rectifier was boiling hot also, I didn't burn any wires but it melted my battery pretty good. needless to say that shot my weekend. :beercheers:

I Installed the stock rectifier back on the bike and installed an Oddesy Battery. Everything is good now.

When you get that upgraded on ur rectifier on your first few rides check that sucker.... But with the up graded stator it should be good. Now u can hook up HID's all over that sucker :beercheers:

post-2594-1227295153_thumb.jpg

They say it's usually about a week turn around time. :angry2:

Besides they are in NH and it hasn't even gotten there yet.

Scheduled delivery date per tracking #: Nov 21st :beercheers:

I'm not too worried about it. I just want to get it done right.

Gee, to bad you didn't think to let someone overnight it for you for next to nothing...... :beercheers:

Gee, to bad you didn't think to let someone overnight it for you for next to nothing...... :beercheers:

Oh yeah huh. :angry2: I didn't even think of that. :bawl:

No biggie though. I know sometime during the weekend of T-day I'll be jonzen for the rail, but I really am looking forward to burning through some gas on the 2 wheeler and qWad. :beercheers:

Tracking was right on. Rick's called me today to let me know they receievd everything. They will have it done next week and I should probably have it by early the following week sometime due to the holiday. In addidtion to the upgraded HD rec and stator, they are hooking up a whole new custom harness for the recitfier to stator with all new connectors. I should be all dialed in then! :yiah:

Pete just curious why short sand cars does not upgrade these when building them? I am not trying to talk bad about them but seems they should just up the price of the cars a little to put it in from the start. Just curious if you knew why they don't already do it.

Pete just curious why short sand cars does not upgrade these when building them? I am not trying to talk bad about them but seems they should just up the price of the cars a little to put it in from the start. Just curious if you knew why they don't already do it.

They don't build many cars with lots of lights and accesories unless specifically requested. One time they did build a custom alternator setup for a customer's car where it ran off the front sprocket and charged while the car was moving. A stock stator will supply plenty of juice for a small set of lights, but I added another set plus 2 fans instead of one to cool the larger radiator in this car so I would like more. I think I overloaded mine a couple times and that abuse is what took out the rectifier.

Besides when they built my car they used the motor that I supplied to them so they didn't ask if I wanted anything special done to it.

If he dont know why maybe it will be a good suggestion???

There's alot of things I think they should do to their base models, but I guess most people don't drive like I do so their base design is good enough for them I suppose. :headbang1:

Did you get it back yet? I heard everyone that has got the stock charging system upgraded has had major problems, which kinda sucks cause I was wanting to start doing that instead of the full alternator kit i've been running.....

Did you get it back yet? I heard everyone that has got the stock charging system upgraded has had major problems, which kinda sucks cause I was wanting to start doing that instead of the full alternator kit i've been running.....

I should see it probably monday or tuesday.

I'll let you know how it turns out. What kind of problems have people had?

I was talking to another busa manufacturer who stuck 10 of them on his rails and every one of them took a sh*t. I was rather disappointed cause it was gonna save me almost $800 going that route instead of the alternator setup.

I forgot exactly what he said happened to them, just that they "malfunctioned"....

I was talking to another busa manufacturer who stuck 10 of them on his rails and every one of them took a sh*t. I was rather disappointed cause it was gonna save me almost $800 going that route instead of the alternator setup.

I forgot exactly what he said happened to them, just that they "malfunctioned"....

Hmm Brian King told me he has Rick's build his up and he puts them in every one of his cars that have lots of lights and has had no problems. Is your guy using the same place as I'm talking about back east?

Hmm Brian King told me he has Rick's build his up and he puts them in every one of his cars that have lots of lights and has had no problems. Is your guy using the same place as I'm talking about back east?

Brian King is the builder I am talking about, I just talked to him last week. Might wanna call him again and see what he says. I was calling to order some from him and he said he was not real happy with the guy that did them........

King told me about them at the SSSS and was stoked about them at the time. I called King last week to order some from him and he said not to waste my time, they all failed. Unless he found someone else in the last 8 days since we spoke on the phone, he is not using them anymore.....

Brian King is the builder I am talking about, I just talked to him last week. Might wanna call him again and see what he says. I was calling to order some from him and he said he was not real happy with the guy that did them........

King told me about them at the SSSS and was stoked about them at the time. I called King last week to order some from him and he said not to waste my time, they all failed. Unless he found someone else in the last 8 days since we spoke on the phone, he is not using them anymore.....

Was he using Rick's Electric Motorsports back east?

Finally got my stuff today! It was like an early Christmas present to myself. :finger:

About 300 bucks later I've got a new high output stator, HD rectifier and new custom harness with all new connectors! :offtopic:

post-3-1228793701_thumb.jpg

I got it all on the car tonight and everything worked great. I turned every single load device on at idle like the fans and all the lights. The red charge light only came on for a second, then went off and the new stator was able to handle it at idle. :lol: Nice :D

I'll see how it holds up next trip out. I'm stoked. :dope:

post-3-1228793785_thumb.jpg

post-3-1228793814_thumb.jpg

I should have repainted the cover but oh well eh. :laughoff:

post-3-1228793846_thumb.jpg

Now I just gotta clean this mess up a :dunno: and wash this badboy. It's filthy from poker run weekend. :grin:

post-3-1228794006_thumb.jpg