Busa sandcar question

Tripleshot

Pete, I have a silly question. I am considering a busa in my future. I have friends with ls1's and see they are not good for many dunes around my home because they need large space to open up. I am experienced with quads running dunes and I love shooting bowls . Living here in southern Utah, Coral Pink dunes is one close and a favorite for my rhino. Little Sahara's Sand Monuntain is also good, but again, both those limit an LS1 car beacuse of short runs and smaller bowls. Glamis is another story. LS1's can do 4th in some of the monsters there. Chugging walls like comp hill or banshee at Dumont goes only so far for a trip to dumont. Dumont is pretty good for an LS1 but Busa's seem to have as much fun runs as LS1's and are light enough to romp all the above dunes mentioned. Here is my question. What kind of speed do you get for hugging the bowls? I see you kept your motor when you got the nice new car you have now. Is yours turbo? What advantage would there be for turbo over stock turnkey? I would only consider a two seater. I want my wife to enjoy the fun I have always had duning, hence my SxS Rhino. Rhinos are fun, but not as fun for shooting bowls like I used to do with my raptor 700. Do you see what I'm trying to say?

Edited by Tripleshot

(I split the other topic where you posted this since it is almost a topic of it's own ;) )

Anyways, yes I know what you are trying to say Sam. :laughing:

Here it goes. Let's put it this way: Hayabusa sandcars are like a quad with a steering wheel...on steroids!

My car is extremely agile through the dunes. You can take on any of the most technical tighter and smaller dunes, but at the same time you can open it up across those long stretches and big bowls and haul azz. Depending how the car is geared (sprocket size), you usually hit speeds of 70-80 mph when you open it up running hard. That is pretty damn fast even for a fullsize car through the dunes.

Turbo? Not needed on a Hayabusa car unless you really like hillshooting. IMO, the only advantage a turbo would have is hitting the hill and drag racing. If you are a DUNER and like actually driving and hitting the dunes all day long, I don't think a turbo is really worth it or necessary. I have never had one, but I can go PLENTY fast through the dunes without one. Ask any of my buddies that I dune with. :ah: :laughoff: It seems the only way you can make use of a turbo on a Busa IN the dunes is either when you have the chance and area to really open the throttle up for while or romping out of the corners. I always wondered if the turbo would hurt the torque of a stock motor with the possibility of having a lil bit a turbo lag. Maybe not though. ?? :dumbass:

As far as places you can dune a Busa car you can have fun at just about any of those dunes you mentioned. I have duned Glamis, Dumont, Coral Pink, and Little Sahara with my busa cars over the years. The car did great at every place. Glamis was a blast other than those damn cross-ruts in the huge bowls that beat the liven chit out of lighter cars :driver: , but those dunes are awesome for running. Coral Pink is badass as well for the car. You are limited to the lines you can take there since you don't have reverse or can make those super tight turns in tight trails full of trees, but if you know the dunes well enough you can have so fun there in a car. I, personally, really like turning and negotiating different terrain and Coral is perfect for that. Your path is constantly changing there from open dunes to tighter trails with bushes and trees. The agility of the small car is awesome for that stuff. :rockwoot:

Little Sahara I didn't get much of a chance to dune with my car since it was my first trip out with it and I was hesitant to get crazy with a brand new car. That and the group I was with didn't seem to wanna get too deep into the dunes. I did get out into the dunes with my quad and they seemed like they'd be killer for the rail.

Dumont is my favorte place for driving my car. It's got the tight stuff where you can really piss off your friends with bigger V8's and slight the azz end around and dart out really fast. It takes the razors really well and the lines at D almost seemed like they are groomed for a busa. :flipoff::rockwoot:

Does that answer your questions? :dayum::assblast::rockwoot:

Thanks Pete. You did answer my questions. Someday in the future, I will get one and join up with ya. Looks like I'll miss turkey day at Dumont. Son coming down from Vernal maybe with his toys. We earmarked Coral for a day ride Saturday. Weather is going to be big factor coming up. My raptor 700 could rev to close to 70mph and that is how I want to run on those bowls, enough to hug the bowl and not drop out. There is nothing wrong with the large cars, but for the area I would ride most, the Busa short car is just what I want. I pulled a short car out of a witches eye all crumpled up at Dumont last year. The guy driving said it was his wifes car and she would be mad as hell. He had a cut on his head from the ordeal but not too serious. I can see it's limitations and the plus is it is light enough a few guys muscled it out of the witches eye to be towed down the hill and hooked up for the ride to the shop. I know the repair is less for his car than a funco or a car like my buddies LS1. But, by the same token, he had that short car where a large car would never dare to go. I think he thought he was in a quad. That is the risk I might take but I have learned by hard luck not to go full out on anything until I slow roll check it first or see others make the run first.