LT 80 problems! The 80 is fixed! Thanks Green Valley ATV 702-558-8270

K.C.

Here is the deal... bought the 2003 LT 80 early November. It started no problem ran great. once it warmed up and you shut it off it was very tough to start again. once it started it would run fine. so early in Dec I was told that compression was a little low (was right at 100 psi) so rebuild time right.. took it all apart and put in a new piston, rings, you know the top end rebuild deal.. put in new reeds also... now compression is right at 110 psi and it starts when cold runs as long as you dont shut it off.. turn it off and try to restart can not get it to fire again.. doesn't even try to start. Let it sit an hour or so starts ------ My buddy JJ has an LT 80 that runs perfect starts right up all the time. we took the carb off his and put it on mine figuring it has carb trouble still same problem no different. We also swapped fuel tanks figuring pet c*ck. same problem.. so with his tank, pet c*ck and carb same problem... We put his LT 80 back together and his fires right up and runs great... We are both stumped. any help from you guys would be much appreciated... Thanks in advance... :MBdance: :blonde: :rockwoot:

Edited by K.C.

Sounds more electrical than fuel to me, just based on what you've written. Maybe the CDI is getting heat-soaked, or something's not making a good connection?

I had an '05 Yamaha Raptor 350 that had me chasing a rough idle/stall issue for two years... through process of elimination (a very expensive process) I finally isolated the problem to the stator. What a friggin' PITA, glad I sold it.

Anyway, good luck to you, I hope you get it figured out!

The after market reeds dont work very well with these little bike...Same problem happend to my son's 03 kfx 80.. did you get the head done,or just installed a new piston and rings

just installed piston and rings.. strange thing is everything I have read in forums said that out of all the things people have done reeds were the best upgrade they did to small bikes.. hmmmm I will get factory reeds and try them. thanks for the help!!

the stock reads worked out a lot better than the boysen one's...is your compression gauge working properly..i'd would check it with another gauge to make sure it's working properly or not

check your compression cold and then check it after running the bike for about 10 min or so

the stock reads worked out a lot better than the boysen one's...is your compression gauge working properly..i'd would check it with another gauge to make sure it's working properly or not

check your compression cold and then check it after running the bike for about 10 min or so

will check the compression tester.. after bike runs compression is 110psi still.. on another forum I was reading a guy had a similar problem and said he had to much air so it blew the spark out.. any idea what that means.. said he reduced air intake to carb and problem fixed.. I am so confused. everyone I know upgrades more air in more exhaust out, more power. who knows. has anyone ever heard that before? thanks for the help.

will check the compression tester.. after bike runs compression is 110psi still.. on another forum I was reading a guy had a similar problem and said he had to much air so it blew the spark out.. any idea what that means.. said he reduced air intake to carb and problem fixed.. I am so confused. everyone I know upgrades more air in more exhaust out, more power. who knows. has anyone ever heard that before? thanks for the help.

Never heard of thet before :beercheers: I think that would be a problem for the get go, just not on a hot start problem.. Did you check the big o- ring on the carb and see if it's ok or if it's missing.. after replacing that o-ring my sons kfx 80 it started much better.This o-ring is on the outside of the carb that connects to the rubber boot

Never heard of thet before :beercheers: I think that would be a problem for the get go, just not on a hot start problem.. Did you check the big o- ring on the carb and see if it's ok or if it's missing.. after replacing that o-ring my sons kfx 80 it started much better.This o-ring is on the outside of the carb that connects to the rubber boot

O-ring there is just a hard plastic piece between carb and head.. no O-ring that i seen maybe thats the problem.. I will look sat.. thanks

the o ring wont cause a no start hot problem. it could just run lean and not idle right. wonder if the battery is a bit on the weak side and not getting a good enough spark while cranking hot. ever tried to jump it or try your buddies battery out of his 80? starter could be going bad too. we used to have one of those and the starter slowly took a crap. they wanted like 375 for a new one so i bought the 100 dollar pull start and put it on there. started first pull everytime. :D

the o ring wont cause a no start hot problem. it could just run lean and not idle right. wonder if the battery is a bit on the weak side and not getting a good enough spark while cranking hot. ever tried to jump it or try your buddies battery out of his 80? starter could be going bad too. we used to have one of those and the starter slowly took a crap. they wanted like 375 for a new one so i bought the 100 dollar pull start and put it on there. started first pull everytime. :D

hmmm pullstart?? thats the first I have heard of adding a pull start to a bike.. as far as the battery, I have tried jumping it and another battery.. so who knows.. :beercheers:

Sounds more electrical than fuel to me, just based on what you've written. Maybe the CDI is getting heat-soaked, or something's not making a good connection?

I had an '05 Yamaha Raptor 350 that had me chasing a rough idle/stall issue for two years... through process of elimination (a very expensive process) I finally isolated the problem to the stator. What a friggin' PITA, glad I sold it.

Anyway, good luck to you, I hope you get it figured out!

^^I'd have to agree. Have had same style of problem on 3 different bikes, stator, stator and yep you guessed it stator...Good luck. :beercheers:

^^I'd have to agree. Have had same style of problem on 3 different bikes, stator, stator and yep you guessed it stator...Good luck. :beercheers:

might have moisture in the stator area and when it warms up it's like steam and your source coil gets a moisture ground. I have put source, light and charging coils in the oven a little above 200*F to dry them and then coat with clear epoxy, not the fast dry- too brittle and cracks. I've made Hi output and rewound probably 50 stock lighting coils for LTs and Banshees and the epoxy makes them waterproof. Find the specs on your electrical and check the resistance/oms for a short, the insulation coating can wear off from vibration, add some moisture and heat and the cold good coil can get weak. Good luck sparky

Edited by RUn2it

hmmm pullstart?? thats the first I have heard of adding a pull start to a bike.. as far as the battery, I have tried jumping it and another battery.. so who knows.. :headbang1:

i assumed it was an LT80 quad. suzuki offers a factory pullstart which is super easy to install

• 3 months later...

well have not messed with this little quad for a bit. due to being busy working out of town. anyway hooked up the battery charger today, put new gas in it and it took about thirty seconds to fire. after it fired it ran fine for me and the kids to run up and down the street.. turned it off and same crap. wont refire. anyone want to make some side money that works on these little bikes or know a good mechanic thats not a rip off?? it is a LT 80. tired of having to mess with it.. I am in Vegas

Edited by K.C.

well have not messed with this little quad for a bit. due to being busy working out of town. anyway hooked up the battery charger today, put new gas in it and it took about thirty seconds to fire. after it fired it ran fine for me and the kids to run up and down the street.. turned it off and same crap. wont refire. anyone want to make some side money that works on these little bikes or know a good mechanic thats not a rip off?? it is a LT 80. tired of having to mess with it.. I am in Vegas

Your valves might not have been adjusted at TDC and may remain open when you shut it off. Ive never messed with a LT80, but have seen this same issue on yamaha raptor 350's and 660's.

:lol:

If you ever come down to the California High Desert: Apple Valley, Lurcerne Valley, Victorville, Hesperia, let me know, My friend dyno tunes ATV's for a living and does alot of engine work to. He is VERY reasonable.

Your valves might not have been adjusted at TDC and may remain open when you shut it off. Ive never messed with a LT80, but have seen this same issue on yamaha raptor 350's and 660's.

:lol:

If you ever come down to the California High Desert: Apple Valley, Lurcerne Valley, Victorville, Hesperia, let me know, My friend dyno tunes ATV's for a living and does alot of engine work to. He is VERY reasonable.

no valves.. its a two stroke.. not sure were them places are in California. I go to riverside every couple months..

• 3 weeks later...

Took bike down to Green Valley ATV about a week ago, Mike said he would take a look at it and tell me the problem and a price to fix it... looking on DDR found his info for being a honest, reasonable,and a stand up shop and guy.. waiting to hear back.. Thanks for all the advice..