bolt checking

dunefreak

How often do you check yours? Every trip? Every so often? After stuff breaks? :beercheers:

I recently jacked up the rear end of my car to do some maintenance. I was blown away at how loose some suspension components had become. It is crazy how things come can just come loose- even nylon lock nuts. I ended up red-thread locking all the bolts and nuts and re-tourqing everything.

I have always been pretty good about checking these things, but I am going to make it an absolute habit of doing it after every single trip now. We push our cars pretty fast through the dunes so this is definitley a must do for safety and to prevent stuff from breaking.

Great post, Great point. :mob:

I check over my car between trips pretty through.

Not always jacking it up though.

Last time I did that, I found some heims that I decided needed to be replaced as well. :headbang1:

I also check things as we're out in the sand as well.

Shaking the car and looking for slop is a great way to quickly see if something is loose.

I often look over other peeps cars for loose stuff,

Hopin' they don't get offended if I mention there is something that needs attention.

I greatly appreciate it when peeps point things out to me. :D

I think the most popular thing I see on LT cars is the jam nuts on front Heims are loose.

Also, accelerator pumps stuck-in from sand on carbureted VW cars.

The list goes on.......Keep a close eye on your toys peeps.

R-

:beercheers:

Great post, Great point. :rockwoot:

Last time I did that, I found some heims that I decided needed to be replaced as well. :idea:

Shaking the car and looking for slop is a great way to quickly see if something is loose.

Hopin' they don't get offended if I mention there is something that needs attention.

I think the most popular thing I see on LT cars is the jam nuts on front Heims are loose.

R-

:headbang1:

Randy I think that it is cool you are looking out for people and they should not get offeneded. I can imagine how pissed they would be if something broke and you said oh I saw that and thought you already knew.

Great post, Great point. :driver:

Last time I did that, I found some heims that I decided needed to be replaced as well. :thumb:

R-

Yep the north pole is like a sandcar check station for Randog. "Oh sh*t...here we go! Get the pen and paper!" :thumb:

Seriously though, I think its cool too that you check over people's stuff. ALot of people just run hard and keep going if they have no problems. I think 99% of reliability depends on constant maintenance and checking chit like this. This stuff not only saves your day, but it may save your life someday!

Good points. I heard that "RETROQING" is better then TROQING so you should be fine!!! :idea:

typo biatch :coffee::rockwoot:

Great post, Great point. :idea:

Last time I did that, I found some heims that I decided needed to be replaced as well. :coffee:

R-

I often look over friends red Honda powered cars that do insane wheelies and look for cracked frames :randog::rockwoot:

Take a sharpie, touchup paint or nail polish and put a small mark on the nut or bolt and the frame or part on critical components so you can do a quick "pre-flight" anytime, and you'll catch the problem more often and before it gets loose enough to wobble and compromise the parts. That's the only way we could keep the suspension bolts tight on the all red car in the "pic of the month car", he's a jumping addict.

I check mine after every trip.I also do a walk around and check major componets every morning while at the dunes.

Also it helps to make sure you are running the correct shoulder length for your bolts. Dont trust no one about things like that not even the builder.

For an unusual situation and a workaround for a less than optimal design, if you have a bolt or nut that just will not stay tight and you've tried big flat washers already you can use a sleeve/ spacer and a longer bolt, it's just a short metal tubular spacer you slide over the bolt before you put it on. The theory is the bolt won't stay tight due to lateral shear or oscillating movement that works the bolt loose and eventually wallows out the hole it goes through or the theads if the mating part is threaded and the farther the bolt head or nut is from the part the less movement there is. Not a common problem for 2nd gen production run but for protos or one offs that you want to salvage it works.

It is good to get in the habit to follow the torque spec of the size,type of bolt you are tightening, If you just grab a wrench andgive it all you got you could be over torqueing the bolt and causing it to pre-maturely fail!!! :laughing:

:duniemonkie: can you blam us ???? :clown:

TrickyLS-2racer, you drive the 17 Pro Lite and your dad is Jerry? I'll have to check the archives and see if I have any good pics of you and pops.

Edited by RUn2it

i keep a close eye on um all the time but they all have blue locktite and nylocks the stainless is nylock with anti seize (learned that one the hard way!)

:?: care to elaborate on that and explain what you mean a little better?. I'm confused. :laughing:

well a year ago i changed out all the suspension nuts and bolts. went to king bolt and the stainless looked so shinny i had to have um. well i didn't use anti seize as i was instructed and well of coarse they seized (3 or 4 of um) so now how the hell do i get um off??? well that was 2 breaker bars and me and a friend pulling as hard as we could until they snapped. i don't see myself spending all that $$$$$ for shinny nuts and bolts again. the ones that remain have anti seize on them as i was told to do in the begging. that help?? did the same damn thing on one of my acro hids, there hardware is stainless as well :(

i have had 5 just stop!! and only got 1 off with lots of luck and time. i use the anti seize and haven't had a prob since. i have to unbolt my lower front arms from the car to get the sides off her so they get a ton more molesting than the others. i spent a couple hundred bucks when i changed um all out and wish i never did.