05 TRX450 Build

Vegashd

I decided to do a semi build up of this 05 TRX450 I picked up a few days ago.

0211091641a.jpg

0211091641.jpg

I was able to pick this ATV up for $1600. THe motor was blown an in a million pieces. I looked everything over and the tranny was fine but the crank, and top end would have to be replaced. The cylinder was even fine just needed a hone.

I talked with a buddy who builds CRF450s for a race team who also happens to be good friends with a couple people at Dasa. SO his knowledge on what I should do was good to have.

THe quad had an Ishock front end with A arms which is not something I would purchase to put on it if I was going to do a front end but I will be leaving it for the simple fact that it is on there. It also came with an FMF Full Factory 4 Ti exhaust with Power bomb header. I am selling this as I will be replacing the exhaust. It also had some nerf bars, swingarm skid and Pro Taper bars.

I am sure there are things I am not doing the way some of you would and am always open for ideas, opinions, and things that you would not do. Im open to everything.

The first misison in order was to get the motor back up and running. This ATV will see the dunes during dune season and make some runs out to the desert quite often as well. I want to build a little more power out of this quad but not over do it. The crank is being replaced with an OEM crank and all bearings and seals in the motor will be replaced as well. THe Piston is I beileve a 12.8:1 or 12.9 I cannot remember which. The Cam will be a Web Cam I believe is what they will be putting in it as well as valves and valve springs made of TI. The Carb is junk I was told and I have an 09 CRF carb being bored out by Dasa and will be backed by a Dasa intake. The Head will have a mild port job being finished off with a Dasa full exhaust.

While the motor was already out I decided I will be powdercoating the frame black. I am going to leave the swingarm silver and when I do bumpers and new nerfs they will be black as well. I am going to powder coat the hubs a flame red and run black wheels with white plastic and do custom graphics for my buddies race team. I was originally going to leave the factory headlight but I want to ditch the handlebar controls so I will throw that away and run some billet lights.

Correct me if I am wrong but getting rid of my factory headlight on my 05 will allow me to run newer white factory plastics.

Today I decided to strip the quad down to drop the frame off at the powder coaters tomorrow morning. I am glad I did this because I found all the interesting idiotic stuff that the previous owner did not do. Considering the motor had problems due to oil issues I am not surprised of what I found.

While disassembling the quad I found many things not oiled, tightened properly, lock tighted for no reason and well just plain idiotic crap.

The front bushings on the Ishock A-arms were not greased so they were rusted. DO not ask me how in this weather we have out here. We dont get water. LOL. The front bumper was locktighted with RED lock tight. once again, why? The shock bolts were not tightened all the way and were lock tighted a few turns shy of bottoming out so the bold actually had back and forth play in it. One of the brake ferrels was cross threaded when put on causing this to need to be replaced.

IMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9197.jpg

IMG_9198.jpg

IMG_9204.jpg

IMG_9205.jpg

IMG_9207.jpg

IMG_9209.jpg

IMG_9219.jpg

I'm diggin' your impromptu workstand, but what do you do when you need a cold one? :beercheers::unsure:

J/K man, I would love to have the extra bucks to find a blown up bike to turn it into a cool little hillclimber and racer.

I worked at bicycle shop for 5 years, I can tell you some stories of people and thier complete lack of mechanical abilities.

I'm diggin' your impromptu workstand, but what do you do when you need a cold one? :ynot::DDRrocks:

J/K man, I would love to have the extra bucks to find a blown up bike to turn it into a cool little hillclimber and racer.

I worked at bicycle shop for 5 years, I can tell you some stories of people and thier complete lack of mechanical abilities.

That is what the fridge is for... LOL!!!!

Funny, I too worked at bicycle shops growing up as well. The hack welding jobs, the tires stuffed with tennis balls so they do not need tubes, it never ends.

Started looking for what wheels I wanted to run and of course the wheel I find is discontinued. Just my odds.

I found a set of front wheels exactly like I wanted for a SMOKING deal. Front black C series ITP wheels with Sand stars for $100.... YEP BRAND NEW $100. THese retailed for $300

SO before I bought them I HAD to find a set of matching rears. Being I was told they were discontinued I had to found them on someones shelf, which I did!!! :DDRrocks: Ordered them up and went over and grabbed my new fronts..... They are a little dusty in the pics but they cleaned up VERY NICE

Rear wheels should be here next Monday

IMG_9253.jpg

Edited by Vegashd

Actually started going through the engine bin that came with the quad I purchased. LOL It was a mess and in every imaginable piece.

Here are some pics I took while at Mototec today. THis guy does the best work Hands down. Not to mention he works really really close with Dasa so that helps when needing stuff.

Head dissasembled and ready to go off and be CNC ported at Dasa

IMG_9259.jpg

IMG_9261.jpg

IMG_9264.jpg

Some pics around the shop

IMG_9265.jpg

IMG_9267.jpg

IMG_9268.jpg

IMG_9269.jpg

notice the attention to detail on the 250 and 450 Dirt bikes.

IMG_9270.jpg

The culprit of the engine malfunction :thumbdown:

IMG_9273.jpg

IMG_9274.jpg

IMG_9278.jpg

Ready for reassembly once a few more parts arrive

IMG_9276.jpg

Edited by Vegashd

10am the UPS man drops off the matching rear rims to my fronts. Mounted the paddles and took a pic

IMG_9280.jpg

in a surprise call today the frame was done at powdercoat and I went to go pick it up.

Of course once picked up all other plans for the day were canceled and I decided to get this Quad rolling again.

IMG_9282.jpg

IMG_9284.jpg

IMG_9286.jpg

IMG_9289.jpg

IMG_9289.jpg

IMG_9295.jpg

IMG_9296.jpg

IMG_9298.jpg

IMG_9301.jpg

IMG_9303.jpg

IMG_9305.jpg

I have decided to stop abotu right here. Get the motor finished built and get it in the quad before mounting the plastics. I am looking to get rid of the entire headlight assembly and will have to figure out what all it involves.

Motor parts should be back Thursday from Dasa and hopefully by Saturday I can be riding......

Got my white plastic on Thursday as well as got my quad a little further before we had to stop. I thought for sure we would be done by Saturday night until we came upon a little snag. We had assembled the bottom end and slid the motor into the frame. We started to assemble the top end and of the 4 valve stem seals one was packaged wrong by honda and was not for the TRX. same part number, wrong seal. I am picking up the some this morning and she should be running by this evening. Ill get a few sound files and vids up shortly.

I did however spend all day yesterday in the dunes on a bone stock TRX450. how boring.. LOL

IMG_9309.jpg

IMG_9310.jpg

IMG_9311.jpg

IMG_9312.jpg

IMG_9315.jpg

IMG_9316.jpg

IMG_9318.jpg

IMG_9319.jpg

IMG_9321.jpg

IMG_9320.jpg

IMG_9322.jpg

IMG_9323.jpg

IMG_9325.jpg

finished the build for the most part. Have a few little odds and ends that will need to be finalized but for the most part she is ready to rip. Cannot wait to get her out to the dunes.

Heres a few final pics. I drilled new mounting holes for my hood install and like the way it turned out.

IMG_9336.jpg

IMG_9336.jpg

IMG_9336.jpg

IMG_9346.jpg

IMG_9349.jpg

IMG_9350.jpg

IMG_9351.jpg

Very clean bike, the only thing ugly on that one is the scratched thumb throttle and from brake resivoir lol

Just kidding nice bike, should be a good runner.

ya, have some biullet ones that will be going on there. They do look like crap!

Nice anchors you got there :blury: .

Looks like you guys sure got some projects going on :dance: nice job.

for all around duning you cannot beat them... durable, and long lasting.

I am putting a set of comp cut Brats on .125 rims for hill shooting. :dope:

This will save about 3 pounds per wheel. But not worrying about a thin tire in the dunes sure is nice when tooling around......