Help! The gas tank in my toy hauler cracked!

Quicksilver

The tank cracked right around where the fuel pump mounts on the top of the tank. I'm trying to find a shop that can fix it right for a decent price. Motor Mission in Las Vegas wanted $275 to do the job, which seems a little high.

Here's a couple pics of the damage:

100_1573.jpg

100_1574.jpg

This is how I have repaired tanks in the past

empty the tank really good

take out all plugs,caps,senders and pump assy

put in about 10lbs of dry ice

wait about 10 to 15 min(2 beers) and it will be safe to weld on until dry ice is gone

:banghead:

This is how I have repaired tanks in the past

empty the tank really good

take out all plugs,caps,senders and pump assy

put in about 10lbs of dry ice

wait about 10 to 15 min(2 beers) and it will be safe to weld on until dry ice is gone

:laughing:

i would take it to motor misson, they do good work and are fair. looks like a little more work than just welding around the neck.....looks rotted out

I'm sorry you feel our price is too high. I would actually have to agree with you if we were going to simply weld up the cracks. But considering we were going to thoroughly clean the tank, remove the paint in and around the repair area, weld the cracks, cut/fab a reinforcing plate, weld the reinforcing plate over the cracked area to help strengthen the cracked area as well as help reinforce the bung, and then pressure test the tank after all welding/repairs were completed to ensure there are no leaks we feel that $275 is a fair price for a good job. If you have any questions please give us a call.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Motor Mission Machine & Radiator

(702) 649-2366

www.MotorMission.com

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry you feel our price is too high. I would actually have to agree with you if we were going to simply weld up the cracks. But considering we were going to thoroughly clean the tank, remove the paint in and around the repair area, weld the cracks, cut/fab a reinforcing plate, weld the reinforcing plate over the cracked area to help strengthen the cracked area as well as help reinforce the bung, and then pressure test the tank after all welding/repairs were completed to ensure there are no leaks we feel that $275 is a fair price for a good job. If you have any questions please give us a call.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Motor Mission Machine & Radiator

(702) 649-2366

www.MotorMission.com

The three times I was up at your shop no one was on site to show me what you wanted to do to repair the tank that was worth $275. Yet I brought it back to you to repair and now you won't touch it because I said the price "seems a little high." I said nothing else nor did I badmouth your business. I'll be down to pick my tank up as I've already found another shop to repair it. Its your loss.

:dunno:

i thought there were some good replies that you got over on RV.net about this problem......especially about relocating the pump to the frame to stop the same thing from happening again in the future

:lol:

good luck

I haven't posted over at rv.net. :loser: But I will take a look over there to see what they've done on their tank.

I've got another tank set up in the toyhauler to run the genny that I put in for my trip last weekend. It worked just fine. I might do away with the fuel station altogether because we never used it.

Edited by Quicksilver

The three times I was up at your shop no one was on site to show me what you wanted to do to repair the tank that was worth $275. Yet I brought it back to you to repair and now you won't touch it because I said the price "seems a little high." I said nothing else nor did I badmouth your business. I'll be down to pick my tank up as I've already found another shop to repair it. Its your loss.

I haven't posted over at rv.net. :laughoff: But I will take a look over there to see what they've done on their tank.

I've got another tank set up in the toyhauler to run the genny that I put in for my trip last weekend. It worked just fine. I might do away with the fuel station altogether because we never used it.

just out of curiosity, who do you have doing your tank now. I would never think that someone would turn down work.... :?:

I haven't posted over at rv.net. :laughoff: But I will take a look over there to see what they've done on their tank.

then was it over at GD.com where this was posted? are you going to remove the pump from the top of the tank? that is the entire problem.....the pump should be completely seperate from the tank, like on the frame. if you dont relocate the pump, the same thing is going to happen

I got the tank back yesterday. I had Affordable Radiator do the repair on it. Superior Radiator said he could fix it too but he didn't have the welder set up in his shop yet, so he'd be sending the welding out to another shop.

then was it over at GD.com where this was posted? are you going to remove the pump from the top of the tank? that is the entire problem.....the pump should be completely seperate from the tank, like on the frame. if you dont relocate the pump, the same thing is going to happen

Yes, I did post over at GD.com. It was ISBB's idea that I should post over here. All this drama is his fault. :laughoff:

I'm going to put the fuel pump back on the tank where it was and I will be bracing it so the weight of the pump isn't all on the bung that it screws into. It was a half-assed setup to begin with and IMO that was why it broke. But I can make it right with some redneck-engineering. :D

Edited by Quicksilver

let me know cause i need to retro a fuel station on my toy hauler

• 10 years later...

Hi all,

Super old post that I am bring back from the dead but I thought it was worth it with the aging toy haulers out there that are gonna start running into problems like I just did.    

I filled up the tank for a long weekend boon-docking in the Mojave. And as soon as we got the trailer all set up the wife complained of smelling gas in the trailer.

I didn’t think much of it until I sat in the chair outside and caught a wiff.   Sure enough there was a decent leak coming from somewhere around the filler neck and no fix to be had. 

So we pulled all the bikeS to the fuel station and topped them all off and ran the genny like it was going out of style.  Finally the dripped stopped and we could start to rest easy. 

After the trip I yanked it out of the trailer which is no easy task by yourself and called the neighbor over to help me drain the remaining 7+/- gallons of gas and off to the repair shop I went.

I ended up going to Motor Mission for my repair and though I have not yet gotten it back I have been in constant contact with them and they have been very hands on and helpful with my repair!   I have great confidence that I will get a good product from them based on the awesome work they have done for me in the past (had a LT1 motor massaged by them)  I will update as soon as I get my tank back.

534D3FA8-4056-4D2C-8EDB-515516B5B110.jpeg

Edited by Vegas250rr

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I got the tank back from motor mission and they were super communicative and nice in the shop but I do feel that I got a little taken advantage of on the price for repair.   

Granted I do not know what it takes to dip a gas tank and weld on it but I have talked to more than a couple of welders now and the all agree that I was over charged.   That is to say that I could have bought a new tank for the cost they charged me to repair my filler neck and add a drain bung.

$486.00 OUCH!

Edited by Vegas250rr