BLM Barstow 2009 OHV Grant Applications

Not sure if many of you read about this yet, but there are grants that the BLM is currently applying for and they are looking for your comments.

It looks like there are 2 grants that pertain directly to Dumont Dunes, but please take a look at each grant and send (e-mail) whatever comments you may have to:

Bradley_Mastin@ca.blm.gov

AND

OHVinfo@parks.ca.gov

Here are all the grants that are on the list for the BLM - Barstow Field Office along with PDF files that you can view and read for the grants.

1. El Mirage Lake Road Development http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...01&fyr=2008

2. El Mirage OHV Ground Operations http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...17&fyr=2008

3. Dumont Dunes OHV Ground Operations http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...03&fyr=2008

4. Barstow OHV Ground Operations http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...38&fyr=2008

5. Law Enforcement Barstow http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...12&fyr=2008

6. El Mirage Twin Hills Planning http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...42&fyr=2008

7. Rattlesnake Protective Barrier Restoration http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...17&fyr=2008

8. Afton Canyon Restoration http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...40&fyr=2008

9. Juniper Flats Restoration http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...41&fyr=2008

10. Dumont Protective Barrier Restoration http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...16&fyr=2008

11. Barstow OHV Safety & Education http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...15&fyr=2008

Dumont Protective Barrier Restoration

This one is for a fence around Dumont. :banghead:

Over cleanup weekend, I spoke directly with Brad Mastin and the "Dumont Protective Barrier Restoration" sounds good at first. But be careful. That grant is to pay for a FENCE ALL AROUND DUMONT. We do NOT want this. It would have to be approved first, but we'd rather them not have the funding for the go ahead for that. Read the whole thing here. http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...16&fyr=2008

In my opinion, if a fence were constructed all around Dumont it would be that much easier for anti-access groups to close the place off.

Dumont Dunes OHV Ground Operations

As for the other one, Dumont Dunes OHV Ground Operations, that sounds like something I'd vouch for. :blury:

It is to pay for maintenance items at Dumont such as "Agency Maintenance Workers and Park Rangers work to clean restrooms and maintain facilities such as roads, signs, kiosks, fences and vehicle barriers." It's also for road maintenance and much more. Read the PDF file. ;)

http://134.186.25.134/designer/viewPDF.asp...03&fyr=2008

So please send over any comments you have to those 2 e-mails addresses on this grants. Tell them what you think and possibly make a difference at Dumont!

thanks for posting this up freak....i couldnt believe ANYONE would think fencing in dumont would be a good idea

it is obvious input from the duning public is much-needed, otherwise, these grant writers have NO CLUE what is really needed

STEP YOUR GAME UP PEOPLE and send in your comments regarding the fencing NOW

thanks for posting this up freak....i couldnt believe ANYONE would think fencing in dumont would be a good idea

it is obvious input from the duning public is much-needed, otherwise, these grant writers have NO CLUE what is really needed

STEP YOUR GAME UP PEOPLE and send in your comments regarding the fencing NOW

I don't know how many of you have been to the T and T railroad tressle and seen the damage done to the area that is closed to riding that is east of the trestle. People ride there all the time and I wonder if that isn't the reason for some barriers. Can't that cause visible damage for the tree huggers to use against us???

I travel all over the area, especially in my Rhino, and see people going into areas that are closed every time I'm out riding and exploring. Amunition for use against us. If all you do is stay in the sand area you haven't seen the trails in the closed areas. "FENCE" is a bad word and it may give them carte blanche to do more to restrict us but I have some questions as to the bad or good of some barriers.

No I am not a TREE HUGGER!!!!! Furtherest from that as possible, but don't jump to conclusions until we have all of the information! Where will it be? Along the tresstle, south of the south pole where it is closed?????? I want more specific information fefore I jump on the band wagon againts the barrier!

:blah:

FYI. IN one of the requests they talk about the GREAT VOLUNTEER COORIDINATOR and the reason for the grant being her tremendous job! Is this the same person that was late getting Don and Elens site set up for the season with water, orange fencing and gas???? Is this the same person that hasn't been out once this year to see our super volunteer couple??? ( as of Prez day!) ETC. ETC. ETC. Is this the same person that is described as keeping the volunteers in the DARK all year and couldn't even get them a radio from BLM??????????????

Breauocrats, they are a prize. They blow so much crap up their own arse it is sickening!!!

Protect their own arse and sit on it at the same time!!!!! Protect their jobs and those of their friends and co workers. When is the last time you saw a RANGER clean a Sh*t house?????? Give me a break!!!

Boy O Boy did they hit a sore spot with the old guy that dealt with breucrats all his working career!!!! Thank GAWD I am retired and can finally say what every one should know!!!!!!!!!! AS if you didn't already know!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::blah::lol::dayum: :dumbass: :clap::clap::idiot::grin: :rant_on: :banghead:

Edited by SANDAWG

I don't know how many of you have been to the T and T railroad tressle and seen the damage done to the area that is closed to riding that is east of the trestle. People ride there all the time and I wonder if that isn't the reason for some barriers. Can't that cause visible damage for the tree huggers to use against us???

I travel all over the area, especially in my Rhino, and see people going into areas that are closed every time I'm out riding and exploring. Amunition for use against us. If all you do is stay in the sand area you haven't seen the trails in the closed areas. "FENCE" is a bad word and it may give them carte blanche to do more to restrict us but I have some questions as to the bad or good of some barriers.

No I am not a TREE HUGGER!!!!! Furtherest from that as possible, but don't jump to conclusions until we have all of the information! Where will it be? Along the tresstle, south of the south pole where it is closed?????? I want more specific information fefore I jump on the band wagon againts the barrier!

:clap:

FYI. IN one of the requests they talk about the GREAT VOLUNTEER COORIDINATOR and the reason for the grant being her tremendous job! Is this the same person that was late getting Don and Elens site set up for the season with water, orange fencing and gas???? Is this the same person that hasn't been out once this year to see our super volunteer couple??? ( as of Prez day!) ETC. ETC. ETC. Is this the same person that is described as keeping the volunteers in the DARK all year and couldn't even get them a radio from BLM??????????????

Breauocrats, they are a prize. They blow so much crap up their own arse it is sickening!!!

Protect their own arse and sit on it at the same time!!!!! Protect their jobs and those of their friends and co workers. When is the last time you saw a RANGER clean a Sh*t house?????? Give me a break!!!

Boy O Boy did they hit a sore spot with the old guy that dealt with breucrats all his working career!!!! Thank GAWD I am retired and can finally say what every one should know!!!!!!!!!! AS if you didn't already know!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::blah::lol::dayum: :dumbass: :clap::lol::idiot::grin: :rant_on: :banghead:

Pat I am only against the fence around the entire perimeter. Fences in the critical areas was the original plan until now. Now they want to fence the whole place off according the this grant request.

Supposedly this new fence will be constructed along the legal riding boundary via GPS coords. "The final boundary alignment is identified with GPS, a level and transit." According to the grant it's not where the border is gonna be that's my problem. Closing the whole place off with a fence is rediculous in my eyes. The BLM has not even made any reasonable amount of effort to protect these areas yet other than a few small hard to see carcinite stakes which get very easily broken or damaged. In many TRT meetings we suggested metal signs and even cable and post fencing IN THESE AREAS only. Riders have no idea they are out of bounds until it's too late. You can't blame them either. There is aboslutley no signage in those areas telling them they are out of bounds.

I'm not asking or telling anyone to jump on any bandwagons. I was, more so, just informing everyone how the BLM seems to want to go overboard with a fence around the whole place and to think about that before supporting it. That could be used as a tool later on by anti-access groups. All they'd have to do is get a petition filed and close that small opening at the entrance between the fence opening.

I think the original plan should be put in place. Put up a couple stretches of cable and post IN THE CRITICAL AREAS. I'm not sure how or why, all of a sudden, that got turned into a grant for an entire perimeter fence. :lol::lol::blah:

Pat I am only against the fence around the entire perimeter. Fences in the critical areas was the original plan until now. Now they want to fence the whole place off according the this grant request.

Supposedly this new fence will be constructed along the legal riding boundary via GPS coords. "The final boundary alignment is identified with GPS, a level and transit." According to the grant it's not where the border is gonna be that's my problem. Closing the whole place off with a fence is rediculous in my eyes. The BLM has not even made any reasonable amount of effort to protect these areas yet other than a few small hard to see carcinite stakes which get very easily broken or damaged. In many TRT meetings we suggested metal signs and even cable and post fencing IN THESE AREAS only. Riders have no idea they are out of bounds until it's too late. You can't blame them either. There is aboslutley no signage in those areas telling them they are out of bounds.

I'm not asking or telling anyone to jump on any bandwagons.

I think the original plan should be put in place. Put up a couple stretches of cable and post IN THE CRITICAL AREAS. I'm not sure how or why, all of a sudden, that got turned into a grant for an entire perimeter fence. :dope::laughing::clap:

Wasn't saying you were Pete. Just cautioning people not to jumnp to conclusions if you know what I mean.

I'm with you on the cables in critical areas. I dont want to see a "Border Fence" either.

[/color]

Wasn't saying you were Pete. Just cautioning people not to jumnp to conclusions if you know what I mean.

I'm with you on the cables in critical areas. I dont want to see a "Border Fence" either.

or heres a novel idea......how about spending a saturday out there were the incursions are and write tickets....that information will slowly dissiminate into the duning public and do more than carcinite posts or cables ever could.

besides...i am of the :clap: whacked out conspiracy theory that all that damage isnt only done by off roaders, but also eco nazis that want it closed down....dont think for a minute they wouldnt resort to that kind of crap either

or heres a novel idea......how about spending a saturday out there were the incursions are and write tickets....that information will slowly dissiminate into the duning public and do more than carcinite posts or cables ever could.

besides...i am of the :dayum: whacked out conspiracy theory that all that damage isnt only done by off roaders, but also eco nazis that want it closed down....dont think for a minute they wouldnt resort to that kind of crap either

That's too easy to have patrols writing tickets. The BLM would rather spend money to buy fancy rails to rome the dunes.???????????????????? Not sure what that accomplishes. Spend more money on "out of limits" patrols and less on padding their budgets for grants that do nothing! It's cool that money is spent to put the rangers up at hotels in Pahrump so they are off property when they are most needed. Get them a camper and make them stay at the Dunes. That's where they are needed! What are the concrete pads for. Use it or lose it dollars????? :blink: :clown: :assblast: :freakin_nuts:

That's too easy to have patrols writing tickets. The BLM would rather spend money to buy fancy rails to rome the dunes.???????????????????? Not sure what that accomplishes. Spend more money on "out of limits" patrols and less on padding their budgets for grants that do nothing! It's cool that money is spent to put the rangers up at hotels in Pahrump so they are off property when they are most needed. Get them a camper and make them stay at the Dunes. That's where they are needed! What are the concrete pads for. Use it or lose it dollars????? :shake: :clown: :blink::assblast:

1) no big BLM dollars were used for any sandrails that the BLM has. One was donated by the Gesualdo family and the other (white Funco) is property of the San Bernardino County Sheriff. The last one (old azz beatdown VW)...well I can assure you no big dollars were used for that thing 10 or 20 years ago. :freakin_nuts:

2) the concrete pads were funded my a grant for Dumont maintenance and only that. So yes, it was "use it or lose it money". It seemed rediculous to me at first, but when certain funds can only be used for certain things, I guess it was smart to use it the way they did to have a better organized command center. It might make the difference of a few minutes in an emergency, so yes to me it's worth it.

On the other hand, maybe that maintenance money could have been used for critical area fencing though. Maybe not. :dayum:

i could be wrong but i dont think that the white funco car belongs to the sheriffs dept. cause it does not say sheriff on the side it says ranger so that make it a govt. vehical. besides that i believe the barstow sheriff office has their own grant app in to get on of them cars to replace the old worn out one

1) no big BLM dollars were used for any sandrails that the BLM has. One was donated by the Gesualdo family and the other (white Funco) is property of the San Bernardino County Sheriff. The last one (old azz beatdown VW)...well I can assure you no big dollars were used for that thing 10 or 20 years ago. :headbang1:

2) the concrete pads were funded my a grant for Dumont maintenance and only that. So yes, it was "use it or lose it money". It seemed rediculous to me at first, but when certain funds can only be used for certain things, I guess it was smart to use it the way they did to have a better organized command center. It might make the difference of a few minutes in an emergency, so yes to me it's worth it.

On the other hand, maybe that maintenance money could have been used for critical area fencing though. Maybe not. :headbang1:

How do folks feel about this with the new command center improvements??

It's cool that money is spent to put the rangers up at hotels in Pahrump so they are off property when they are most needed. Get them a camper and make them stay at the Dunes. That's where they are needed!

:stir: I'm gonna keep trying until I get one thing right! :headbang1:

It's cool that money is spent to put the rangers up at hotels in Pahrump so they are off property when they are most needed. Get them a camper and make them stay at the Dunes. That's where they are needed!

:stir: I'm gonna keep trying until I get one thing right! :headbang1:

I'm not even sure where you are going with that or what you are trying to say, Pat. :headbang1::headbang1: You quoted me, but then bolded part of your post and contractidicted yourself, then I just got confused. :booty: Sorry.

ok I just sent my e-mail out. It bothered me to see that DDR & FoDD were listed right on the grant application as a partner oranizations that would be participating in the project for the 9 mile fence. :?: Not sure what's up with that!? :headbang1:

Anyways, feel free to take a look at my e-mail. Maybe it will help some put one together and send in their comments.

BLM_grant_comments_email.doc

Lets get your concerns into letter and get it submitted. This is just the 1st 9 miles of fence out of a total of 20 miles. Straight from the grant application:

C. Size of Project Site

This is the first phase of a fencing project that will encompass the entire outer boundary of the dune recreation area. The

recreation area contains about 10,000 acres designated for intensive OHV recreation use. Towering piles of sand cover

most of the acreage. The first phase of fencing will cover 9 miles, out of a total of 20 miles of fence to build.

:stir: I'm gonna keep trying until I get one thing right! :mischevious:

Never mind, it's off subject anyway! :laughing:

I love it the feds want to spend money they dont have, if there going to do this might a well pave the road in and put in 10,000 full hookup sites and a 500 room hotel. That actually makes more sense than a fence around the place. Just give it a few years when it all comes crashing down and they have to cut the BLM and rangers due to the fact the country has no money and we'll get our dunes back. Cause who will be there to tell us we cant. The sand all across the country will be ours again... and at this rate it will be soon.