Towing Doubles

rushjunkie

Before I start going through the DMV website, does anybody already tow doubles in CA? Just wondering about the rules. I know I need to upgrade to a CDL w/doubles endorsement, and about staying under max length. I was wondering if there are rules about the second trailer. Could I flat tow a Jeep behind the fifth wheel? :grin: It doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to sell my 5er in this selling atmosphere and Im gonna need more room if I am to upgrade to farm equipment, jeep or rail. :whistle:

:old:

Before I start going through the DMV website, does anybody already tow doubles in CA? Just wondering about the rules. I know I need to upgrade to a CDL w/doubles endorsement, and about staying under max length. I was wondering if there are rules about the second trailer. Could I flat tow a Jeep behind the fifth wheel? :grin: It doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to sell my 5er in this selling atmosphere and Im gonna need more room if I am to upgrade to farm equipment, jeep or rail. :whistle:

:old:

One of the guys we were camped with on Cleanup Weekend had a fifthwheel and a 16' flat bed he was pullingwith a rail on it. He was from california but I don't know him very well. Not sure how long it was but it seemed to be a good length.

Before I start going through the DMV website, does anybody already tow doubles in CA? Just wondering about the rules. I know I need to upgrade to a CDL w/doubles endorsement, and about staying under max length. I was wondering if there are rules about the second trailer. Could I flat tow a Jeep behind the fifth wheel? :think: It doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to sell my 5er in this selling atmosphere and Im gonna need more room if I am to upgrade to farm equipment, jeep or rail. :driver:

:DDRrocks:

Just try and find a way to strap it to your roof and hood ! :think:

:beercheers:

I watched a guy come in next to us with a 5th wheel Weekend Warrior and he was flat towing a jeep wrangler. I think its legal if you have brakes what work on the jeep and stay under the length. I dont think he was legal though.

You need a Class "A" license with a doubles endorsement. There are different forms of the class "A" license. You need to do the regular stuff to get a class A. Test, physical, etc. The driving test is the kicker. You need to take the test with what you will be driving under the A. When you pass you will be able to drive only what you tested for. (An A for a P/U and trailer won't let you drive a big rig) Then you get a doubles endorsement which I believe is only a written test. Oh yeah, anyone that is towing a triple axle RV trailer or fiver is legally supposed to have a Class A.

There is a maximum length. Similar to the Motorhome with a trailer length. People push the limits but usually don't get messed with unless they do stupid stuff.

I am interested in towing doubles as well. I figure if some of these characters that drive big rigs can get an A license, then, almost anybody with a pulse can get one!

Edited by ntrsandman

You need a Class "A" license with a doubles endorsement. There are different forms of the class "A" license. You need to do the regular stuff to get a class A. Test, physical, etc. The driving test is the kicker. You need to take the test with what you will be driving under the A. When you pass you will be able to drive only what you tested for. (An A for a P/U and trailer won't let you drive a big rig) Then you get a doubles endorsement which I believe is only a written test. Oh yeah, anyone that is towing a triple axle RV trailer or fiver is legally supposed to have a Class A.

There is a maximum length. Similar to the Motorhome with a trailer length. People push the limits but usually don't get messed with unless they do stupid stuff.

I am interested in towing doubles as well. I figure if some of these characters that drive big rigs can get an A license, then, almost anybody with a pulse can get one!

Yeah, I think you are talking about a Commercial A vs. Non-Commercial A. I think you can only get a doubles endorsement with the commercial one, so the driving test has to be taken with a commercial vehicle. Not sure though :beercheers:

I just printed the 144 page CA Commercial Driver Handbook, so I have crapper reading for a while :DDRrocks:

There are weight limits on having to have a class A with any trailer regardless of # of axles. In CA i think its 10k# for tag trailers and 15k# for fivers.

You're right though, there are some guys that have no business driving a rig...

I will keep everyone updated on my findings...

:laughoff: I have a 5th wheel (Warrior 3 axle), and once in a while I tow a second 14ft trailer behind it or my jet ski, anyway I was pulled over in California near Bako, and all the CHP wanted to see was my Commerical Class A and it had a doubles endorsement (written test only) and he said ok, have a good day. Never said or asked anything about length. I'm out of Nevada and never been stopped, and weve been to Utah and AZ of which we've never been bothered.

SP2 :rockwoot:

I need to get down and do this. I hate wondering when I am going to get a ticket for trailer weight.

Class A is required to drive combination vehicles, such as tractor-trailers, with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more.

Class B is required to drive single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds; the operator may tow a vehicle weighing 10,000 pounds GVWR or less.

Class C is for cars, vans, pickups, mopeds, and other vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less; allows towing of a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.

Class M is for motorcycles. If you drive a motorcycle and a Class A, B, or C vehicle, your license will show both classes, provided you have met all other requirements. Additionally, Nevada has a Class M license with a U Restriction that limits riders to mopeds, trimobiles, and motorcycles that are less than 90 cc and do not exceed 6½ horsepower.

See Motorcycles, Mopeds & Bicycles.

Endorsement J Allows Class C license to tow a vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Additional written and skills tests are required.

Endorsement R Allows Class C license to tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length. Additional written and skills tests are required.

Endorsement F For firefighters, farmers and military members who drive non-commercial heavy equipment. This endorsement is a limited exemption from commercial licensing requirements.

Restriction A Must wear corrective eye lenses (glasses or contacts).

Restriction P Commercial driver required to obtain a physical exam every two years.

Restriction X Issued in a variety of circumstances such as driving only on a specific route or during specific hours or driving only a certain type of vehicle. The restrictions will be listed on the back of the license or in an official statement the motorist must carry.

:laughing:

I can tell you this much, ask ten people and you'll get ten different answers. ask ten cops and you'll still get ten different answers.

before I got the moho I had a dodge dually towing a 38 foot 5er and also flat towed a suzuki samurai behind it for a while, (73 feet) i,m sure it was totally illegal, but I never got stopped to find out. Before I did it, I asked a ton of people including CHP commercial enforcement guys, I also read through the vehicle code, could never find a clear answer.

It towed great, once I was on the freeway, forgot the sammy was even back there.

If you decide to do it, make sure you plan ahead and make all your stops in BIG parking lots....backing up is a B

good luck,

Kevin

:dunno: Kevin is pretty close to the truth, it just depends on who you ask. I have the commerical rating because I used to drive commerical rigs, which included double tankers. II've asked several friends that pull 5th with another trailer behind them, one has a Normal Class C lic with an R endorsement, that he got due to a ticket he was issued here in Nevada without it. He's not considered a commerical driver, but has the ability to tow more than 3 axles up to 70+ feet (dont know his max length). He thinks he remembers taking only the written that had questions around axle weights and length of each trailer, brakes etc.

The other friend does not have anything more than a regular Class C and also pulls a three axle 5th, and a double axle trailer for his Rhino and Quads and he's well over 70 feet. He's gotten tickets twice in California, but lives here in vegas and has traveled alot in AZ, UT, and nobody's ever given him a second look.

My neighbor is a NPS Protection Ranger (Cop) and he said that if you go to the NHP office in Henderson, they have the DOT (Department of Transportation) section that if you take a picture of your rig, and the weights they will tell you exactly what's required, and how much weight, length, and endorcements you need if any. To me with an explanation from the DOT, I'd feel much better about a discussion with the NHP and a $450 fine which is what one of my friends got without the proper certificate.

:laughoff: SP2 Mike :laughing:

Edited by Sandpirates2