Onan generator help

Sincity_blondie

Ok I have an onan generator in my hauler that ive had a few problems with. Usually its the batteries being dead why it wont turn over. But ive charged the batteries. Ive made sure it has oil and used a starting spray. NOTHING. It wont turn over at all.

Suggestions??? I cant really afford to call a professional. Just need to get it up and running. Thanks for any input.

Ok I have an onan generator in my hauler that ive had a few problems with. Usually its the batteries being dead why it wont turn over. But ive charged the batteries. Ive made sure it has oil and used a starting spray. NOTHING. It wont turn over at all.

Suggestions??? I cant really afford to call a professional. Just need to get it up and running. Thanks for any input.

Fuel filter/pump...I believe onans had a problem with their pumps in 06,07 and I think 08, anyways it would be what I would check next, what year is yours?

Edited by Bryan M

not even turning over???? You may have batteries with some dead cells.... charge them all you want it won't work... if the filter is clogged or the pump is bad it should still run or fart off a can of starting fluid, break clean whatever.... but that's assuming it is turning over with spark.... let me know if i can help... i have a spare battery i can throw in it just to be sure.... pm me if ya want..

I also have a gen you can run your trailer with if that will help...

:grin:

My hauler is a 05. I believe the batteries are ok. Tried starting generator while it was still plugged in for charging and after I unplugged. After I unplugged I checked lights and whatnot, if the batteries were dead, that wouldnt be the case, would it?

Thanks for the offer of a gen to use Brian, hoping to get mine fixed and squared away before I go to coral next month.

When I went to the troubleshooting area of the generator book gives me a couple ideas when it wont crank at all, tried all and nothing. :grin:

My hauler is a 05. I believe the batteries are ok. Tried starting generator while it was still plugged in for charging and after I unplugged. After I unplugged I checked lights and whatnot, if the batteries were dead, that wouldnt be the case, would it?

Thanks for the offer of a gen to use Brian, hoping to get mine fixed and squared away before I go to coral next month.

When I went to the troubleshooting area of the generator book gives me a couple ideas when it wont crank at all, tried all and nothing. :laughoff:

Just keep in mind a dead cell in a battery will still provide twelve volts to show you it is charged enough using your haulers monitor... but not enough amps to do anything like start a gen... this happened to me last season.... all it took was a good meter to prove to me my battery was toast... wait maybe that was the boat ?? Anyways just double check the battery any way you can... In this Nevada heat they go quick

Just keep in mind a dead cell in a battery will still provide twelve volts to show you it is charged enough using your haulers monitor... but not enough amps to do anything like start a gen... this happened to me last season.... all it took was a good meter to prove to me my battery was toast... wait maybe that was the boat ?? Anyways just double check the battery any way you can... In this Nevada heat they go quick

Thanks Brian, appreciate the feedback. Ill unhook the batteries and take them to be checked. Think its been since 07 that I bought new batteries, probably time.

I used to have to worry about having to charge my batteries before every trip out until I put a solar panel on the roof of my toy hauler. For around $75 at Camping World (or some auto parts stores) you can get a small panel that trickle charges your batteries. Mounting and hook-up are really easy. Now everytime I go out to the trailer I know the batteries are fully topped off and ready to go. Its the best $75 I ever spent. :grin:

I'm guessing your generator problems are battery related.

My buddies Onan just did the same thing this weekend out in the dez, under the carb and intake, spade connection (red wire/ white wire)there is one wire that comes thru, sorry not sure what it's for, but his connection went bad from resting on the motor and getting to hot check it out, that was root of his evil generator, it was running rough then stop running at all until i found that short, now it fores right away and runs stronger than ever.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can afford to-- get two 6 volt batteries and a solar trickle charger. The generator will recharge the batteries out in the sand but the solar charger will maintain them in the off-season. Hard to swallow spending the money I know but you will only have to do this one time and you will be glad you did!

• 4 weeks later...

ugh we just got all of our problems fixed in our onan and it sounds like we have the same probs so heres what i did

1. fuel filters

2.fuel pump

3.spark plug

4. check fuel lines (ours had a pin hole that caused alot of problems)

5. we had to buy a new carb (main problem)

we took it to a shop for the new carb and they said onans carbs are really tuchy and should be started atleast once a month

hoped this helped :headbang1:

I had a similar issue and it was a loose ground wire. Check the wires that connect to the battery for rust/corosion, then check the connections to the generator for the same. That is were my issue was when my onan wouldnt start.

Mine wasnt doing anything when pushing the switch to start it. If you push and nothing then i would check the wires to and from the generator.

I had a similar issue and it was a loose ground wire. Check the wires that connect to the battery for rust/corosion, then check the connections to the generator for the same. That is were my issue was when my onan wouldnt start.

Mine wasnt doing anything when pushing the switch to start it. If you push and nothing then i would check the wires to and from the generator.