Towing a Toy Hauler Advice

eli

• 3 weeks later...

oh yeah and more thing I just remembered....

Here's a list of people who have towed a 19-23 ft trailer with a half ton.....

-me

-racnjasen

-sand~snake

-pauly paul

-kens colors

-Mike (Nicole in Vegas' husband)

...and out of those people ever single person upgraded to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck within a year or 2 of towing with a half ton.

I'm not trying to be an azz or talk chit about your truck eli, I just want to make you aware of what to expect. Your gonna start looking at bigger trucks if you go bigger on your trailer. ;)

the 16' vortex we tow with our armada is one heavy trailer....

we towed it up this past weekend to gold point which is north of beatty and got 6.5 miles to a gallon....

it sucks!!! and we were loaded with a yfz450 and rhino... we are now looking for a 3/4 ton pickup!!!

post-2075-1243448339_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moparskin18

I too am towing with a 1/2 ton. '02 chevy 2wd with air bags (huge difference in bounce on the highway); fully loaded i have a quad and fire wood in the back of the truck and a sand rail or 2 quads and 2 dirt bikes in the trailer.

Trailer is a '07 Ragen FB2100 wide body, fully loaded with 30gal of fuel and 150gal of water it does 55mph down the highway just fine. Steep hills like the grapevine/cahon pass it will do 45mph with no issues.

Just realize you wont do 55mph all the time and you will make it to and from the dunes without any issues.

Oh yeah and I have 285-75-16 tires with 4 inch lift, and power programmer (shift point adjustment and tire correction makes a huge towing difference)

the 16' vortex we tow with our armada is one heavy trailer....

we towed it up this past weekend to gold point which is north of beatty and got 6.5 miles to a gallon....

it sucks!!! and we were loaded with a yfz450 and rhino... we are now looking for a 3/4 ton pickup!!!

If you are not feeling any love with a 16 footer I made the right decision not to try and do it with a 21 but what the heck does that darn thing weigh and how fast were you going?

Eli

If you are not feeling any love with a 16 footer I made the right decision not to try and do it with a 21 but what the heck does that darn thing weigh and how fast were you going?

Eli

keeping it oround 65 to 70 :laughoff:

had 15 gallons of fuel in fuel station, 10 gallons in gas cans, 20 pounds of dog food, yfz 450, water filled, rhino :rhino: , 2 gallons of j.d., :headbang1::laughing:

um sticker says 7800 pounds loaded....

never actually weighed it loaded

keeping it oround 65 to 70 :headbang1:

had 15 gallons of fuel in fuel station, 10 gallons in gas cans, 20 pounds of dog food, yfz 450, water filled, rhino :rhino: , 2 gallons of j.d., :grin::headbang1:

um sticker says 7800 pounds loaded....

never actually weighed it loaded

That explains it....nothing works right when you are that low on j.d. :headbang1:

Eli

id say get a different truck. i had a 2001 chevy 1500 z71 with the 5.3, intake and exhaust. I towed 3 atvs (one in bed and one on a snowmobile trailer) from MN to OK and it sucked a$$, yeah it did it but any hill it was shifting like crazy and sucking up the gas. Now i sold that for a 2003 Duramax with all the goodies, put those things behind it and it drove like normal. I towed a enclosed trailer 24' loaded and could barley tell it was back there. and then i towed my GF's 03 montecarlo down here from MN on a car hauler and didnt even notice it was there at 75-80mph. like you said its a love hate thing hated the half ton, loved the duramax. trucks are real cheep now days. My GF's brother picked up a 2001 7.3 powerstroke 4x4, extended cab with 125k on it for 4500. If your gonna tow anything like that please get a diesel you will be SOOOOO much happier!

BTW i got about 8mpg in the z71 towing. i got 18mpg with the duramax towing the montecarlo down here (2003 duramax, extended cab, short box, 4x4, allison, 6" lift, 35" mud grapplers, 20's KMC's, 4" turbo back exhaust, S&M intake, banks big head(like a jake brake on the turbo) edge attitude/juice controllers on level 1, atv in the bed, alot of crap under and around the atv, the car FILLED with crap, and 3 people and stuff inside the truck. like i said i never felt it back there!

Edited by Raptor0206

Personaly I would get more trailer that you want or need now and then get the truck to pull it. It's tough to justify the $$$$$$ but whatever you do at this point it seems like you will be giving something up. Just plan as I did. This will be the only time I will buy a truck or trailer. It's with me for the duration!!! Plan for the furure not the "moment"!