Lil Sahara trip report

We just got back from 5 days up at Little Sahara. What an excellent weekend. There's so much to talk about I don't even know where to begin.

We covered ALOT of dunes and trails this time. It was awesome. Those dunes in the back of sand mtn are badass. There's some great lines where you can flat out haul a$$. :dayum:

Unfortunatley there were 2 mishaps in our group. :( I hit a big rock at the base of sand mountain on my 2 wheeler and went flying over the bars. I landed pretty hard either bruising or fracturing a rib on my left side along with some good road rash on my legs. It hurts but I'll live. I still rode the rest of the weekend though. Then yesterday Jakster and Chadwick went out on a ride. Jack rolled his quad over and ended up breaking his shoulder. He went into Nephi for x-rays and they told him it was a 3rd degree AC separation whatever that means. Regardless, it's gonna require surgery when he gets home. :( He'll live though. He's a trooper.

Other than the mishaps, we got a TON of great riding in, the weather was awesome (although it changed by the hour), we ate great, laughed our azzes off, got lots of relaxing in etc etc. Just like a dune trip should be. :dunno: Good times with some great peeps. :shake:

I'll get some pics up as soon as they upload from my card. :finger:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for everything Pete & Anna.We couldnt have stayed that long without you guys.Tara and I had a really good time.All anyone ever talks about at Little Sahara Is Sand Mountain and how the hill is so big.I had no idea how sweet the duning behind the mountain is.We were tearing it up back there.Pete led us on some fast dune rides back there.The dunes flow great.Could have done without the 2 whooped out trips around the back but who knew we could ride right over the top to paradise :coocoo::laughing: Sand Mountain is a really great place to go.Its my 2nd favorite right with Dumont.I cant believe I have been missing out on that place all this time.Along with the duning we had some great laughs and good company :lol::beerpint: :beer_bang: .Jak and his family are great people and it was nice to meet them. The first night we got there was pretty interesting to say the least.Tara partied a little to hard without eating first and all night long chad and I got to hear :barf::barf::barf: and then the camp next to us WOHOOOOing til 4am :hatdance: It was a very long night to say the least.Although I had met Chadwick before that was the first time we really hung out.Funny bastard.After the carne asada things got interesting in the trailer when we were trying to go to sleep :assblast: then :assblast: then :assblast: then :laughoff: That was funny as hell and disgusting all at once.I couldnt stop laughing :laughing: Anna came out and asked us if we needed some Lysol :surrender: :laughing: Got to say the Bro scene is very very strong in utah.That kinda surprised me but was entertaining.That place is crazy.There are more Rangers than anywhere I have ever been yet there are hardly any rules to break :think: Tons of people racing and duning with no helmets,girls riding doubles with flip flops on :laughing: Loved the paved roads all the way in.Dumont needs to take a page from there book.There also werent a bunch of speeding lunitics with the paved roads either it was actually really mellow.That place is awesome.I for sure want to go back again.I cant thank Anna and Pete enough for the hospitality,you guys are alot of fun.Once the monsoon hit we knew it was time to bail.It poured really hard on us until we hit the I-15.Good thing is it washed everything off :clap: The drive home was awesome.Hardly anyone on the road and it was really nice out.Great trip,great weather and good times.Couldnt have been better.

Edited by Sand_700R

Sounds like a great place how far is it from vegas? and is it good for sandrails? Ill prob be headn there during summer if it has good weather

It's a great place for almost every kind of toy. It's about 6 hours from Vegas (towing). From my house in Henderson it was almost exactly 400 miles.

Summertime up there still gets pretty warm during the daytime from what I am told. Dunereview.com has a bunch of LS regulars with some good info.

:laughing:

Sounds like 5,087 DDR peeps miss the eff out. And I'm one of em'. :laughing:

LS sounds awesome foe schizzz. Great peeps are alway the schizzz.

AC separation for Jak? :lol: :beer_bang: :surrender: Not good. :(

I'm not sure if they will want to do surgery or not.

I actually have one on my right shoulder. Got it when I broke my femur. :beerpint:

The hospital said they don't have much luck with surgery on AC separations.

So, I didn't get surgery. It was about 6-7 years ago.

I've done well so far with mine and pray it doesn't cause problems in the future.

Jak, I feel your pain brotha, Hang in there and keep us updated.

Call or PM me if I can help in any way.

Pete, you OK bro?

You made it sound like you are, but you're tough to keep down when you're in the dunes. :mc:

Glad you got to tear dat place up mANg. :laughing::laughing:

Hey Aaron, Are you sure you like it up there? Your post wasn't too convincing. :laughoff:

Right-on, Glad you guys had a blast.

I can't wait for the pics. :flatbiller:

R-

Sounds like you guys made it alot farther in then we did last year. Sucks you got hurt but glad you had a good time. Remember that place claimed my left hand last year. I still thought it was great though. I think the place demands a little sacrifice or something. Can't wait to see the pics.

k, here are just a few to hold you over :beer_bang: Check out Aaron pulling his signature move when he waxes someone on the hill. He wheelies and looks back at them at the top. :lol:

The wheelie wasnt intentional that hill is just so damn steep.I do always look back though I want to see how close the race is. :surrender:

The wheelie wasnt intentional that hill is just so damn steep.I do always look back though I want to see how close the race is. :surrender:

SURRRRRRE :laughing: we all know yer a cocky azzhat hater that likes to talk :poop: then showoff at the top of the hill :beer_bang:

j/k aaron

:lol:

Yeah it was a good trip. 1st time there. Place is huge, not Glamis huge, but still huge. Had a couple good rail rides but stuck mostly with the quad. Met up with Pete, Jakster, Chad, Aaron with some peeps I camped with and went for a nice ride on Sat. Good times. Will go back there again for sure.

Hey Pete, post that pic of Lil Charlie representing DDR up!

I'll get more pics up tonight when I get time. Mike I didn't get too many backside pics, but there are a few. ;)

I also got some pics of some seriously irresponsible people up there. :surrender: I think I need a separate thread just for those! WHY would you not wear a helmet???? :lol:

I might go get x-rays soon. This rib is killing me. :beer_bang:

Chillen on Thurs after we got there.

IMG_8263.JPG

The paved loops were a blast for this... :atc:

IMG_8274.JPG

Looking north towards White Sands. Those dunes go forever but you can't go too fast since they are kind of tight and technical. But they're still fun to check out and cruise through. :D

IMG_8289.JPG

Lookin at sand mtn camp area from the white sands

IMG_8285.JPG

Jakster playin ball w/ one of his girls

IMG_8294.JPG

couple DDR birds for ya :laughing:

IMG_8302.JPG

some of the really fun STEEP hills to climb (but with a HELMET :beerpint: )

IMG_8310.JPG

sunset :laughing:

IMG_8349.JPG

some pics of the dunes in the back from Friday. Sorry the sun wasn't out much so the pics aren't the best

IMG_8356.JPG

IMG_8357.JPG

IMG_8360_(Medium).JPG

IMG_8358.JPG

IMG_8359.JPG

some greener dune areas. I bet ponds start to form when it really rains hard there.

IMG_8361.JPG

IMG_8362.JPG

These are from when we sat at the top of Sand Mtn and just sat & chilled and watched the show...

badass Jeep...

IMG_8373.JPG

some rails...

IMG_8376-crop.jpg

IMG_8378.JPG

IMG_8388-crop.jpg

IMG_8395.JPG

IMG_8396.JPG

IMG_8397.JPG

IMG_8414.JPG

turbo'd LTR450

IMG_8407.JPG

Banshee

IMG_8413.JPG

Then over to the vendors for a hat. I forgot mine. Good thing Racin Dirty was there. :lol:

IMG_8418.JPG

IMG_8419.JPG

Back at the hill...

IMG_8424.JPG

IMG_8427.JPG

IMG_8428.JPG

IMG_8462.JPG

IMG_8433.JPG

Larry Short in his turbo single seater :beer_bang: (owner of Short Sand Cars who built my car)

IMG_8435.JPG

another SSC

IMG_8439.JPG

and another SSC

IMG_8441.JPG

clean ride

IMG_8472.JPG

more racin action at sand mtn

IMG_8504.JPG

Aaron layin the smack down

IMG_8533.JPG

:randog:

IMG_8486.JPG

IMG_8511.JPG

This Jeep was SICK! :surrender:

IMG_8521.JPG

IMG_8534.JPG

He flopped the sand mtn razor the next day wayyy at the top. That takes balls with a big ol Jeep. :laughing:

IMG_8734-crop.jpg

Built Jeeps are big up there.

IMG_8541.JPG

I still have more coming up.... :laughing:

IMG_8536-crop.jpg

A view from the backside way off in the distance.

IMG_8548-2.jpg

After meeting up with JJ (lvnalolife) and friends, we stoppped for some action pics.

IMG_8564.JPG

IMG_8568-crop.jpg

Charlie Child tearin it up.

IMG_8594-crop.jpg

IMG_8617-crop.jpg

IMG_8623.JPG

The skies were interesting all weekend.

IMG_8651.JPG

group photo shoot (minus me of course)

IMG_8654-crop.jpg

IMG_8656.JPG

cheers :lol:

IMG_8677.JPG

Jakster taking the girls out.

IMG_8679.JPG

just some random pics

IMG_8682.JPG

IMG_8683.JPG

:duniemonkie: :atc:

IMG_8688.JPG

IMG_8695.JPG

the "spider tree"

IMG_8699.JPG

more crazy skies as the weather shifted

IMG_8701.JPG

IMG_8704.JPG

3 SSC's at the top

IMG_8715-crop.jpg

I like this pic.

IMG_8719-2.jpg

Then on Sunday we're watching movies in the hauler as it starts to drizzle. Anna notices out the window of the hauler that Charlie child tagged Sand Mtn DDR style. :beer_bang: Thatta boy Charlie!!! :laughing: Way cool. :surrender:

IMG_8756.JPG

Sunday night was the only time it even really rained all weekend in camp. It was pretty fun though to just chill in the rain despite the fact that I was hurtin, Jack was hurtin, and we were all pretty beat. I kicked on some good tunes, we got a huge azz fire going, and JJ, RoseMarie, and Charlie stopped by. Good times.

Charlie and Anna got in a Coke throwin fight. :beer_bang:

IMG_8757.JPG

Hey Mike and Jodi. Here's your backside picture. :laughing:

IMG_8758.JPG

All weekend we tried getting Chad with a Sharpie or eyeliner. We never succeeded. He's a light sleeper. :laughing: :surrender:

IMG_8761.JPG

He decided to wake up and join in on the fun. :lol::laughing:

IMG_8763.JPG

IMG_8764.JPG

Jakster hangin tough after gettin back from the hospital. :laughing:

IMG_8765.JPG

IMG_8771.JPG

Looks like good times up there. Looks like it was pretty busy weekend? Not a very big camping area huh? Someday ill make it up there. Thanks for sharing the pics! Sorry to hear about the injuries.

It was considered a busy holiday weekend because well...it was a holiday. :lol:

As for the camp area: it's pretty big, but it's not like Dumont. It just seems really small from way up on the mtn. You gotta remember. Sand Mountain is over 700 feet tall. At least 2 or 3 times the size of comp at Dumont. There is the Sand Mtn camp area which is open camping like D, then they have 2 campgrounds: Jericho & White Sands which are farther north.

some long shutter night shots of sand mtn with some light trails

IMG_8661.JPG

IMG_8662.JPG

IMG_8663.JPG

IMG_8664.JPG

IMG_8665.JPG

IMG_8667.JPG

IMG_8668.JPG

IMG_8671.JPG

Pete, we should get 3 peeps on quads, 1 for each letter "D D R" and do a night long exp on a slope, all 3 quads synchronized ride the letter shape and turn off lights, A big DDR light trail photo. :beercheers: