How do you load your sandrail- Pull in or Back in?

80grit

Just curious for the peeps that have 5th wheel toy haulers if they pull their rails in or back them in.

I have a 3 axle Weekend Warrior and wondering if I pull in (with the added weight of the engine in the back of the rail)....if it will put too much extra weight on the back set of tires?

Backing in seems like it would distribute the weight evenly over all 3 axles.

How do you peeps do it?

I pull mine in forward, but then again I don't have reverse or a 5th wheel trailer either so none of this information is helpful at all. :laughing: lol

So Rob...did ya pick something up or place that order with Don? :lol::DDRrocks::blink:

I picked up that ASC car I asked you about. Just had to many options that I couldnt replicate buying new. Also its a bit bigger then the SCU which I liked.

post-14-1246227639_thumb.jpg

post-14-1246227616_thumb.jpg

post-14-1246227661_thumb.jpg

If I pull this in, I have to change four tires (loading tires). If I back it in I only have to change the rears. I was just curious from a wieght distribution perspective. Is it better to have the weight to the rear or over the wheels (backed in). I towed it home pulling it in and it towed just fine.

Just curious how everyone else did it.

I picked up that ASC car I asked you about. Just had to many options that I couldnt replicate buying new. Also its a bit bigger then the SCU which I liked.

If I pull this in, I have to change four tires (loading tires). If I back it in I only have to change the rears. I was just curious from a wieght distribution perspective. Is it better to have the weight to the rear or over the wheels (backed in). I towed it home pulling it in and it towed just fine.

DAYUMMM!!! BADD a$$!! MANG1!

DAMN Rob

That Car is BAD a$$!!!!!

Congrats!!!!! you don't need those dirt tires do you LOL (seriously if you don't, and want to sell let me know)

Congrats again on the new ride :blink:

Right on, Rob! Congrats. You're gonna have a blast in that thing.

I would say backing it in should be just fine. I cant see how it would put TOO much pin weight on the truck if you did. Your truck can handle it anyways.

ASC makes a sweet car, nice choice. Either way you will be fine, personally I would have a winch installed to ease the process and incase you ever need to get it in while not under power.. I've seen that car in person a few times, very nice. :blink:

Edited by raspadoo

Who is ASC, I have never heard of them. Looks really nice.

In my research prior to buying the car, I found out the owners were the lead fabricators at Alumi Craft. They are based out of El Cajon, California. They are metal fabricators.

Edited by 80grit

ASC makes a sweet car, nice choice. Either way you will be fine, personally I would have a winch installed to ease the process and incase you ever need to get it in while not under power.. I've seen that car in person a few times, very nice. :beerpint:

I think I will go with the back in trick. It will save me changing out the 2 front tires and put most of the weight in the middle of the 3 axles.

I was thinking the same thing on the winch. I just hate to do a permanent installation inside the coach. I have a removable 5th hitch on my 1 ton truck and was thinking of stealing that design.

post-14-1246300188_thumb.jpg

post-14-1246300214_thumb.jpg

Beef up the plateing under the coach to accept the twist pins and mount the winch on the steel bar. This way I could pop it in or out when needed. When not in use, just use a flat mounting plug to plug the holes in the floor. Make up a 12 volt high current plug in the front cabinet area. Portable winch :D

• 1 month later...

I DRIVE IT STRAIGHT IN :beercheers:

I drive it straight in as well. I have a 38 foot Gearbox toyhauler. I load one quad in first (sideways) then just drive the car straight in. I've never had a problem. However, I don't have much of a choice. My car is 98" wide with the back sand tires on. I have to put different tires on just for that. With a table on one side and a bed on the other as you get closer to the kitchen, there isn't enough room to back it in even with different smaller tires. I even had to change out my front tires to 13x5 VW tires just to get the front in. Saving for a Diesel Pusher and Stacker.

I winch mine in backwards. I purchased a cheap 3000lb winch from harbor frieght. mounted it to a bar, the leangth of the three front tiedowns. clip it to the front three tiedowns, connect it a spare battery i take with me. May sound Getto but it works good for me. plus I can move the whole thing to another trailer in case they need to use it. I thought it would break my tie downs but it seems to work. I have winched the car in about 10 times now without a hitch. I have a WW and I'm thinking of mounting the winch under the stairs. But for now this works great.

post-2594-1250296840_thumb.jpg

post-2594-1250297265_thumb.jpg

I winch mine in backwards. I purchased a cheap 3000lb winch from harbor frieght. mounted it to a bar, the leangth of the three front tiedowns. clip it to the front three tiedowns, connect it a spare battery i take with me. May sound Getto but it works good for me. plus I can move the whole thing to another trailer in case they need to use it. I thought it would break my tie downs but it seems to work. I have winched the car in about 10 times now without a hitch. I have a WW and I'm thinking of mounting the winch under the stairs. But for now this works great.

I ended up going that route also. Put a winch in under the first step leading up to the bedroom. Just pull her in backwards. Works great.

I ended up going that route also. Put a winch in under the first step leading up to the bedroom. Just pull her in backwards. Works great.

I saw your setup at the night drags. When it is done no one will even know it is there. Some clean install going down. Good job. I especially liked the remote so you can load it solo.