California duners I need some help

dogtownpits

I am interested in buying my first buggy and have come across some nice ones in my price range. The cars that I have come across have no title or green sticker. Can anyone tell me how difficult or easy it is to go to dmv and chp to get it done????

Thanks in advance

I am interested in buying my first buggy and have come across some nice ones in my price range. The cars that I have come across have no title or green sticker. Can anyone tell me how difficult or easy it is to go to dmv and chp to get it done????

Thanks in advance

Its very easy, just did iy myself. Take your bill of sale to the DMV and start paperwork( IE pay reg fees ect, fill out aplication) Then the dmv will give you paperwork that you need to take to the CHP vehicle inpection department. They give th buggy a once over checking engine and trans vin numbers. Take chp's paperwork back to DMV and they give you green sticker and mail the new pink slip.

Its very easy, just did iy myself. Take your bill of sale to the DMV and start paperwork( IE pay reg fees ect, fill out aplication) Then the dmv will give you paperwork that you need to take to the CHP vehicle inpection department. They give th buggy a once over checking engine and trans vin numbers. Take chp's paperwork back to DMV and they give you green sticker and mail the new pink slip.

How long did this whole process take from start to finish? Are the fees the same as a car, 10% of purchase price and $15 for transfer?

tell dmv its home built. it makes the process easier, and carb hasnt put there dirty fingers into the home bulit buggy world yet. and dont pul every reciept you will pay a tax on every penny you claim.

The car is home built by original owner but i will be the 3rd owner and the 1st to go for registration. The only receipt i think i can get is the engine rebuild. I hope they don't try to tax me for that also because it was very expensive receipt close to $5000.00 just for motor work

The car is home built by original owner but i will be the 3rd owner and the 1st to go for registration. The only receipt i think i can get is the engine rebuild. I hope they don't try to tax me for that also because it was very expensive receipt close to $5000.00 just for motor work

You can aproach it two ways. Show all engine and transmision receipts and pay taxes on that or show a bill of sale for what you paid for the complete vehicle. Bill of sale for complete vehicle is way to go with less hassel. It took me 3 weeks to get an apointment with CHP inspection, and time at dmv. With an apoitment with dmv its no problem...in and out.

You can aproach it two ways. Show all engine and transmision receipts and pay taxes on that or show a bill of sale for what you paid for the complete vehicle. Bill of sale for complete vehicle is way to go with less hassel. It took me 3 weeks to get an apointment with CHP inspection, and time at dmv. With an apoitment with dmv its no problem...in and out.

Thanks for the info

• 7 months later...

x 2 on Lisa's Registration.

I used her to register my golf cart for street use. But alot of us here in San Diego use her for sandrail stuff as well.

But you can easily do it yourself, Get the major receipts together, IE motor trans and frame. Maybe the seats and other big ticket items. Or you can just tell the CHP you bought it as a basket case from some guy and show a receipt with an as-is sale, and you assembeled it yourself.

If you have a few CHP offices in your area, check them out. Some will have a long wait for an inspection and others might have an opening sameday of just a few days wa