Coral Pink

Sandpirates2

:yawn: ok, so it looks like am heading up to Coral Pink on Thursday for 4 days. Never been before, always stayed at Sand Hollow. SO, can I get some of the local information - it looks to have a camp sites, but I dont remember any of you talking about specific sites more of an open find a spot type of camping. So, is the campsites not the place to be? Also, what's the best way to make the way up there with a 37ft 5th wheel? Any insight would be welcome - thx

SP2 Mike

:sleeping:

:yawn: ok, so it looks like am heading up to Coral Pink on Thursday for 4 days. Never been before, always stayed at Sand Hollow. SO, can I get some of the local information - it looks to have a camp sites, but I dont remember any of you talking about specific sites more of an open find a spot type of camping. So, is the campsites not the place to be? Also, what's the best way to make the way up there with a 37ft 5th wheel? Any insight would be welcome - thx

SP2 Mike

Unless you want rules and quiet nights( Quiet Times at night) then stay at the meadows a mile or two north of the State Campground. No assigned sites just camp where you want to. It's just a fairly large flat spot with access to some good riding. It is a ways from the actual dunes section but you can get there with a short ride on some nice trails that take off from there. Seems to be the prefered spot for most since the Camp Ground is kept under tight rules.

The "Meadows" is the area I speak of and is towards the campground as you turn left at the dead end road that comes from Hiway 89. Watch the turn off as it can be hard to see. It's several miles from Kanab going north.

There is a dirt road at the Cane fields that is tough to find just out of Colorado City before you get to Kanab but unless it has been very recentlyl graded is not the way to go with your rig. It would save you 30 to 40 minutes but is seldom worth it!

Have a good trip. It is beautiful up there and will be getting pretty cold at night. You are at 5000 ft altitude so watch the sun if your fair skinned. I've been burnt pretty good up there. Some riding equipment should be re jetted for the altitude.

The actual dunes can be treterous if your not carefull. some big drop off coming south from the top!

Looking forward to meeting you in the future.

Be safe and enjoy! :idea:

SP2 Mike

Coral Pink is at 6000' so jetting is to be considered for quads unless you have EFI. There are 22 RV Trailer Sites that can be reserved by calling 1-800-322-3770. The sites costs $16 a night. There is also dry camping for $8 a day. The best RV sites are 11, 17, 4, 5, 8, & 10. They are all about 100 feet long with hookups on asphalt. I like 11 the best because you are closer to the entrance to the sand and don't have to ride as far on the asphalt to get to the sand. You are limited to 1 vehicle attached to your RV and 8 people per camp site. Quite hours are 10pm - 7am. I've never road from your area to Kanab (Coral Pink) but think you would take I-15 towards Salt Lake City, UT-9 exit 16 towards Hurricane/Zion, then UT-59 which becomes AZ-389, then CR-237/Cane Beds Rd which becomes Sanddune Rd. The address of Coral Pink is 12500 Sanddune Rd.

Unless you want rules and quiet nights( Quiet Times at night) then stay at the meadows a mile or two north of the State Campground. No assigned sites just camp where you want to. It's just a fairly large flat spot with access to some good riding. It is a ways from the actual dunes section but you can get there with a short ride on some nice trails that take off from there. Seems to be the prefered spot for most since the Camp Ground is kept under tight rules.

The "Meadows" is the area I speak of and is towards the campground as you turn left at the dead end road that comes from Hiway 89. Watch the turn off as it can be hard to see. It's several miles from Kanab going north.

There is a dirt road at the Cane fields that is tough to find just out of Colorado City before you get to Kanab but unless it has been very recentlyl graded is not the way to go with your rig. It would save you 30 to 40 minutes but is seldom worth it!

Have a good trip. It is beautiful up there and will be getting pretty cold at night. You are at 5000 ft altitude so watch the sun if your fair skinned. I've been burnt pretty good up there. Some riding equipment should be re jetted for the altitude.

The actual dunes can be treterous if your not carefull. some big drop off coming south from the top!

Looking forward to meeting you in the future.

Be safe and enjoy! :yawn:

Thanks Pat and Larry -

So, sounds like it would be best to stay away from Cane road. It didnt look like the campsites had hook-ups? Dont know if you can confirm. The road in to the meadows - should I just follow signs to the campground, and is there a turn-off that says "Meadows" on it? Also, from what I'm hearing it looks to be about 3.5, to 4 hours pulling a trailer. I also saw a sign about no campfires unless in a metal tub of some kind? Hows the meadows for dogs, dont want LEO on top of me, but seems the meadows would be better to have dogs in.

Look forward to meeting up with you guys also.

SP2 Mike

If you come in through Kanab, you will be just north of Coral. When headed North on the 89 out of Kanab, you will make a left on Hancock Road, this is a tight turn that can come up on you pretty quick. Hancock will dead end at Coral Pink Sand Dunes Rd. Turn left and you will see the Meadows on the left and just as you think you are at the end you will see the entrance, swing a little wide and you are there.

Coral.jpg

If you come in through Kanab, you will be just north of Coral. When headed North on the 89 out of Kanab, you will make a left on Hancock Road, this is a tight turn that can come up on you pretty quick. Hancock will dead end at Coral Pink Sand Dunes Rd. Turn left and you will see the Meadows on the left and just as you think you are at the end you will see the entrance, swing a little wide and you are there.

Coral.jpg

:dayum: Excellent - Thanks Mark, appreciate it big time. This totally helps...... :banghead:

SP2 Mike

:banghead:

Ive never camped in the actual camp ground, always in the meadow. Keep in mind if camping in the meadow, (which is the way to go in my opinion) you do have to have your fire contained in a container that has to be off the ground. The enterance to the dunes is right there off the meadow. Goes on forever it seems. Have a good time. Post pics when you come back!

Dogs are fine in the meadow, I think in the camp ground they have to be on a 6ft leash. We were in the meadow on an off weekend with just our camp and 2 other camps, the Ranger stopped by and I didn't have my dog tied up and he ran right up to the Ranger and he didn't say anything about it at all.

The Rangers are really nice out there, we have never had any issues with them.

Their biggest issue is when people burn on the ground, so please put your fire in a container and do not dump your ashes on the ground. They said that is what is going to get the Meadow closed for camping. Camping in the Meadow is free.

If you have a GPS...

GPS Coordinates:

Dry Lake Camp - N37°03.992', W112°42.315'

Park Entrance - N37°02.188', W112°43.997'

North Dune Overlook - N37°03.556', W112°42.007'

Hwy 89 and Hancock Rd. - N37°08.815', W112°34.142'

http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_coral_pink.htm

:dayum: Excellent - Thanks Mark, appreciate it big time. This totally helps...... :banghead:

SP2 Mike

:banghead:

Anytime Mike, may people gave me tips when I first asked about going, so I figure pay it forward right!!

We have heard the flag colors are enforced.

Red or OSHA orange only, and some have mentioned no writing/graphics/printing on them.

Damfino how accurate that is.

We do not run any orange flags and all of our flags have printing on them and have never been harassed, but that is not to say they couldn't.

This is my back yard sand spot. I always camp at the meadows. The sand is very different in texture from Dumont. You can get hurt very fast on these dunes. Avoid mid day flying across the dunes as the light can trick you and you can be airborn over a 100 ft drop. All my dune riding family has been hurt by that mistake and I spent many a night visiting them in the hospital. I broke in my 700 raptor there. Sold it there and bought a rhino. Across the road from the meadow is a trail system that is wonderful. We go from the meadow on a 2 1/2 hr ride all the way to Mt carmel for lunch. You cross the virgin river 26 times before you reach Mt. Carmel. Check with the ranger and get directions for a trail ride that will take you to historic mail drop cliff overlooking Zion Natl park. Prapere for very cool nights. Meadows is a dry camp buy you can get water and dump at the supervised campground. Absolutely no campfires on the ground. you must have a device like a cut barrel or something you can buy and bring that will keep ashes in check. I know its a pain, but it does keep the area nice for the rest of the campers. Rangers will close this overflow area if that rule is broken. Rangers otherwise are very nice. I have seen them go up and drag toys out by rope for those who ran out of gas or broke down and they do it gladly. Respect them and they will respect you. :rhino:

Edited by Tripleshot

:dunno:

This is my back yard sand spot. I always camp at the meadows. The sand is very different in texture from Dumont. You can get hurt very fast on these dunes. Avoid mid day flying across the dunes as the light can trick you and you can be airborn over a 100 ft drop. All my dune riding family has been hurt by that mistake and I spent many a night visiting them in the hospital. I broke in my 700 raptor there. Sold it there and bought a rhino. Across the road from the meadow is a trail system that is wonderful. We go from the meadow on a 2 1/2 hr ride all the way to Mt carmel for lunch. You cross the virgin river 26 times before you reach Mt. Carmel. Check with the ranger and get directions for a trail ride that will take you to historic mail drop cliff overlooking Zion Natl park. Prapere for very cool nights. Meadows is a dry camp buy you can get water and dump at the supervised campground. Absolutely no campfires on the ground. you must have a device like a cut barrel or something you can buy and bring that will keep ashes in check. I know its a pain, but it does keep the area nice for the rest of the campers. Rangers will close this overflow area if that rule is broken. Rangers otherwise are very nice. I have seen them go up and drag toys out by rope for those who ran out of gas or broke down and they do it gladly. Respect them and they will respect you. :rhino:

Coral Pink Rocks! True, the rangers are great, true, the riding can be dangerous, but it is beautiful up there and have had some of the best rides of my entire life there. Edited by pulplv