Dumont Entrance Road

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie, being an operator, offered a couple of years ago to run their blade to help out never heard a word from them. I can run a loader and a water truck but once again the FREE help was never utilized. Then again I don't know what type of liabilities they are up against in these situations.

At one time there was a plan to get some free asphalt from somewhere, but the cost to get it, move it, and lay it was something like $35,000.00. I'm probably wrong here, but when we went to that TRT meeting on a Saturday last year, I thought they said something like that.

Terry help me out with this.

Sorry about you trailer Pat, but other then that how was the trip?

At one time there was a plan to get some free asphalt from somewhere, but the cost to get it, move it, and lay it was something like $35,000.00. I'm probably wrong here, but when we went to that TRT meeting on a Saturday last year, I thought they said something like that.

Like saying; Other than that Mr Lincoln, how did you lke the play" ? :D

I'll save that story for when I see you next. We both had some issues!!! :surrender:

Edited by SANDAWG

Driving a moho down there is very enlightening, When you can hear the rig fallin apart around you you realize real quick that 10mph is the magic number 10mph or under is not bad at all, go over 10mph, the suspension cant keep up and it gets ugly quick. It sucks though because at 10mph you get passed and dusted very frequently. Years ago in the class c we found that 50mph, the wife holding the fridge door shut and the microwave frome falling out worked out best :D

Driving a moho down there is very enlightening, When you can hear the rig fallin apart around you you realize real quick that 10mph is the magic number 10mph or under is not bad at all, go over 10mph, the suspension cant keep up and it gets ugly quick. It sucks though because at 10mph you get passed and dusted very frequently. Years ago in the class c we found that 50mph, the wife holding the fridge door shut and the microwave frome falling out worked out best :D

Gaud Damn thats sooo FUNNY but true!!! :surrender: :laughoff: :kissass:

Yep... 10 Mph and under is the magic number...

LOL!! Holding on to the Fridge and Microwave at 50Mph... LMAO!! :laughing:

Edited by Dune Family

There was some conversation regarding the 35k to move grindings but ca. DOT decided to put them over at Rasor road even though the University didn't want the road paved. DOT did it anyway. So right now we are on hold for any grindings and just have to deal with what we have.

I passed a M/H on 127 coming from baker last Friday, this thing had stuff banging around and waving around so I passed him to make sure nothing fell off and hit my coach. Then I got to the entrance road and was doing 10 MPH to try to keep everything in the cabinets and this M/H and trailer passes me on the dirt road doing about 40MPH, no wonder everything was hanging on by a thread!

Just take your time it's not a race the dunes will still be there 10 minutes later.

There was some conversation regarding the 35k to move grindings but ca. DOT decided to put them over at Rasor road even though the University didn't want the road paved. DOT did it anyway. So right now we are on

Did the first application of the grindings do anything at all to improve the road???? Not that I could see, so why do it again? If they would properly improve the base then add solvents to the grindings and roll it to make it hard and semi permanent then I could see it. I may be wrong but another application of grindings is a waste of money and resources. IMHO

There was some conversation regarding the 35k to move grindings but ca. DOT decided to put them over at Rasor road even though the University didn't want the road paved. DOT did it anyway. So right now we are on

Did the first application of the grindings do anything at all to improve the road???? Not that I could see, so why do it again? If they would properly improve the base then add solvents to the grindings and roll it to make it hard and semi permanent then I could see it. I may be wrong but another application of grindings is a waste of money and resources. IMHO

Won't argue with you on that Pat! That was what was supposed to happen the first time around but didn't. that story is best told over a beer and a campfire. Anyway i believe we will just have to deal with what we have now and some grading to fill in the rough spots. Remember it is a desert road not a super highway. I get frustrated with it but remember back in the day when it pretty much required 4X$ to get into the dunes. So with that it is better than it was!

Terry

Won't argue with you on that Pat! That was what was supposed to happen the first time around but didn't. that story is best told over a beer and a campfire. Anyway i believe we will just have to deal with what we have now and some grading to fill in the rough spots. Remember it is a desert road not a super highway. I get frustrated with it but remember back in the day when it pretty much required 4X$ to get into the dunes. So with that it is better than it was!

Terry

No need to ruin a good beer around the campfire. I'd love to have a drink with you next time however!!!

I started to look you up on Friday or Saturday but there were too damn many MH's w/ stackers!!!

Have a good one!!!!

I've said my piece and I'll leave it there.........maybe???? :MBdance::old:

:idea:

With all the attention towards clean air in California and it's relation to Federal money that is available, based on the moneys that are spent by the Feds, it would seem that the road should be paved.

Based on a count of vehicles using this road there may even be a law that requires a dirt road to be paved to prevent the dust from getting into the air.

Aw chit, there aren't any politicians living in the area that can see the dust or have to breath it or repair their vehicles because of the condition of the road.

Damnit!!!!!My bad!! Sounded so feasable at first!! :banghead::old::lol:

The biggest part of the problem in my opinion is they just keep filling in the holes with the loose sh*t. then the holes and washboards magically appear. They need to use that blade to cut grade down smooth

I've said for years I was going to do this, looks like the time has come. I have lots of Ford splined axle ends from when I use to cut and respline them, I thought I could weld up a drag heavy and big (and ugly) enough that nobody would take it and duners could drag it from the entrance to the right turn before the drop/creek cross and duners leaving could drag it back to the entrance. Not a permanent fix but if used would keep the teeth rattling wash board to a minimum I think. I was never much of one to rely on government to fix something much less fix it right, and usually necessitates funding then come the fee's/taxes, sometimes they're the "temporary fee's/taxes", temporary because sooner or later you die, with the majority of the $ falling through the cracks (pockets) of government for a "fix" that replaces 1 problem with a "new and improved" version. I remember the rock/gravel they put on the road, exchanged the regular dust on the motorhome to the light grey dust that stuck better and harder to wash off. If anyone can think of any reason the drag wouldn't work, speak up so I don't send lots of kilowatts through the mig just for a reason to be more cynical. :pumpkin: :laughing::beercheers:

I've said for years I was going to do this, looks like the time has come. I have lots of Ford splined axle ends from when I use to cut and respline them, I thought I could weld up a drag heavy and big (and ugly) enough that nobody would take it and duners could drag it from the entrance to the right turn before the drop/creek cross and duners leaving could drag it back to the entrance. Not a permanent fix but if used would keep the teeth rattling wash board to a minimum I think. I was never much of one to rely on government to fix something much less fix it right, and usually necessitates funding then come the fee's/taxes, sometimes they're the "temporary fee's/taxes", temporary because sooner or later you die, with the majority of the $ falling through the cracks (pockets) of government for a "fix" that replaces 1 problem with a "new and improved" version. I remember the rock/gravel they put on the road, exchanged the regular dust on the motorhome to the light grey dust that stuck better and harder to wash off. If anyone can think of any reason the drag wouldn't work, speak up so I don't send lots of kilowatts through the mig just for a reason to be more cynical. :think: :pumpkin: :laughing:

Your idea certainly deserves further conversation and consideration. As is typical in business..... "come to me with a solution not a complaint". This is a feasible solution/ idea for sure!!! :thumb::old::usa:

I have an small roll of 8' chain link fencing that I would be glad to donate to the cause! Makes a good drag material.

If the old stand by rule in life is true then the 80-20 rule should apply. 20% of the people will help the 80% that wouldn't!

:beercheers:

Edited by SANDAWG

I've said for years I was going to do this, looks like the time has come. I have lots of Ford splined axle ends from when I use to cut and respline them, I thought I could weld up a drag heavy and big (and ugly) enough that nobody would take it and duners could drag it from the entrance to the right turn before the drop/creek cross and duners leaving could drag it back to the entrance. Not a permanent fix but if used would keep the teeth rattling wash board to a minimum I think. I was never much of one to rely on government to fix something much less fix it right, and usually necessitates funding then come the fee's/taxes, sometimes they're the "temporary fee's/taxes", temporary because sooner or later you die, with the majority of the $ falling through the cracks (pockets) of government for a "fix" that replaces 1 problem with a "new and improved" version. I remember the rock/gravel they put on the road, exchanged the regular dust on the motorhome to the light grey dust that stuck better and harder to wash off. If anyone can think of any reason the drag wouldn't work, speak up so I don't send lots of kilowatts through the mig just for a reason to be more cynical. :think: :pumpkin: :laughing:

Your idea certainly deserves further conversation and consideration. As is typical in business..... "come to me with a solution not a complaint". This is a feasible solution/ idea for sure!!! :thumb::old::usa:

I have an small roll of 8' chain link fencing that I would be glad to donate to the cause! Makes a good drag material.

if the old stand by rule in life is true then the 80-20 rule should apply. 20% of the people will help the 80% that wouldn't!

:beercheers:

This all sounds fine and dandy, but I don't you are allowed to. It's not your property, so BLM would be liable for anything that went wrong, you would probably need permits of some sort, and I sure there is a whole long list of things you would either need or have to have. But it comes down to, you not being a BLM employee.

It's hard for me to put it all into words, but I'm sure get get the jest of what I am trying to say.

This all sounds fine and dandy, but I don't you are allowed to. It's not your property, so BLM would be liable for anything that went wrong, you would probably need permits of some sort, and I sure there is a whole long list of things you would either need or have to have. But it comes down to, you not being a BLM employee.

It's hard for me to put it all into words, but I'm sure get get the jest of what I am trying to say.

Glass Half empty or Half full?

I'm sure your right but why not start the process however difficult??

Better than sitting around like I do and complain about it! :beercheers:

The best thing is to contact CAllifornia BLM and request the road be graded ASAP in preparation for the holiday traffic. If it is not graded by then, I will not be coming. Showing pictures of broken parts as is in this thread is the justification for the request. The road is a hazard now and the state could be held liable for not responding to a reasonable and prudent request. This is a safety issue.