Honda 3.5 with a 091 trans?

A-A-Ron

Here's a picture of our 2 seat car that currently has a 2000cc VW engine and a 091 stock trans. Eventually we want to put an A-arm front end on it, build up the trans, and get a Honda 3.5 engine. I'm looking for some advice, can the 091 Trans hold up under the power and torque of the Honda 3.5?

Thanks

100_0548.jpg

Edited by The Bird

With the car being that small i bet you would be fine. Ross tried killing his trans because it was in need of a rebuilt and was a 091 behind a turbo honda.. he ended up cookin the turbo and motor before the trans lol

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a pictures of our 2 seat car that currently has a 2000cc VW engine and a 091 stock trans. Eventually we want to put an A-arm front end on it, build up the trans, and get a Honda 3.5 engine. I'm looking for some advice, can the 091 Trans hold up under the power and torque of the Honda 3.5?

Thanks

100_0548.jpg

OK, well we have decided to have Don (dons bus box) build the trans to the max and go for a Honda 3.5. The engine, wiring harness and ECU acquisition have been put in capable hands, so I can focus on the fabrication work and gathering the rest of the parts to complete the job. We are planning to start the up-grade in February and are currently doing our research on cooling systems.

Wish us luck....... :rolleyes:

I'm in Tucson, who is this person, and do you know where he's located? I don't need anything right this minute, but we all know.....................

http://transaxleengineering.com/

He also does work on all transaxles.. :D

Didnt know you were in tucson i have been in tucson since thursday :D goin to prescott today though.

his website says chatsworth.. i wonder if he moved recently.. or maybe im just retarded. either is very possible

• 2 weeks later...

Today I made some progress on the engine up-grade for my buggy. I picked this engine up in Phoenix, it's from a 2003 Honda Odyssey with 60,000 miles on it. I was able to get the engine as shown with a power steering pump and an alternator for $900.00. The engine weighs in at 380lbs with the pallet.

100_1228.jpg

100_1227.jpg

100_1226.jpg

I have a Rancho-built 091 in my 4-seater with a Shortstar... two seasons no tranny problems. I don't drive it hard but I definitely dune it.

BTW... reverse on an 091/V6 combo is for looks only. :P

Thanks for that good advice! :duniemonkie:

• 4 weeks later...

Today I made some progress on the engine up-grade for my buggy. I picked this engine up in Phoenix, it's from a 2003 Honda Odyssey with 60,000 miles on it. I was able to get the engine as shown with a power steering pump and an alternator for $900.00. The engine weighs in at 380lbs with the pallet.

100_1228.jpg

100_1227.jpg

100_1226.jpg

What are you doing with the wiring and ecu, are you sending it out or doing it yourself?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got a break from the F100 project, so I have been working on the buggy. First thing I did was purchase 60 feet of 1.5" Chrome moly tubing. I decided to re-work the entire rear end of the buggy instead of trying to make the existing work. Then I got the clutch kit, a KEP 228mm (9 inch) 6-pad disc with "stage 3" pressure plate, KEP adapter plate and 091 trans from Don's Bus Box, the Sand Pro Max. Kraut_n_Rice set me up with the wiring harness and ECU. Because of the new location of the trans/drive flanges in relation to the rear hubs, the axles were sent to Kartek to be shortened 3/8".

100_1760.jpg

100_1735.jpg

100_1744.jpg

100_1800.jpg