Allison Tranny question,,,,

Free Agent

I think I have the very first GM 2500 HD pickup Allison 1000 tranny.

Now, at 105.000 miles, it will occasionally only shift to 3rd gear and stay there.

It won't shift to 4th or 5th (OD). 3900 RPM at 48 MPH.

If you stop the truck for 5 minutes with the motor off, it will then resume shifting normally.

No problems.

I'm asking the DDR jury if:

Have you experienced this?

What was the cause and fix? Solenoids, the board, linkage not plumb?

I'm convinced to only get Allisons work done at an Allison shop or GM dealer so that's where I may take it.

INDY trans shops rarely fix Allisons, they seem want to sell ya a new one from what I've seen.

Dunefreak talks like his is a reputable, honest shop with a trans guy that knows what he's looking at.

May swing by there.

But wondering if anyone else experienced this?

When was the last time u changed the external filter and the fluid in the pan??? When u removed the filter, how dirty is the magnet???

Do u have a programmer?

Dunefreak works at a dealership that is the only Chevy place in town that does good work!!!

Also check out www.dieselplace.com :think:

sounds like its limping...you can limp the tranny if you are running a programmer that puts more torque to the alli than it can handle

are you running a programmer?

it could also be a harness inside, as that happened to mine back when i bought it...

if you change the fluid, go with transynd, 30-40 dollars a gallon, but if running full synthetic (3 changes with transynd) then you are fully synthetic, and can go 150K until you need to change your fluid

sounds like its limping...you can limp the tranny if you are running a programmer that puts more torque to the alli than it can handle

are you running a programmer?

it could also be a harness inside, as that happened to mine back when i bought it...

if you change the fluid, go with transynd, 30-40 dollars a gallon, but if running full synthetic (3 changes with transynd) then you are fully synthetic, and can go 150K until you need to change your fluid

You said "limp"!!!! :beer_bang: :think:

Thanks for the takes.

All the filters and fluid get changed every 25K.

I just changed the sparkplugs, and what a difference in power!!!

Book says every 100K on the plugs, I say perhaps change them by 75K, huge difference.

I'm speculating it went into limp mode.

Can't imagine why?

Been warned the next episode will shut off the motor.

But, damfino.

8.1 Allison 2001.

For you Allison Trans owners:

Their are 2 types of pan filters and a spin on filter.

The pan filters are a shallow style, and a deep style.

They are designed so ya can't mix them up,, but some GM dealers are installing the wrong pan filter anyway, forcing it on.

You will eventually get limp mode when this happens.

The incorrect pan filter, worn out thrust washers, bad solenoids and some seal leaks are all that usually effects the Allisons.

Some early Allisons had control boards that could be prone to contamination, but haven't heard that complaints in a long spell.

Anyone know if the good tranny guy still works at Petes Dealer.

Or would someone ask Pete for me.

Thanks.

are you from the east bay?

send pete a PM...ask him about the tranny guy...or even sanddunesaddict....he would know too

again...you from the east bay?

We have a place in Cool at Auburn Trails and in Sumerlin in LV.

I think Pete quite talking to me after I posted the for Petes sake thread.

Too much embarrassment I rekon'.

It had to all come out and clear the air on all Petes shenanigans.

Seriously, Pete did have a tranny guy working with him that was/is honest and knowledgeable.

We're thinking now I filled the truck with gas that had Stabil in it, perhaps put the engine into limp mode fouling the emissions.

That's all we've been able to figure out.

No check engine lite,, I have a "service engine soon" lite so that threw me.

We have a place in Cool at Auburn Trails and in Sumerlin in LV.

I think Pete quite talking to me after I posted the for Petes sake thread.

Too much embarrassment I rekon'.

It had to all come out and clear the air on all Petes shenanigans.

Seriously, Pete did have a tranny guy working with him that was/is honest and knowledgeable.

We're thinking now I filled the truck with gas that had Stabil in it, perhaps put the engine into limp mode fouling the emissions.

That's all we've been able to figure out.

No check engine lite,, I have a "service engine soon" lite so that threw me.

Too much embarrassment? :dope: Not even close. How do you figure I was embarrassed or "quit talking to you"? I thought the thread was pretty funny. Besides, I have never even met you other than online so how could I quit talking to you? :beercheers:

You come up with some whacked out sh*t from time to time....like the last pm you sent me. :beercheers: I actually wrote you back but never got a response.

• 1 month later...

Too much embarrassment? :laughoff: Not even close. How do you figure I was embarrassed or "quit talking to you"? I thought the thread was pretty funny. Besides, I have never even met you other than online so how could I quit talking to you? :think:

You come up with some whacked out sh*t from time to time....like the last pm you sent me. :MBdance: I actually wrote you back but never got a response.

Was just kidding Pete.

Loosen up. A sense of humor would serve you well.

Edited by Free Agent