Where is Riggs Section House?

Ruark

I'm new here, posting from Texas. I'm not a dune rider (but it looks like fun!), but I seriously need some help in locating something in the Dumont area from you guys. Let me explain:

In 1923, my mother's uncle, "Uncle Bonnie" left Langsford with his wife, daughter and her two small babies. Heading east, they passed Leach's Point and Owl Hole Springs. This was in the hottest part of the summer, with no food or water. They didn't anticipate any problems (rolls eyes).

At some point after passing Owl Hole Springs, they encountered a stretch of road that was surfaced with railroad ties, as some were back then to help people cross a sandy spot.

Their car, probably a Model T (1923, remember), slipped off the edge of the ties and got hopelessly stuck in the sand. Uncle Bonnie got out of the car and it was so hot, he passed out and fell to the ground in a couple of seconds, and couldn't get back up. Finally he prayed for help, and the Lord must have heard him, because he then got up and started walking for help. The others walked over to an abandoned shack to get out of the sun and wait.

It was after dark when Uncle Bonnie staggered through the front door of the Riggs Section House and collapsed on the floor, almost dead. "Death Valley Jack" Nickerson (who is buried in Silver Lake cemetery) was there. Nickerson held his ear down to Bonnie's lips. A few seconds later, he was speeding into the desert. All were saved, but they barely made it. Those two babies are in their 80's today.

This March, my mother and I (she's 86, but tough as shoe leather) will be in Las Vegas visiting my father, and we want to make a side trip to that area. We want to try to reconstruct the route Bonnie took after leaving Owl Hole Springs, and if possible, find the place where he went off the road. I'm sure he went down what is now known as Saratoga Springs Road, but it's hard to tell. 1923 was a long time ago. Highway 127 was there, but hadn't been paved yet.

But one thing WAS there: "Riggs Section House." I did a Google search for it, and ONE single link came up: a post on this forum, back in 2007, from a guy named "Duneshredder." I understand it had a lot of concrete in the walls and much of it is still standing. Obviously, it would be fantastic to find it. Can somebody here please help me locate exactly where it is, preferably on a map? Is it visible in Google Satellite View?

I'm also checking around for somebody who could take us to Owl Springs. The roads to there are supposed to be well maintained, but we'll be in rented passenger car and it's never a good idea to take chances in the desert.

I sincerely apologize for coming in here, not being a dune rider, but you guys are my ONLY hope to find that place.

Thanks very much,

Ron Morgan

Contact Pat aka Sandawg. He helped map out the Mojave Desert back in the day. I beleive he has some books also. Just click on his name and you can PM him. (Personal Message). Real nice guy and would love to help you in your quest. Hell, he may want to go with you.

Skyz

Edit: Just click on this link, scroll down a little way, and on the right side it says. send personal message

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/i...p?showuser=3374

Edited by desertskyz

ok...here is where I think you will find what you are looking for...BUT..i recommend you take PLENTY OF WATER, FOOD, and lots of warm clothes in case you break down and have to spend the night

heading up the 127 from Baker, towards Dumont rd......to dumont road, its about 30 miles, but you wont go that far...at about the 25-28 mile mark, the road jogs to the left a bit, then corrects back to the right, with rather sharp turns. any way... Dumont dunes WILL be visible to your right, at about your 1-3 oclock...you cannot miss them. anyway, about another mile is saratoga springs road...youre going to want to turn left there

untitled.jpg

Now, saratoga springs road looks to be a dirt road. you are going to want to stay on THAT road...do not turn on any other road...for 10 -12 miles.

there will be a road that veers off of Saratoga springs road to the left...that is owl hole springs road

untitled2.jpg

stay on owl hole springs road. there will be an intersection with another dirt road from the left that dead-ends @ owl hole springs road. the original owl hole spring is just west-northwest of that intersection

untitled3.jpg

so there is your starting point

some information about how long to the spring from the 127 can be foundhere about 2/3rds down the page

Edited by Richard Cheese

This is a cool story, I hope they find what they are looking for and post some pictures back up on here.

Good Luck with your hunt and be sure to take plenty of food and water, warm and cool clothes,make sure cell phones are charged and a gps would be a good idea incase you get lost and need to notifty the authorities of where you are.

Edited by bp-guy

ok...here is where I think you will find what you are looking for...BUT..i recommend you take PLENTY OF WATER, FOOD, and lots of warm clothes in case you break down and have to spend the night

heading up the 127 from Baker, towards Dumont rd......to dumont road, its about 30 miles, but you wont go that far...at about the 25-28 mile mark, the road jogs to the left a bit, then corrects back to the right, with rather sharp turns. any way... Dumont dunes WILL be visible to your right, at about your 1-3 oclock...you cannot miss them. anyway, about another mile is saratoga springs road...youre going to want to turn left there

untitled.jpg

Now, saratoga springs road looks to be a dirt road. you are going to want to stay on THAT road...do not turn on any other road...for 10 -12 miles.

there will be a road that veers off of Saratoga springs road to the left...that is owl hole springs road

untitled2.jpg

stay on owl hole springs road. there will be an intersection with another dirt road from the left that dead-ends @ owl hole springs road. the original owl hole spring is just west-northwest of that intersection

untitled3.jpg

so there is your starting point

some information about how long to the spring from the 127 can be foundhere about 2/3rds down the page

Great job Cheezy. I had that general area as a starting point but off of Ibex road further north on 127.

I'm sure your closer to his destination!!!! Sure not finding any thing of value about the Section House though.

I can't even imagine getting around the area at that time in a "Tee"

Damn Hardy folks!!!! :hello:

Edited by SANDAWG

Great job Cheezy. I had that general area as a starting point but off of Ibex road further north on 127.

I'm sure your closer to his destination!!!! Sure not finding any thing of value about the Section House though.

I can't even imagine getting around the area at that time in a "Tee"

Damn Hardy folks!!!! :hello:

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your joining in this conversation. In all fairness, it's not Owl Springs I'm trying to find; it's Riggs Section House. It IS out there somewhere.

Apparently a LOT of people went through there in T's back in the 20's. I'm not sure what route they took, but it was apparently not uncommon.

Uncle Bonnie ran into some spot where the railroad ties were laid LENGTHWISE on the road, just enough for the tires to roll over, and they slipped off of them. They waited there for THREE DAYS and were almost dead when he finally decided to try to go for help. His wife and the babies were unconcious when he dragged them to a nearby shack. They all spent 3 weeks in a hospital recovering.

All I know is that it was that night when he staggered into the Riggs Section House and collapsed on the floor. As I said, when you do Google search for "riggs section house" you get ONE link, and it's here on the forum, from 2007. Here is a cut and paste of that post. Maybe somebody will know the spot he's talking about:

-Thanks VERY much - Ruark

(quoted message) When your headed to the North pole from camp, going through the flats, just keep going about another couple hundred yards past the north pole. You will come across a road that goes right off into the distance. You can's miss the road as it runs right beside the no offraod signs. follow that raod for @17 miles and you will be at the mines.(/quote)

That's Riggs. Named after one of the owners of the mines if I remember correctly. The road you are talking about is the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad grade. It was built by Borax Smith in the early 1900's to get his borax out Death Valley. Valjean is about 10 miles south of Dumont before you got there. If you followed the grade a little ways south of the sort of valley containing the mines you came to the Riggs section house. Although it like the Sperry version was adobe the shorter walls of the Riggs version were cement so there is more left of it. Riggs like Sperry stored water in a cistern and it remains as well.

were it connects to the railroad it looks like an old concrete house or something but im not sure.

I wonder if it's the two buildings (one is the Riggs house) just to the left of Riggs Road's intersection with CR 20554:

http://tinyurl.com/ych4nkl

CR20554 looks like it could be along a railroad bed or something. I don't see anything else out there.

Thanks,

Ruark

I wonder if it's the two buildings (one is the Riggs house) just to the left of Riggs Road's intersection with CR 20554:

CR20554 looks like it could be along a railroad bed or something. I don't see anything else out there.

Thanks,

Ruark

thats what im thinking is that CR20554 rd is part of the werethe tracks were

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your joining in this conversation. In all fairness, it's not Owl Springs I'm trying to find; it's Riggs Section House. It IS out there somewhere.

Apparently a LOT of people went through there in T's back in the 20's. I'm not sure what route they took, but it was apparently not uncommon.

Uncle Bonnie ran into some spot where the railroad ties were laid LENGTHWISE on the road, just enough for the tires to roll over, and they slipped off of them. They waited there for THREE DAYS and were almost dead when he finally decided to try to go for help. His wife and the babies were unconcious when he dragged them to a nearby shack. They all spent 3 weeks in a hospital recovering.

All I know is that it was that night when he staggered into the Riggs Section House and collapsed on the floor. As I said, when you do Google search for "riggs section house" you get ONE link, and it's here on the forum, from 2007. Here is a cut and paste of that post. Maybe somebody will know the spot he's talking about:

-Thanks VERY much - Ruark

(quoted message) When your headed to the North pole from camp, going through the flats, just keep going about another couple hundred yards past the north pole. You will come across a road that goes right off into the distance. You can's miss the road as it runs right beside the no offraod signs. follow that raod for @17 miles and you will be at the mines.(/quote)

That's Riggs. Named after one of the owners of the mines if I remember correctly. The road you are talking about is the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad grade. It was built by Borax Smith in the early 1900's to get his borax out Death Valley. Valjean is about 10 miles south of Dumont before you got there. If you followed the grade a little ways south of the sort of valley containing the mines you came to the Riggs section house. Although it like the Sperry version was adobe the shorter walls of the Riggs version were cement so there is more left of it. Riggs like Sperry stored water in a cistern and it remains as well.

i know you werent looking for owl springs...but in your story, you said your relatives broke down just east of owl hole springs...so i figured, get you to owl hole springs, and backtrack back to the east...and the house, or its remains, should be visible from the road :xmas2:

MDTHLFA (Bob) and I took a trip in my Rhino last season and found the concrete remains right where it says on the Google map . We turned left at that marker to go further east and found several old miners cabins that are being kept up for use by visitors and their current care takers. We also found several mines and equipment in that area.

Total round trip that day was 70 miles from Dumont.

I can't believe that I forgot that the road was named Riggs Road on my Google map and other info I had. A definate Senior Moment!!!!! :xmas2: The road goes right through the dry lake bed east of 127 about 15+ miles south of Dumont.

We took the old T and T right of way all the way there. Great trip and fairly accessable with a 4 wheel drive. A jeep or Rhino would be better in my opinion from Dumont, the back way. MDTHLFA knows someone that drives his truck from the 127 to his cabin.

Quite an interesting day and a great trip for a couple of old Dumont area history buffs.

:thumb: BOB :dope: Pat

I'm new here, posting from Texas. I'm not a dune rider (but it looks like fun!), but I seriously need some help in locating something in the Dumont area from you guys. Let me explain:

In 1923, my mother's uncle, "Uncle Bonnie" left Langsford with his wife, daughter and her two small babies. Heading east, they passed Leach's Point and Owl Hole Springs. This was in the hottest part of the summer, with no food or water. They didn't anticipate any problems (rolls eyes).

At some point after passing Owl Hole Springs, they encountered a stretch of road that was surfaced with railroad ties, as some were back then to help people cross a sandy spot.

Their car, probably a Model T (1923, remember), slipped off the edge of the ties and got hopelessly stuck in the sand. Uncle Bonnie got out of the car and it was so hot, he passed out and fell to the ground in a couple of seconds, and couldn't get back up. Finally he prayed for help, and the Lord must have heard him, because he then got up and started walking for help. The others walked over to an abandoned shack to get out of the sun and wait.

It was after dark when Uncle Bonnie staggered through the front door of the Riggs Section House and collapsed on the floor, almost dead. "Death Valley Jack" Nickerson (who is buried in Silver Lake cemetery) was there. Nickerson held his ear down to Bonnie's lips. A few seconds later, he was speeding into the desert. All were saved, but they barely made it. Those two babies are in their 80's today.

This March, my mother and I (she's 86, but tough as shoe leather) will be in Las Vegas visiting my father, and we want to make a side trip to that area. We want to try to reconstruct the route Bonnie took after leaving Owl Hole Springs, and if possible, find the place where he went off the road. I'm sure he went down what is now known as Saratoga Springs Road, but it's hard to tell. 1923 was a long time ago. Highway 127 was there, but hadn't been paved yet.

But one thing WAS there: "Riggs Section House." I did a Google search for it, and ONE single link came up: a post on this forum, back in 2007, from a guy named "Duneshredder." I understand it had a lot of concrete in the walls and much of it is still standing. Obviously, it would be fantastic to find it. Can somebody here please help me locate exactly where it is, preferably on a map? Is it visible in Google Satellite View?

I'm also checking around for somebody who could take us to Owl Springs. The roads to there are supposed to be well maintained, but we'll be in rented passenger car and it's never a good idea to take chances in the desert.

I sincerely apologize for coming in here, not being a dune rider, but you guys are my ONLY hope to find that place.

Thanks very much,

Ron Morgan

Ron,

I'm a Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad fan out of Las Vegas and have been to Riggs many times. If I'm working in March somebody from the Tonopah & Tidewater mailing list at yahoogroups.com might be able to lead you out there. Simply search for the Tonopah and Tidewater group and send a email to the list owner. That's me. Consider renting a 4 wheel drive mostly for the sake of your mother. Legally you will need to come in from the south. Riggs Road is north of the cemetery at Silver Lake. The Section House is very close to intersection of Riggs Road and the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad grade.

Unlike most other section houses on the T&T the end walls at Riggs were made of concrete. They remain although fallen. Like many stops on the T&T Riggs was dry and water was hauled in, the cistern remains.

PM me on this list with your email and I will be happy to help in any way I can, I am rather busy for awhile but will get maps sat photos and GPS info off to you when I get time.

There's also a Tonopah and Tidewater website that may be of help to. Simply google Tonopah and Tidewater.

Eli

Now that I think about there a couple of mailing list members from Texas. I should be able to put you in touch with them as well.

Edited by eli

Thanks,

Ruark

That white spot west of the road and by the co2 lettering appears to be it but you can't zoom it far enough to be absolutely sure.

Eli

The Section House is very close to intersection of Riggs Road and the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad grade.

Is that grade the "CR 20554" that intersects it on Google Maps?

You're right, a 4x4 would be called for - but I'd like to pay somebody that is familiar with the area to take us there. We'll gladly pay for his/her time and gas.

The main mystery is, what route did they take after leaving Owl Hole Springs, and where did they go off the road? All we know (remember, this was back in 1923) is that it was a stretch where there were railroad ties laid lengthwise down the road. They slipped off of them and were stuck in the sand. This was in July, by the way.

They stayed with the car for 3 days, and when his wife and babies (3 months and 18 months) became unconcious, he dragged them to a "nearby shack" and left for help.

The only other thing we know is that it was nighttime when he staggered into the Riggs Section House and passed out on the floor. I don't know if he walked only at night, or what. In any case, I don't think he went off the road near Owl Hole Springs - that would have been WAY too far from the section house. Nobody in his condition could have walked that far.

I'm guessing he was walking on or near 127 (which hadn't been paved at that time), saw a light at the section house in the distance, and headed for it.

Thanks a bunch,

Ruark

You're right, a 4x4 would be called for - but I'd like to pay somebody that is familiar with the area to take us there. We'll gladly pay for his/her time and gas.

The main mystery is, what route did they take after leaving Owl Hole Springs, and where did they go off the road? All we know (remember, this was back in 1923) is that it was a stretch where there were railroad ties laid lengthwise down the road. They slipped off of them and were stuck in the sand. This was in July, by the way.

They stayed with the car for 3 days, and when his wife and babies (3 months and 18 months) became unconcious, he dragged them to a "nearby shack" and left for help.

The only other thing we know is that it was nighttime when he staggered into the Riggs Section House and passed out on the floor. I don't know if he walked only at night, or what. In any case, I don't think he went off the road near Owl Hole Springs - that would have been WAY too far from the section house. Nobody in his condition could have walked that far.

I'm guessing he was walking on or near 127 (which hadn't been paved at that time), saw a light at the section house in the distance, and headed for it.

Thanks a bunch,

Ruark

I haven't had time to look for owl springs but the name rings a bell. The railroad was still in use in 1923 so the grade isn't the road you are looking for. Unless it was one of the Silver Lake realignments. Walking on 127 is unlikely though not impossible. I'm not sure exactly when they built it over the pass but the first road was a truck road through Sperry Wash from Western Talc Mine. Yep the same we travel today as an approved atv route.

Again join and post the story on the nvshortline list at yahoogroups.com. If anybody remembers anything or the tale was told....one of the members (who was raised in a boxcar along the T&T) may know something about it.

Eli

Edited by eli

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a bunch,

Ruark

Well when I didn't hear from Ruark I went ahead and posted the story on the T&T mailing list.

The wonderful news is the guy I was referring to is still able to return emails. He's not that much younger than Ruark's mother. His history is interesting. His father was killed in a flash flood in the desert. Strange way to die in the desert. He was raised for much of his life in a converted box car on a work train parked where ever needed along the T&T. He worked in many of the mines around the area. He went to college and discovered a better way of making magnesium and became very successful.

Well it was worth a try.....

He recalls that they were parked at Riggs several times and Valjean once. He doesn't recall that Saratoga Springs road had that much sand and doesn't recall a road with ties but says it's possible. He agrees Owl Springs seem too far for a man in that condition. I asked why Riggs and not Valjean which would have been closer and easier to see a light from 127. He replied that the road to Riggs was and is a freeway compared to the road to Valjean.

Gary