V-Rex

dunefreak

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about re-inventing the sandrail! :rockwoot::laughoff:

:banghead: unlike ANYTHING else! .........

normal_DSCF6518.jpg

all I gotta say is- I ain't ever workin on it! :laughing: That's a freaking tight fit! :laughoff:

Thanx Pete :rockon:

actualy working on it will be very easy (Ryan made that very clear when we started to "brainstorm" V-Rex together :laughoff: )

all the panels, floor boards, skidplates and heat shields around and under the engine will be removable (i use everywhere the same size stainless allen head bolts that go in tabs with weld-on nuts)

i duno about re-inventing :rockon: ...but a lot of details on V-Rex are kinda new on a sandrail. i replaced lots of tubing with "formed and welded-in-place" steel plates ....the idea of this "monochoque" design is not new but you dont see it very often on rails.

i just finished the exhaust trim ....(i put lots of hours in that detail :driver: )

normal_DSCF6668.jpg

i kinda wanted a twin gun barrel look....the rings around the exhaust tips are actualy a short slice from a 5" semi truck exhaust pipe :laughoff:

normal_DSCF6598.jpg

the mufflers will be completely enclosed and the rear sway bar will run inside the rear "bumper"

still lots of work left :headbang: ....but im having fun :banghead:

• 3 months later...

So what happened with V-rex? No updates here or at V8Rail! I want to see the finished beast! :drinkbeer:

Last update is that the motor has been broken-in on the dyno and he was just waiting for a few parts I believe before it goes to powdercoat. Anything above and beyond taht, I'll try and keep ya updated. Ryan can't wait to get this thing out to Dumont. :driver::laughing: ...me too...I wanna ride!!!! :watching:

• 2 weeks later...

ok..................................

.....is it done yet

Edited by barefoot bob

yes the turbo 400 is real iffy @ 1000hp that is where stock gm trans fails. the reason the trans never broke before this past trip was because of the tires were 16.50s less traction! the reason for using a t-400 behind the ford was for engine brake when you downshift. dudleys transmission built the trans and someone didnt put the correct parts in the trans, therefore it failed! i took the car down to them & they pulled trans. realized it was completely stock. they called me and said they would fix trans for free! no charge because there old shop boss screwed me. they pulled the trans and fixed it for free! now that is hard to find around from any shop! dudley trans is a great shop! the new car will be here soon (it is the sleeper model)

yes the turbo 400 is real iffy @ 1000hp that is where stock gm trans fails. the reason the trans never broke before this past trip was because of the tires were 16.50s less traction! the reason for using a t-400 behind the ford was for engine brake when you downshift. dudleys transmission built the trans and someone didnt put the correct parts in the trans, therefore it failed! i took the car down to them & they pulled trans. realized it was completely stock. they called me and said they would fix trans for free! no charge because there old shop boss screwed me. they pulled the trans and fixed it for free! now that is hard to find around from any shop! dudley trans is a great shop! the new car will be here soon (it is the sleeper model)

cool i was told they do im waiting to see the new one looks interesting...........

question did you leave the turbos low like that and if so isnt that gonna make for some hot tootsies it looks close ???

Edited by barefoot bob

double wall heat shield with 1/4" space between the shields at the turbo area. i hope it's not to hot. but if it is,i will order some of the tiles from nasa :D

nasa tile i doubt it gets that hot but

:laughoff::slap::laughoff::coocoo::idiot::slap::boxer:

biult in heater .................. for us barefooted drivers it might get iffy :fro:

have a hot foot like that tough actin tanactin commercial :thumb:

Edited by barefoot bob