"Speeds around the camp sites are out of control".

sandawg

Yes, there IS the (rarely enforced) law at Dumont which states 15 mph anywhere near 50 feet of a camp.

I remember a situation a few years ago with a kid doing wheelies near someones trailer, and attempted hit and run and then the kids mouthy father backing out of a serious beatdown. :laughoff:

Something about "There's no speed limit out here." :think:

i already had this happen to me . some genius on a 450 was dragracing next to the trailers. i came out on a slow roll and he almost hit me. instead of apoligising or just going away he decideds to be stupid and turns and roosts me !!!!! ..................... really bad idea for him. i guess he just didnt realise his lil scooter will not out run 700 hp i side rossted him twice and then pulled in front of him made him stop and then i after a few thousand cuss words i let him know there was no speeding 50' from a camp. lol capt kllm and jame were like :lol::ban-split: i was :rant_on: and the perpatrator was like :blink: so ends my story .......

i already had this happen to me . some genius on a 450 was dragracing next to the trailers. i came out on a slow roll and he almost hit me. instead of apoligising or just going away he decideds to be stupid and turns and roosts me !!!!! ..................... really bad idea for him. i guess he just didnt realise his lil scooter will not out run 700 hp i side rossted him twice and then pulled in front of him made him stop and then i after a few thousand cuss words i let him know there was no speeding 50' from a camp. lol capt kllm and jame were like :old::blink: i was :rant_on: and the perpatrator was like :lol: so ends my story .......

:thumb:

It is not always a good idea (safe) to confront idiots but self policing seems to be the only way to get through to these dip sh*ts There are a lot more of us than LEO's. (cops)

I think we all have done it at one time or another!!! Right MDTHLFA (Bob)???? And it did work!!! :ban-split:

:old:

Edited by SANDAWG

:thumb:

It is not always a good idea (safe) to confront idiots but self policing seems to be the only way to get through to these dip sh*ts There are a lot more of us than LEO's. (cops)

I think we all have done it at one time or another!!! Right MDTHLFA (Bob)???? And it did work!!! :laughing:

:old:

probably so but i aint skeered ....................................................... :blink:

Pete's right - you can't fix stupid! :laughing: I love the sign!

A couple years ago on NY weekend, some mofo was speeding on a quad ran into our friend's flat bed trailer. The guy was being a real idiot and you could tell he was hammered. We got the BLM, who confiscated his yfz and threw him in jail!

:blink:

"Last trip it was brought to our attention that the speeds around the camp sites are out of control. That issue will be a main focus of ours this go around".

Above is a quote from another post by a member of the SBSO.

I know the rule about slowing down within a short distance of camp sites.

What I don't understand is the speeds that are tolerated on the flats in general. We live with the dust it creates and the potential for a serious accident but it is getting worse, isn't it?

If you happen to camp close to a main return route from the dunes or Comp hill there seems to be no speed limit. Since we usually camp west of the road it seems to much worse here. We've camped east of the road and it didn't seem as bad.

Is this because it is considered part of the dunes? With the number of campers on the flats , is it time to rethink this rule?

Primarily it is the younger demographic of riders like from 14 to 25 or so, both male and female.

More recently more of the larger faster mega rails are opening them up on the flats also. Older drivers that should be more responsible!!! Generally, doing "Wheelies" showing off or just acting like fools. I am not talking about way out away from the camps but certainly too close for comfort.

Also there appears to be a speed limit on the road from the entrance to at least the first finger that is not enforced either, as it appears to me. I have been rocked and dusted on the road trying to maintain the posted speed limit. At least, it is posted up by the Ranger Compound.

:thumb: IMHO it, the flats from the entrance to the dunes should be consider the camping area and speeds limited.

Anyone else have the same belief? Or am I "Peeing on a forest fire"?

I totaly agree . We usualy camp just past the entrance of comp or the end of the old vendors row. What I have noticed is that since they moved the vendors 1. there is a lot less patrol in this area now and peeps seem to haul :laughing: in all directions in this area now (toilet #8) vicinity and have had more close calls and seen more idiots racing the big rails through here the last three trips

4 years ago on T- day I counted 3 areas where they had radar guns nailing everybody but just warning them and issuing very few citations.

The way I see it is give a few tickets to the ones who are really out of control and the word will get out fast.

Example I am not a Glamis person but just hearing all the stories about the LEOS out there I have no reason to want to go there.

Is there a reason they cant make the whole camping area 15mph? From the cliffs to the face dune. "15mph" Print the speed limit on the pass right where you sign it.

Something like OGP's idea is what I would like to see. :thumb:

I do see the problem with enforcement but maintain the 15 MPH close to camps and 25 everywhere else on the flats would sure make a difference. Just let everyone know, somehow, what the SPEED LIMIT IS.

Just before I left on Saturday afternoon there was a 2 wheeler going flat out in 3rd or 4th gear that passed the east end of Vendor Row less that 20 or 30 feet from the first trailer on the north side!! totally ridiculous, irresponsible, inconsiderate riding!!!!!

At least continuing this thread might get some good results if enough people share their ideas and concerns and suggest solutions!

I would also like to see the BLM and SBSO get on this site and participate in the discussion!!! I know your out there lurking! :laughing::D

:blink:

Edited by SANDAWG

Is there a reason they cant make the whole camping area 15mph? From the cliffs to the face dune. "15mph" Print the speed limit on the pass right where you sign it.

screw that...if there's no one camps near where I'm driving I'm going faster than 15 to get to the dunes. :DDRrocks::flipoff:

Not so much speeding, but the LEO's out there..........some of em , gimme a friggin break. We were sittin at comp thurs night. 3 leo vehicles behind us, WITH family or friends, lighting campfires with GAS ( i thought we werent supposed to do that, AND burning a xmas tree). THEN on same night, same place, back row, leo's behind us....people next to us start playin beer pong with a table they brought out with them, don't think 1 person was 21 and there was some little dude like 10 or 11 playing.........in plane sight of the Leo's and they did nothing........NICE JOB guys. Keep up the good work. :?: :flipoff: Then when we were leaving, the driver of one of the Tahoes looked like he was asleep. :DDRrocks:

That was one of two things that was driving me nuts this weekend. We went out the day after Christmas and enjoyed the whole week until Thursday rolled around. Some joker decides to park 25 yards away from our camp, (not that there was 900 acres of open camping spots) then decides to fly next to my truck and roost it! Never mind the slowing down or anything.

One other thing, off of the subject a little is the people that decide to take claim on the whole dune next to thier camp and go and cone it off! I know I paid just as much as they did to ride the dunes, and I know I was out there long before they were. I came cruising over the dune and no other place to go than right over a few cones and through their so called claim.

A while later 2 guys came blowing right through the middle of our camp, about hitting 4 year old boy, I couldn't catch them but I'm pretty sure I know how it was. :flipoff:

I guess I should start staking my claim when I arrive!! :DDRrocks:

Not so much speeding, but the LEO's out there..........some of em , gimme a friggin break. We were sittin at comp thurs night. 3 leo vehicles behind us, WITH family or friends, lighting campfires with GAS ( i thought we werent supposed to do that, AND burning a xmas tree). THEN on same night, same place, back row, leo's behind us....people next to us start playin beer pong with a table they brought out with them, don't think 1 person was 21 and there was some little dude like 10 or 11 playing.........in plane sight of the Leo's and they did nothing........NICE JOB guys. Keep up the good work. :?: :atv: Then when we were leaving, the driver of one of the Tahoes looked like he was asleep. :DDRrocks:

"Not so much speeding"? So that is not a problem or a concern???

Maybe I am way off line with this thread!

Maybe we should let the LEO's shut down Comp at night like they did down at Glamis!

Didn't they shut down Oldsmobile hill at night because of the problems there???

Agreed there are issues at Comp at night but........are they so bad that it should be shut down!!

Lets address one issue at a time

IMHO.

:flipoff:

"Not so much speeding"? So that is not a problem or a concern???

Maybe I am way off line with this thread!

Maybe we should let the LEO's shut down Comp at night like they did down at Glamis!

Didn't they shut down Oldsmobile hill at night because of the problems there???

Agreed there are issues at Comp at night but........are they so bad that it should be shut down!!

Lets address one issue at a time

IMHO.

:DDRrocks:

I agree with you pat one issue at a time

That was one of two things that was driving me nuts this weekend. We went out the day after Christmas and enjoyed the whole week until Thursday rolled around. Some joker decides to park 25 yards away from our camp, (not that there was 900 acres of open camping spots) then decides to fly next to my truck and roost it! Never mind the slowing down or anything. that suxs...

One other thing, off of the subject a little is the people that decide to take claim on the whole dune next to thier camp and go and cone it off! I know I paid just as much as they did to ride the dunes, and I know I was out there long before they were. I came cruising over the dune and no other place to go than right over a few cones and through their so called claim.

:?: Whats wrong with coning off a finger dune? i know some people get crazy but theres nothing wrong with it at all. I have a special needs need 4 yr old, i have to cone off an area, unfortunaltly he loves to play on the "sand hills" and he is not aware enough to realize that the people on them could harm him, and i am not gonna ruin his good time by not letting him play. I am respectuful tho and keep the cones off the actual road on top of the fingers, and keep a very close eye and ear out for others. as matter of fact i am gonna start to put more visible stuff up there like flags to alert peeps.

A while later 2 guys came blowing right through the middle of our camp, about hitting 4 year old boy, I couldn't catch them but I'm pretty sure I know how it was. :flipoff: maybe you should have put up some cones? but ya there are some real a$$hats out there.

I guess I should start staking my claim when I arrive!! :DDRrocks: i would if you have kids in the camp, that is ususally why they are there to alert people to slow down cause there are little ones in the area.

That was one of two things that was driving me nuts this weekend. We went out the day after Christmas and enjoyed the whole week until Thursday rolled around. Some joker decides to park 25 yards away from our camp, (not that there was 900 acres of open camping spots) then decides to fly next to my truck and roost it! Never mind the slowing down or anything.

A while later 2 guys came blowing right through the middle of our camp, about hitting 4 year old boy, I couldn't catch them but I'm pretty sure I know how it was. :atv:

I guess I should start staking my claim when I arrive!! :flipoff:

thats one of the reasons we camp away from every one :DDRrocks:

Surround your camp with kiddie tracks.

BTW, 50 feet is not that far. A pickup with a 30' trailer.

Should be no problem putting cones at a 50' perimeter. But you will likely invite

someone to cut through if you get out to near 100. (fingers not included) JMHO.

Edited by ntrsandman

I am all in favor of someone putting stuff out warning that kids are there and to slow down, I don't think they should be claiming the whole dune and then get pissed when someone rides through it.

I know their is always going to be some a-holes out there that will do whatever they want.

This wasn't a finger dune this was on the north end with about 2 acres coned off, one camp stuck metal stakes in the dune but Ranger Rick came by and made them take them down.