89 banshee trans or clutch ?

bullseye

I have an 89 banshee since it was new , Had it gone through about 7 years ago by a pretty repital company.

Well now I have a problem , when I engage it into gear it still rolls like it is in nuetral , I have changed the clutch and it still does the samething , tore it down again split the case all the gear cluster seems to be working ,no metal shavings in the oil or case ,shift forks are still in tack, put it back together and still the same thing is happening. Does anyone have any idea what I should look for next ,besides taking it back to another machanic first. kinda of on a budget want to get it going correctly and then I will most likely sell it since I dont ride it that often . Thanks for your Help . Jamees

Can you feel it going through the gears? Did the happen over a period of time or right away?

Yes I can feel it go thru the gears and hear it click , It seemed to be running good no slippage ,then the clutch lever had to be let out pretty far before it engaged and then it when out all at once .

I have an 89 banshee since it was new , Had it gone through about 7 years ago by a pretty repital company.

Well now I have a problem , when I engage it into gear it still rolls like it is in nuetral , I have changed the clutch and it still does the samething , tore it down again split the case all the gear cluster seems to be working ,no metal shavings in the oil or case ,shift forks are still in tack, put it back together and still the same thing is happening. Does anyone have any idea what I should look for next ,besides taking it back to another machanic first. kinda of on a budget want to get it going correctly and then I will most likely sell it since I dont ride it that often . Thanks for your Help . Jamees

Sounds like something might have gotten wedged in behind the clutch, or in the clutch pack itself and is preventing it from engaging. I'd pull the clutch pack apart an start there. Make sure that little steel ball isnt welded to the rod, and all the spring screws are tight.

Is your cable adjusted correctly? Line the arrow on the case with the arrow on the clutch arm. > <

Have you tried putting it in gear with out using the clutch while the bike is running?

What does it do when you put it in gear with out the bike running and try to push it? Will it roll like its in neutral or lock up like its in gear?

could possibly be the clutch actuator has 3 different parts, i have seen all of these happen because i have 5 banshees.

the clutch actuator lever can be worn out and rounded off which will not give the clutch rod and ball the length it needs to push the clutch out when you squeeze the lever,

it could also be the clutch ball has welded itself to the clutch rod and is spinning the whole rod with it which can bind up the clutch and not let it disengage when you let go of the lever.

another thing is when you have the side cover off make sure your plates arent sticking together.did you soak the plates in oil before you installed them? and it could be the clutch basket wore grooves into itself so when you go to let out on the lever the clutch plates are catching the grooves

how much you selling it for call me 909 436 9221 bruce

Well I believe that it is a adjustment problem , I disconnected the slutch cable an was able to to go thru all the gears and it act correctly. So I think it is an adjustment on the front of the pressure plate . I m out of town right now and it get to it when I get back home . thanks for your help .

Bruce ,I will call you when I get back to Cali ,not to sure on a price at this time want to make sure I get backrunning correctly .

thanks James

Well I believe that it is a adjustment problem , I disconnected the slutch cable an was able to to go thru all the gears and it act correctly. So I think it is an adjustment on the front of the pressure plate . I m out of town right now and it get to it when I get back home . thanks for your help .

Bruce ,I will call you when I get back to Cali ,not to sure on a price at this time want to make sure I get backrunning correctly .

thanks James

like otis said, adjust the cable first. line up that arrow on the case with the one on the clutch lever. make sure you have a little play in the lever on the handle bars. :D

• 1 month later...