Extended warranty a must for the Rzr S

Free Agent

We just got our Rzr S fixed under the extended warranty.

Blown tranny at a little over 368 miles.

That's only about 8 hours run time BTW.

The Rzr S has some unavoidable demons that will eventually haunt your bank account except with the extended warranty.

The standard warranty is 6 months, we extended ours an additional 5 years for about $536 and it is paying off.

Pays off again when ya sell it and have some transferable time left on the warranty. Helps ya stand out, seal the deal and take any risk outta it for your buyer.

Honoring the warranty is what helped propel the Sea Doo ahead in sales vs Kawai's Jet Ski some years back when they BOTH offered only mediocre stuff.

Bombardier offered dealer installed performance upgrades,, and then covered grenaded engines under warranty,, people went to Sea Doo, and never looked back.

From the takes I've read in all the Rzr and SxS forums,, Polaris is backing their product with the warranty.

The shaft snaps:

IMG_3053.jpg

Also several other ways the tranny may puke too.

Consider the aluminum skid plate from Dragonfire.

Rocks can dent your plastic stock skid plate deep enough and take out the Diff, crankcase and tranny.

We do have rogue rocks that pop up at Dumont.

Not trying to be an alarmist.

Just trying to save everyone some grief.

Edited by Free Agent

I bought the extended warranty for both of my S models and Joeduner purchased and extended warranty for his. I think it was $425 for 4 yrs on top of the factory 6 months

I bought the extended warranty for mine in November of 08 for my 09 and I beat the crap out of that RZR and have yet to have any issues mechanically with its performance.

Its not to say I wont have any problems but if I do I'm covered for 5 years and thats pretty comforting. :headbang1:

It's been written and I've been told that some of the weaker parts are now machined from forged instead of from cast.

Also Tig welds are replacing spot welds, and some other improvements.

In our case a retaining ring broke causing damage to the shift dogs and some gears.

Evidently it's told, the replacement parts are noticeably improved versions over the damaged.

If you start using oil, have the dealer run the check to see if your rings went south from intake air contamination.

That's all free and covered under warranty.

But,, and that's a big but, put the stock paper air filter back in when returning it to the dealer.

Make sure ya are not running stock air filter in the dunes.

I'm using the Rzr specified K&N that comes with the outerware and sealing grease.

Yeah, the rzr S hav their mulligans, but no matter, it's a teriffic duner, and the company fixes problems with improved parts with no hassle.

Couldn't say that about Yamaha with the first edition Raptor so many of us got burned on.

It's all good with the rzr S

Consider the aluminum skid plate from Dragonfire.

Rocks can dent your plastic stock skid plate deep enough and take out the Diff, crankcase and tranny.

We do have rogue rocks that pop up at Dumont.

Not trying to be an alarmist.

Just trying to save everyone some grief.

Remember to change your air box to something that actually works I like the Dragonfire (BTI) It's $$$ but installs without cutting and can be returned to stock without a hassle. Clean it every night without fail!

Don't put off the skid plate. My stock one came off in pieces. I'm not a big fan of aluminum skid plates. They protect OK and may be fine for the dunes but dent on the trail and don't slide over the rocks as well. It's 1/2" UHMV for me. Holtz center UHMV plate with aluminum sides and diff covers might be OK but from the look of my Polaris rock sliders the aluminum side protectors aren't gonna be pretty for long.

Eli