When it rains at Dumont

grizwald

I have had plans on going to Dumont this upcomming weekend, however with all the rain in the forcast I am a little nervous about the road in. Does it flood out or turn into slippery snott? how are the dunes after the rain? Sounds like perfect riding weather!!

Thanks for the input.

Griz

Before they put the concrete across the road at the river/creek/wash crossing it flooded the crossing pretty bad. I dont know how it is since the concrete was added, but that was the only area of the entrance road that was affected by the rains that i remember.

you should be fine.. only thing in question is the river crossing depending on how much its flowing.. worst case scenario you park at the little dunes and ride to the big dunes if you cant get across the river :D

you should be fine.. only thing in question is the river crossing depending on how much its flowing.. worst case scenario you park at the little dunes and ride to the big dunes if you cant get across the river :D

thats the best answer right there....

If it's pouring the river crossing will be flowing pretty good, but you should be fine. Just expect some potholes from the water. There was only one time I remember ever not being able to get across, Prez weekend 05. People were sitting on the entrance road for like 3-4 hours.

Ever since they expanded the concrete it has been fine, although we haven't had a crazy rain like in we did 05 since...well....05. :headbang1:

If it's pouring the river crossing will be flowing pretty good, but you should be fine. Just expect some potholes from the water. There was only one time I remember ever not being able to get across, Prez weekend 05. People were sitting on the entrance road for like 3-4 hours.

Ever since they expanded the concrete it has been fine, although we haven't had a crazy rain like in we did 05 since...well....05. :headbang1:

january 05 was nas-tay. it rained the whole month. my neighbor was having his roof done that month, heh.. it wasn't pretty.

Is this weather getting close to nasty? I don't think the weather will be bad during the weekend (as per the weather on the home page here at DDR). I just worry about my 36ft motorhome and 22ft trailer slipping all over the road tring to get into the dunes, and the little uphill just as you get the the rangers area.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Griz

you'll be fine on the lil hill and the road like everyone else said only issue is the river crossing.....

I remember in 05 people were driving from the camping area to the lil dunes to get out so they could go home...only a few people had problems with getting stuck going across the flats but it was putting a beating on the trailers and MH, and if I remember correctly some one got stuck or broke at the river crossing and caused the long delay

i remember a time a few years ago when it had rained a lot we got on the gravel road and right away we encountered big potholes every couple of feet....i'm here to tell you it was a nightmare. 50mph is normal for me, but you wouldn't be able to go 5mph that day! i'm pretty sure it was a big weekend.....huge backup of traffic, but that wasnt why you werent moving very fast.....it was those potholes. then maybe halfway in the grader was coming out. thank effen gawwwwd! not sure if that was the same time i encountered maybe 12 inches of water raging in the creek, but lots of peeps not willing to cross it. made a trip over to the mines near little dunes and noticed a toyhauler in the baby DUNES. rode over to see if we could help. it was a huge toyhauler maybe 30 feet or so and he had a broken tierod. he was on the phone to triple a and we laugh about what kind of bill he got in the end :beat: so yes it can be VERY bad when it rains a lot, whitch it's sposed to do this week.

i remember a time a few years ago when it had rained a lot we got on the gravel road and right away we encountered big potholes every couple of feet....i'm here to tell you it was a nightmare. 50mph is normal for me, but you wouldn't be able to go 5mph that day! i'm pretty sure it was a big weekend.....huge backup of traffic, but that wasnt why you werent moving very fast.....it was those potholes. then maybe halfway in the grader was coming out. thank effen gawwwwd! not sure if that was the same time i encountered maybe 12 inches of water raging in the creek, but lots of peeps not willing to cross it. made a trip over to the mines near little dunes and noticed a toyhauler in the baby DUNES. rode over to see if we could help. it was a huge toyhauler maybe 30 feet or so and he had a broken tierod. he was on the phone to triple a and we laugh about what kind of bill he got in the end :ahhhhh: so yes it can be VERY bad when it rains a lot, whitch it's sposed to do this week.

people like that need to have some patience

Ever since they expanded the concrete it has been fine, although we haven't had a crazy rain like in we did 05 since...well....05. :beat:

yup I remember that we spend the night on the entrance road and when we finally got in the river was all the way to my running board post-3503-1263965148_thumb.jpg